Prop Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
Prop Question

I know Props are specific to Hulls & Motors, my question is how much variance is there? Will a prop off a 175 be efficient on a 225 or is there going to be drastic changes in cup size and pitch? Maybe bigger blades?
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Depends on hull style and use.

For example. I ran a 29 pitch 4 blade on a 250 High output Johnson on my old 21ft Bass Boat. (Motor was actually making about 450)

I run a 16 pitch on my 300 on my big tunnel hull Southshore. My spare prop for my 300 big honkin tunnel V came off of a 150 smaller fast vhull. Works great.

So depends on what you are looking to do. If for hole shot and mid range it will probably work great.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
Possibly putting a 225 on my boat. Was wondering if the Foreman 3 blade and another cupped 4 blade I have would still be effective. Both work great on the 175 just didnt know if 50 more hp's would be enough of a difference to have to get another prop dialed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Same block? Or larger displacement block?
If same block you might gain 400-500 rpm with same prop on your boat. If larger block can't really say. If your motor manufacturers recommended RPM range can take plus 400 to 500 then you are good to go.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Its a bigger block. From a 2.8L to 4.2L, the 200 to 250 are the exact same motor just different ECM's or different tunes.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Unless your current setup is at the bottom of your RPM range it will likely over rev. Jacks prop is hard to turn RPM. You could always drop your jack plate lower to keep from over revving. It will work but you won't see full gains till you prop correctly. Could possibly re pitch existing... or sell and get new.

Jack can tell you better. If you are brave enough to question him....lol
Old 01-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #7
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrem View Post

Jack can tell you better. If you are brave enough to question him....lol
LOL, I been to his shop 3 times. Got yelled at for over greasing the hub then the 2nd time I screwed up and asked why he doesn't build 4 blade props. Surprisingly the 3rd visit he was in a good mood, I had to ask if everything was ok. lol
Old 01-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Capt_Gilligan
Trust me, I'm a professional.

Capt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to PirateCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to Pirate
That 3 blade monster will probably gain around 350rpm going from one motor to the next. The faster they spin, the more drag they have and that prop is not linear by a long shot.
Capt_Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsel47 View Post
I know Props are specific to Hulls & Motors, my question is how much variance is there? Will a prop off a 175 be efficient on a 225 or is there going to be drastic changes in cup size and pitch? Maybe bigger blades?
Curious what RPM's are you getting out of that prop on the 175 now?
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsel47 View Post
Curious what RPM's are you getting out of that prop on the 175 now?

5700 with the 3 blade 6000 with the 4 blade. The 3 blade will do 43 & the 4 blade 45. The gps once gave me a max speed of 48 on a trip with the 3 blade in pretty rough conditions where I was riding on top of the waves with the waves and wind at my back. It was a fun day 🙂