Cav plate vs trim tabs - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Cav plate vs trim tabs

Have a buddy with a 25ft panga, tiller set up with a 115 sho. He’s trying to get the nose down a bit to eat up some chop nearshore. I told him a cav plate / hydrofoil would probably get the job done. That and some wedges on the transom to get that motor tucked down a bit more. Does anyone think that is not enough? Would trim tabs benefit more? Typically I’d lean towards the tabs but the panga is such a light boat for its size and it’s pretty narrow. Any input is appreciated on this one.
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2021, 11:53 PM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Never saw a boat that didn't benefit from tabs. Smart tabs would probably be plenty. But sounds like wedges will also give him a little more versatility. Wedges are so cheap start there.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
I love my tabs on my JH v-hull. They push my bow down so it eats that chop up in the bays on windy days.
Rockfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
marlin lane
Registered Users-pm+

marlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
wedges will help-tabs are always a benefit-
marlin lane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Trim tabs are one of those things that once you have a set, you'll never want to do without. I have no idea on a Panga, wedges may do the trick.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
Which is preferable? Self leveling or hydraulic?
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Depends on the size and style of boat. For a flats boat under 20ft I like the self leveling with the pressurized cylinders like Smart Tabs. Cheaper. Work automatically. Flats boats don't have a lot of adjustment as they just like to run flat. And when running in skinny conditions things happen fast so automatic is best.

For larger and vhulls I like the hydraulic so you can dial in for the conditions.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #8
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
Thank you! Learning new things every day.
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
I have a buddy that has a 25 Panga. He has electric tabs and a Perma-trim cav plate on it. The tabs help a lot but mostly for leveling the boat side to side. The cav plate made a noticeable difference in adjusting the bow angle. They tend to ride bow high and when it gets sporty running across West Gbay the tabs couldn't hold the bow down enough to let all of that waterline work. Cav plate really helped.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirateccoker has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgrem View Post
Depends on the size and style of boat. For a flats boat under 20ft I like the self leveling with the pressurized cylinders like Smart Tabs. Cheaper. Work automatically. Flats boats don't have a lot of adjustment as they just like to run flat. And when running in skinny conditions things happen fast so automatic is best.

For larger and vhulls I like the hydraulic so you can dial in for the conditions.
I have an 18ft Gulf Coast, would these help reduce the back of the boat from dipping on take off in shallow water? It has a jack plate and I jack the engine all the way up and tuck it all the way in to take off.
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message