Boat/trailer problems - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
Boat/trailer problems

My friend has a boat for sale and he is having some problems that it would like to get fixed before selling.

Problem#1. When steering the boat the motor goes fine turning to right toward the truck passenger side. But when steering to left (end of cable where rod and small nut on end) (driver side) the motor does not go as far as it did to the right.
So when steering it will not steer as far as it should. We took of the nut off the cable and motor unhooked moves all the way as it should. Is there an adjustment for that issue.

Problem#2. Trailer lights. On the passenger side the right turn signal does not work. The running lights work fine so I don't think it is a ground problem.
Left side (driver side) works fine with running lights and turn signal. We ran a single wire (outside of boat wiring). I meter checked end of wire which connects to light unhooked and voltage is there. But when hooked up no voltage. I thought it might be the bulb. So we tried 3 new bulbs. This assembly is also new. I cannot figure this one out.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
90% of the time, if you lose turn signals or brake lights, yet the running lights work, it is a ground problem.
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
Question 1 steering tie bar is probably in the wrong hole. What engine?
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #4
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
Ronnie - We tried a separate wire and plug with it's own grounding and lights still did not work. But I will recheck the grounding. But I think we checked the grounding.
The motor is a 90 2001 Yamaha. When you refer to tie bar are you talking about the steering bar at the motor. It has only one hole with one nut on the end of the steering rod.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Try a different tow vehicle....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks SGREM, but we did try a different truck. Same thing.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
Parafirediesel
Registered Users-pm+

Parafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to PirateParafirediesel has been promoted to Pirate
On the trailer lights, have you turned all lights off and just tried the RT turn signal? When you say you tested it by running a separate wire did you run a independent and second ground as well? These are all newly run, new wires? My guess would be a bad ground or wire rubbed raw and grounding out. I know you said you didnt think it was a ground as most of the lights are working...but Ive had this exact same thing happen on my utility trailed and on customers trailers back when I worked at the shop. This is one of the reasons when I rewire lights I run a independent set of wires to every light. Gets really easy to trouble shoot then. Good luck and let us know what ya find out!!
Parafirediesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

I solved the steering problem. I unhooked the motor. Worked the the steering back and forth until it was easier to steer. Hooked up motor by turning until the steering arm was all the way out. Hooked up motor and it worked fine. There might have been some grease on the steering arm that was causing freedom of movement. Problem would be better if I unhooked steering and cleaned out the steering tube. Now if I can solve the light problem.