Lone Star Kayak Series Event 3 Report - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
aggie182
Registered Users-pm+

aggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirate
Lone Star Kayak Series Event 3 Report

The day started like many other tournament mornings; a crappy night’s sleep with waking up every 20 minutes and finally deciding to get out of bed before the alarm even had a chance to go off. I was on the road early and stopped for my traditional tournament morning Buccees sausage and egg croissant breakfast, some ice, and some water. I got to my launch site an hour early and took my time getting my gear loaded in to the kayak, the live well filled with water, and everything situated.

With a 6am launch, it was time to begin the mission at hand - two slot redfish. My goal for the day was 2 slot redfish, I didn’t have a weight goal, I just wanted 2 fish to weigh in. The Lone Star Kayak Series allows you to weigh in 2 slot redfish and gives the angler a half pound bonus if you bring in live fish. The bonus is awarded if you have one or two live fish, not a per fish bonus. After the winding paddle in to the marsh and pushing over a few patches of oyster, I set up a drift and worked the popping cork. The popping cork and covering a lot of water is a plan of attack I rely on for tournament days. After an empty drift, I decided to make the paddle in to another marsh lake that was connected by a long and winding channel. Once in the second lake, I worked my way in to the wind to set up a drift.

Part way in to this drift, I see some birds working and made the paddle to see that they were on a school of redfish. I tossed out a paddle tail and got a bump but with the 20 mph winds, I was drifting towards the fish so fast I couldn't get a good hook set so it was over about the time it started and the fish came unbuttoned. I blew through the school of redfish and they scattered. I staked out the kayak and worked the popping cork hoping the school would reform. About 10 minutes later, the birds went back to work 200-300 yards behind me, straight in to the stiff 20 mph wind.

I made the paddle against the wind in my Tarpon 160 and was on the fish in no time. I fired a nice low cast in under the birds with my Hook Spit TNT rod and got a nice thump right away. My drag was singing and the fish felt solid. After a minute or two of fighting, I had the fish in the net, then on the stringer. I knew he was in the mid-slot but slid him over my Check-It stick real quick and saw he was in the 24” range.

Having one fish on the stringer feels good, but I needed one more to accomplish my 2 fish goal. I started another drift working the popping cork with my Hook Spit Zephyr Elite popping cork rod and picked up a beautiful 7-spot 22”-23” redfish. Whew, 2 fish on stringers, it felt good. Though neither fish were the big ones I was after, it took a lot of stress off just to have 2 strung. In the mean time, the birds reformed over another school of redfish, and off I went on the most brutal 300 yard paddle I have ever endured.

Paddling at these birds was brutal. Dragging 2 redfish and paddling in to a 20+ mph wind was draining. The birds were moving slightly away from and across me but I was determined. Once I got close to these fish, I fired another super low cast in under the birds and began bringing the paddle tail in. The redfish didn’t hit my lure real hard but once he realized he was hooked, he went nuts and his first big run was straight under my kayak. I tucked the TNT rod under the water and let him run. I knew this was a good fish.

After wrestling this fish out from under my kayak with the TNT rod, he decided he wanted to go under both of my stringers. At this point he gave me a nice salt water shower with his tail and he came out from under my stingers and slid in to my net. I got him on the boga and slid him on the Check-It stick and he was a hair over 27”. Score!!! This fish was quite an upgrade over my beautiful 7-spot redfish. As drained as I was from that brutal paddle, I decided to start my paddle back towards the truck.

The 2.5-3 mile paddle back to the truck was mostly in to a 20 mph wind and being drained, I decided I needed to make the bulk of that paddle sooner than later. I made the first part of the paddle then stopped for a gatorade and a little snack before taking off for the more brutal portion of the paddle. After getting back to the truck, getting my live well going, and loading all my gear, I was on track to make it to weigh in about an hour early. My 27” fish was mostly dead when I landed and I tried to put him in the live well hoping the nice cool water would revive him but he stayed belly up and I decided to put him on ice and focus on keeping the smaller fish alive. I carry my live well and also another large cooler with ice should I need to ice down a fish.

When I arrived at the weigh in, I felt like I had somewhere between 11 and 12 pounds and was hoping for a top-10 finish. Hearing rumors around the weigh-in site and talking to some fellow anglers on the phone, I knew there were guys coming in with some nice fish. There was already one angler at the weigh in with 2 stud fish over 27”, a rumor of another angler with a 27” and 27.5” fish and also rumors of several guys with a 27” and a 25” fish. Being early to the weigh in is nice because you can talk to other anglers about their day, get caught up on the catch rumors and just hang out after a day on the water before the chaos of the weigh in begins.

