Jet outboards - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
Anderson Guide Service
Registered Users-pm+

Anderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to Pirate
Jet outboards

I have never ran a jet outboard. Question for those of you that have them, how much water to you need to get on plane. I am referring to a properly set up boat, not like what Simmons tried to do a while back with the merc jet.
Anderson Guide Service is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
What size boat are you considering? The inboard jets do much better for power to weight. Thats why Simmons went that route.

But they hate heavy weight and rough water.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

gotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirate
My 1648 gets up on plan as long as its floating. I am running a 40hp yamaha jet. I built pods for my boat and built a 3" tunnel.

This was last saturday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJkcRraF5Yu/
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
Anderson Guide Service
Registered Users-pm+

Anderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to Pirate
If I did anything it would be a wide aluminum hull 18-20 feet with a jet tunnel.
Anderson Guide Service is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

gotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Guide Service View Post
If I did anything it would be a wide aluminum hull 18-20 feet with a jet tunnel.
Are you planning on using it to guide out of? Seark makes a boat I think could be good for guiding: https://www.seaarkboats.com/boat/28/2272-mvjt

Last edited by gotmuddy; 01-06-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to PirateJerry713 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
My 1648 gets up on plan as long as its floating. I am running a 40hp yamaha jet. I built pods for my boat and built a 3" tunnel.

This was last saturday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJkcRraF5Yu/
That's skinny!
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Anderson Guide Service
Registered Users-pm+

If I do use it to guide out of it would be two people max. Those bigger boats don't give much of a weight penalty for their size so they should float in less but if you are lightly on ground then the friction/weight will make a difference one would think....

I am used to boats like the RFL. With a trp if the boat is floating I can get it up (sometimes not too pretty). I can run in whatever depth the hull draws on plane (never stopped to check). I am not really sure a jet will give much more performance?
Old 01-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
If you cant get it done in a properly setup specifically for shallow water operation RFL you cant get it done in a jet either.

A properly set up RFL specifically to run shallow will be less of a liability than a similarly setup jet boat.

The only advantage comes in those lil 14 ft high powered 1 - 2 man jet scooters that will jump over land. Or in river rock. But in scattered shell where we need to be an oyster shell will set you down immediately.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
If you cant get it done in a properly setup specifically for shallow water operation RFL you cant get it done in a jet either.

A properly set up RFL specifically to run shallow will be less of a liability than a similarly setup jet boat.

The only advantage comes in those lil 14 ft high powered 1 - 2 man jet scooters that will jump over land. Or in river rock. But in scattered shell where we need to be an oyster shell will set you down immediately.
I would like to take you for a ride next gathering

Saturday I was running anything that had water covering it. Mud, sand, oysters. As long as the oysters have water covering them the boat would keep going, I was extremely impressed.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson Guide Service View Post
If I do use it to guide out of it would be two people max. Those bigger boats don't give much of a weight penalty for their size so they should float in less but if you are lightly on ground then the friction/weight will make a difference one would think....

I am used to boats like the RFL. With a trp if the boat is floating I can get it up (sometimes not too pretty). I can run in whatever depth the hull draws on plane (never stopped to check). I am not really sure a jet will give much more performance?
You may not need a jet depending on what the boat drafts while on plane. a 1872 with a jet tunnel will probably reliably run across a flat thats 2" deep.