Need some mineral block setup ideas - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

sundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Pirate
Need some mineral block setup ideas

I throw out some mineral blocks at my house for the deer and the dang axis deer eat a whole block in one day. I want to suspend it off the ground but not buy a block feeder to hopefully make it last, yall have any ideas?
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
RandyM
Registered Users-pm+

RandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to Pirate
I did this.
build a box from plywood, probably 1/2 or thicker.
make it with 4 sides, at least 4" wider all around and about the same depth as the blocks.
attach a lid on top, with hinges.
leave the bottom open, but use heavy gauge wire (#9) attach 2 wires, from the bottom of box say 4" below, where they form a basket.
So when you drop in your block, it allows 4" (or whatever depth you decide) to protrude out the bottom,
Now place 2 T post in the ground and mount box to it.
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
EIGHTSKATE
Registered Users-pm+

EIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to Pirate
TSC or local feed stores should have black plastic mineral/salt block holder. It sets on the ground but keeps them elevated and has drains, I use them for cattle have lasted for years and only cost $6 to $8 bucks,
EIGHTSKATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

sundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
I did this.
build a box from plywood, probably 1/2 or thicker.
make it with 4 sides, at least 4" wider all around and about the same depth as the blocks.
attach a lid on top, with hinges.
leave the bottom open, but use heavy gauge wire (#9) attach 2 wires, from the bottom of box say 4" below, where they form a basket.
So when you drop in your block, it allows 4" (or whatever depth you decide) to protrude out the bottom,
Now place 2 T post in the ground and mount box to it.
Do you have a pic of that setup?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHTSKATE View Post
TSC or local feed stores should have black plastic mineral/salt block holder. It sets on the ground but keeps them elevated and has drains, I use them for cattle have lasted for years and only cost $6 to $8 bucks,
I could do that but when its on the ground they are able to get a better bite and can take chunks out of it. I want something to where they have to work at it.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
Google 'mineral block feeder for deer'. I think the key to making them last a while is to keep them off the ground.

here are a few ideas:
Attached Images

hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Google 'mineral block feeder for deer'. I think the key to making them last a while is to keep them off the ground.

here are a few ideas:
Thanks, I saw those, I just didnt want to spend alot of money on them
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
hog_down
Registered Users-pm+

hog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Piratehog_down has been promoted to Pirate
I have one that is very similar to the top 2 pics. Basically a square of sheetmetal with a lid, and it holds 2 blocks. There is a metal 'stop' on the bottom, so a good chunk of the block is exposed.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Don't see how you're going to keep the axis out of it. Hard to get to or not if they're needing that nutrient they're going to get in it. May want to shift to another type of block with different nutrients and bury it leaving the top of the block level with the ground.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
switch to a ranch house block...
hard as heck...
us salt co out of hou
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message