When the scales opened, I stepped up to the table for the moment of truth. I usually weigh my fish with the boga so I have an idea of what I have but for whatever reason, today I didn’t. I put my smaller fish up first and he weighed in at 25”, 5.75 pounds. He was a little longer and a little more stout than I thought he was but knowing he definitely wasn't over the slot, I didn’t spend the time to get a good measurement on him. My larger fish weighed in at 27 1/8” and tipped the scales at 7.68 pounds, for a total of 13.43 pounds plus my live weigh in bonus for a total of 13.93 pounds. Wow! I thought I a 7 pounder and a 4-5 pounder so both of my fish exceeded my expectations.

Next is the worst part of weighing in early, the wait. My fish managed to hold up against the other anglers that came in the 27” and 25” fish and even held up against a pair of 27” fish that came in late in the weigh in. I stayed in 2nd place for the duration of the weigh in. Jason Blackwell weighed in early as well with a pair of solid redfish that totaled 15.20 pounds. When the scales finally closed at 4:30, it was a great feeling to know I held on to 2nd place behind Jason. Rounding out the top 3 was Sonny Mills with 13.63 pounds and 33 of the 70 kayak anglers weighed in fish with the top 16 taking home cash and prizes. Every participant who came to the weigh in took home a bag with some newly released bass assassin colors and other swag and there were many lucky raffle winners who took home prizes ranging from soft plastics to live well gear to a fillet table to a nice Castaway rod.

The Lone Star Kayak Series (http://www.lonestarkayakseries.com) is a great series of events run by kayak anglers for kayak anglers and I am really looking forward to the next event in October. I want to give a huge thanks to the LSKS staff and crew for their tireless work in making this series run smoothly. The sponsors who make the prize packages so sweet for the participants also deserve some big credit for beefing up the payouts with some great gear.

Lastly, I want to send a huge thanks to Hook Spit Fishing Gear (http://www.hookspit.com) for hooking me up with the gear to get the job done. The Hook Spit Performance Rods are crazy good and withstand the abuse that kayak fishing our muddy oyster filled Texas marshes bring to these rods. When a fish decides he wants to run under your kayak when you are sitting in less than 12” of water, it takes a quality rod with the power to get him out but the finesse to keep him from coming unbuttoned and the TNT makes it happen. When it comes to chunking popping corks, it takes a rod with enough backbone to throw and aggressively pop the cork and the Zephyr Elite gets that job done better than any other rod I have used with popping corks. I carry both the Zephyr Elite and the TNT and both have put fish in my kayak and tournament prize money in my pocket this year. I truly believe in these rods. Most importantly, they are the best tools for doing what I love, chasing redfish in skinny water. I can’t thank Wade and his crew enough for the support and the gear. If you haven’t visited the Hook Spit store in League City, swing through and check it out. They have all the gear you need to catch your fish from the new Curado to the sweet 13 Fishing reels and also reels from many more top-notch companies and I can’t say enough about how awesome the Hook Spit Performance Rods are. They also have all of the soft plastics, jig heads, Gulp, and top waters you will need to coax the fish in to biting. It feels good to spend money at a local business over a big box store and their prices are on par with the big stores. Be sure to stop through the Hook Spit store!

Now on to the pictures:

Tagged the kayak with the neon Hook Spit logo:

The released 7-spot 23” redfish:

On the water selfie during my break paddling in:

Hoping the 27” fish would revive enough to weigh in alive. Sadly it didn’t work.

About to weigh in, Jason Blackwell in the blue shirt checking out my fish:

Plopping the first fish on the weigh in table:

The fish, I need to learn to hold them to make them look huge:

Prizes! 2nd place:

There is a Castaway rod under there too along with a Tailing Toads prize pack, cash, booze, and the trophy:

Top 3, Sonny Mills in 3rd, me in 2nd, and Jason Blackwell in 1st.
aggie182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
NOCREEK
Git Bit

NOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to PirateNOCREEK has been promoted to Pirate
Great report and pics! Congrats!
NOCREEK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Great report, congratulations on the win
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Nice report, I heard the wind was tough.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
TxAdam
Registered Users-pm+

TxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to Pirate
Great report, thanks for sharing. Congratulations!
TxAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
long shot
Registered Users-pm+

long shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Piratelong shot has been promoted to Pirate
Well done! I didnt know about this event. Ill look into October, looks like fun.
long shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
KEN KERLEY
Registered Users-pm+

KEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to PirateKEN KERLEY has been promoted to Pirate
Great report and gear commercial. congrats on you catch. I was worn out just reading the discription of your paddle. I bed it's a great event.
KEN KERLEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
aggie182
Registered Users-pm+

aggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirateaggie182 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the comments. The LSKS is a great series of events. I have met some great guys at the weigh ins who I fish with year round. If you paddle and like to catch redfish, this series is for you.
aggie182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message