Motor size help - rigging out 18” aluminum boat - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
Back in the 90's I lived at elevation and had a Gruman 17ft aluminum boat with a 60hp Johnson 2st on it ... it was a great set up, managed close to 28-29mph (at elevation!) and a quick enough hole shot ... that same set up would do 35+ at sea level ... I don't think you'd need any more than a 90 on that ...
acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Those weights are for some older motors....the newer ones are a bit heavier.

I run a 90hp four stroke on a 20.5ft aluminum boat with 99" bottom with float pods and jack plate and up to 7 big biscuit heads. Motor weighs 400# I think.

If you are wanting it to run shallow I would say a 60-90hp. If more bass boat style I would say 75-115hp.
The original post stated a 2004 Mercury 125, which is an ELPTO 2 stroke. They did not make anything other than that for this year model...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 12:16 AM   #13
johnnywalkerred01
Registered Users-pm+

johnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Piratejohnnywalkerred01 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys.

I’m going to try and find a 3 cylinder 2 stroke 70 hp since I’m familiar with the engine, I like the light weight and I can keep the cost down with this engine. I was just unsure if it was enough to jump on plane and handle a heavy load. From the responses I think I can live with the performance.

So, I’m looking for a 70 hp engine , small aluminum center console and hydraulic jack plate to rig out my project if anyone has something available I Got cash LOL.

Thanks again for the discussion guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnywalkerred01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2021, 08:16 AM   #14
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

gotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywalkerred01 View Post
Thanks guys.

I’m going to try and find a 3 cylinder 2 stroke 70 hp since I’m familiar with the engine, I like the light weight and I can keep the cost down with this engine. I was just unsure if it was enough to jump on plane and handle a heavy load. From the responses I think I can live with the performance.

So, I’m looking for a 70 hp engine , small aluminum center console and hydraulic jack plate to rig out my project if anyone has something available I Got cash LOL.

Thanks again for the discussion guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
another option is to run a tiller and no console. Plus with the yamaha(and likely OMC as well) you can put some different reeds in and make a huge difference in acceleration
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
another option is to run a tiller and no console. Plus with the yamaha(and likely OMC as well) you can put some different reeds in and make a huge difference in acceleration
That's what I did to my Mercury 115/125 and it did indeed make a difference...in alot of ways...
Old 01-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

gotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
That's what I did to my Mercury 115/125 and it did indeed make a difference...in alot of ways...
I put a set of chris carson reeds in my 40hp jet and removed the limiters on the reed blocks. huge difference.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #17
PicoPop
Registered Users-pm+

PicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to PiratePicoPop has been promoted to Pirate
That 3 cylinder OMC 2 stroke is a great motor!!! So is the 3 cylinder 2 stroke Yamaha. I think you would be happy with the performance of either. I went with the 4 cylinder on my boatrigh and regretted it from the start... too heavy and on an alumnium flat bottom hull you are not going to make a giant difference in top end between the two.
PicoPop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
bwguardian
archTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
I put a set of chris carson reeds in my 40hp jet and removed the limiters on the reed blocks. huge difference.
Yes, those are the ones I utilized also...Chris is a great guy to deal with!
Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #19
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Yes, those are the ones I utilized also...Chris is a great guy to deal with!
I agree 100%
Old 01-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #20
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicoPop View Post
That 3 cylinder OMC 2 stroke is a great motor!!! So is the 3 cylinder 2 stroke Yamaha. I think you would be happy with the performance of either. I went with the 4 cylinder on my boatrigh and regretted it from the start... too heavy and on an alumnium flat bottom hull you are not going to make a giant difference in top end between the two.
I took the 88 4 cyl OMC off my shoalwater when I bought it and put a 90hp yammy on and immediately shaved 70lb off. best mod ever.