Fan Boats Outlawed on Conroe Lake? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Bow Fishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Salty1
Registered Users-pm+

Salty1 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Texasflag3 Fan Boats Outlawed on Conroe Lake?

I just started bowfishing and got to go out on Lake Conroe one time and I am hooked. My friend that took me out told me he has heard from some of his buds that they have recently been issued warning tickets by TPWD for bowfishing from the fanboats. They said that TPWD said that a new regulation is in effect for Lake Conroe that you can't have any fan boat over 90 decibals.

He said that the federal PWD is issuing tickets on the north end of the lake with no warnings even though this is a new reg and nothing has been published or is in writing anywhere that we can find.

Does anyone know about this? Does anyone know where to find this in writing? His boat is really quiet but not at 90 decibals. From what he told me 90 decibals is about what a normal conversation is carried at.

A normal outboard is a lot louder than that so we all better be ready for that to be next...

Every time he takes his boat out near Lewis Creek there is a lady that complains on him and any other fan boats that comes up in there. She has a house on the water on Pelican Island with a pier and a submerged light and places a lot of complaints on anyone that bow fishes in the cove. The MCSO and Constables all know her by name.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this NEW reg, please let me know?
Salty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
bowfishrp
Another hated bowfisherman

bowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Pirate
90 decibels is pretty loud. A vacuum is 70 and my generator is about 70 also.

We have been trying to find where and who has this law and the only thing we have been able to find out is that it has to do with the National Forest. From what we understand from the local TPWD is that they are NOT going to enforce it. However, a federal game warden would give you a ticket. We have been fishing up on the north end since we heard this and did not have a problem, but those park rangers were no where to be found. I have going to have to head up there and have them SHOW me where it says we cant fish with my fan boat.

I have not heard anything or seen anything in writing anywhere that says that airboats or fan boats cannot fish Conroe. We looked through the forestry regs but the only thing we found was that you were not allowed to HUNT out of an airboat.
bowfishrp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
The Federal Parks noise ordinance is not new, it started over 30 yrs ago and was directed at motorcycles and snow mobiles and chain saws etc..even covers flyovers by planes.

there may be a county ord. in place too, the sherrifs dept will know about it if you call them.
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
trodery
OllllO

trodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Piratetrodery has been promoted to Pirate

Approx. Decibel Level

Whisper, quiet library. 30db

Normal conversation, sewing machine, typewriter. 60db

Lawnmower, shop tools, truck traffic; 8 hours per day is the maximum exposure to protect 90% of people. 90db

Chainsaw, pneumatic drill, snowmobile; 2 hours per day is the maximum exposure without protection. 100db

Sandblasting, loud rock concert, auto horn; 15 minutes per day is the maximum exposure without protection. 115db

Gun muzzle blast, jet engine; noise causes pain and even brief exposure injures unprotected ears. Maximum allowed noise with hearing protectors. 140db

Last edited by trodery; 03-10-2008 at 04:25 PM.
trodery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
bowfishrp

bowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Piratebowfishrp has been promoted to Pirate
Well if it is a noise ordinance that is the problem then I have nothing to worry about. My fan is quieter than my generator at idle....it is loud when I get on it. HOWEVER, how are they are going to enforce it????? Does the noise ordinance say at what distance it is to be measured? You see you cannot judge noise level unless you state how far away you are to the noise object. In other words they would have to say no more than 90 db at a distance or 10 ft away.

Guess I will have to run down to Radio Shack and buy one of those noise testers....I think they are about $50 and if I get hassled I can whip it out and answer any questions they might have.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Salty1
Registered Users-pm+

Coastal Outfitters, it sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable on the matter. What is the federal CFR, USC, or federal regulation citation number? It makes sense because the guys that we have heard about getting the tickets from the federal PWD have been on the far north end of the lake near the national forest. Is the federal threshold 90 decibels? May be this is what they are referring to? If so, that would leave the rest of the lake for us to enjoy?

Has anyone been cited by the federal PWD for this violation on Lake Conroe or stopped by the TPWD and received a warning or a citation for this? What did they cite you for? What did they tell you? Has anyone heard of a county ordinance on this?

My friend’s boat is really quiet at idle and probably only exceeds the 90 decibels initially to get the fans going but then it gets pretty quiet.

I have to admit that I probably make more noise than that when I actually connect with a fish…
Old 03-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
no, can't cite a regulation, but pull some federal parks on the net.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recrea...gen_info.shtml
It has to do with if the park is considered a wilderness area and also if it has posted noise ordinences at the check in.

I suspect they enforce all park regs if they feel you are crossing their boundaries.....even if you aren't a guest...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/maps/f...p_sam_2005.pdf

2 other things to know

you have to have a nat. park approved flame arresting muffler on generators and motors in general

generators can't be run late at night

good luck

good luck
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
bowfishrp

I spoke with another bowfishing team this weekend and they had some bowfishing friends that got a ticket above 1097 about 3 weeks ago. They did not say if they were in a fan or airboat or what the actual ticket was for.

I got the phone number of the law enforcement officer for the Sam Houston Nat
Forest....he is not in yet but I will call him back this afternoon. The lady I spoke with said that if any tickets were being written he would know about it.

At this point I just want to know what the tickets are for.....I will let you know what I find.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Salty1
Registered Users-pm+

I am anxious to hear too. I get home too late to call their office so if you can find out for the rest of us, we would all appreciate it. I saw 2 fanboats in Lewis Creek this weekend when I was passing over the bridge.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

Is there any chance these guys are getting a ticket for being in the park without a park day pass or

"hunting" in a park with a non approved weapon???