Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
Rivierarat
Registered Users-pm+

Rivierarat is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Saltwater Hull Scum

I’m looking for a safe solution to remove saltwater scum from the outside of my hull? Any recommendations?
Rivierarat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Corey D.
twitch, twitch ........bam!!!! FISH ON

Corey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to PirateCorey D. has been promoted to Pirate
dollar store

the works toilet bowl cleaner from the dollar store, must wax afterwards or it will come right back
Corey D. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
pick44
Registered Users-pm+

pick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Pirate
ditto on the works
pick44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to Pirate
Another vote for The Works.
BFI-TX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
pick44
Registered Users-pm+

pick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Pirate
I have been using "The works" for years to get off scum. BUT... was in Rockport and used it on toilet bowl and it left blue stains in it. Took a lot of scrubbing and use of pumic stone to remove.
Then washed my boat and used The works on my white boat. Now I have blue stain all over it. They must have changed the formula or I got a bad batch. See photos.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the heads up, pick44! Scratch that off the shopping list.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
bassguitarman
Still trying to figure it all out

bassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Piratebassguitarman has been promoted to Pirate
I found this in a quick search:

"The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner formula has recently changed from a 20% active ingredient to a 9.5%. Unfortunaetly; the 20% formula has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase. The change was brought forth by a recent government regulation made by the EPA. Due to this regulation The Works has decided to scale back the formula"

The active ingredient in The Works is hydrochloric acid. I don't know, but maybe they reduced the HCl and replaced it with more dye.
bassguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
I use Iron Out. It's a powder which I mix with water in a spray bottle. Just be careful when mixing as it's very toxic but it works about the same as The Works. Spray on and the stain clears almost immediately. Rinse very well, including the trailer. As mentioned above you must wax after use or the stains will be back quick.
Iron Out can be purchased at Home Depot/Lowes very cheap.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
pick44
Registered Users-pm+

Just talked to the manufacture rep. She said to "STOP USING IT ON TOILET BOWLS AND BOATS". She said they had to outsource the dye and antibacteria chemicals due to shortages. They are just now becoming aware of the problems of staining. I am sure they will have a recall or ???
For toilet bowls stains, she said to use CLR, or White Vinegar or White Comet Powder

She does not know if those products should be used on fiberglass boats. So, I ask her to get their chemical people to post something on the web ASAP about how to clean boat hulls with the dye issue.

I think they are in for some legal action. However, she said " The bottle clearly states...for toile bowl use only".
Old 01-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
KevinA
Registered Users-pm+

KevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to PirateKevinA has been promoted to Pirate
hull cleaner

buy a product intended to clean boat hulls from Academy or West Marine.
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message