Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
General Galveston Surf info request - new to SE TX

Hey guys,

I'm a frequent surf fisherman, but most of my fishing comes from Rockport and points south of there. Everything from Port 'A' to PINS...and a little bit in the Outer Banks of NC.

I've never fished the surf in this area, except one trip to High Island but I was strictly shark fishing.

My questions are pretty simple - not looking for hot spots or trying to potlick, just trying to get a good start, and a SAFE start.

When fishing the Galveston Surf, heading East to West, is there a general section of the beach where people start fishing? Or do people pretty much start at the jetties and fish all the way to SLP? My concern is people in the water/swimmers, surfers, etc. I know they typically aren't an issue at sunrise, but figured I'd ask.

Another question is one regarding safety - is there any certain areas to steer clear of for safety reasons? I know the rock groins can cause currents, and I've heard horror stories about SLP. Other than those, and common surf cautions such as bull sharks and riptides, is there any other well known hazards I should know about?

Lastly, is there a certain time of year or water temp when the trout start/stop running the surf? Or is it pretty much based on water condition/clarity and bait? I'm sure in the cooler water, the bait and the predators thin out - but is there a magic number or time of year?

Thanks in advance for any info. Again, I'm not looking for honey-holes, just trying to get a bearing on this area before I dig in.

Take care,
Shawn
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote