1999 Mercury 115 acting up - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
1999 Mercury 115 acting up

Several months ago I got caught at the boat ramp in a rain storm I thought would pass but didn't. Loaded boat back up and went back home. Since it was raining, I didn't turn the battery power switch off and the next morning I came out to find the motor trimmed itself up. This ultimately burned up the trim motor...cracked magnet, probably from heat...so I replaced it. Took it out a couple times and noticed the digital hour meter would flash 0000.0 occasionally while the tachometer would jump an additional 1,500-2,000 rpms in conjunction, then go back to normal.

This progressively got worse until I got a no start situation while trying to get it ready to hit the water. I was able to move the wiring harness around under the dash and it would crank. Took it fishing and getting ready to make the run back to the ramp it died, so I did the same with the harness and got it running to make it back to the ramp. I did notice on this trip it had a slight skip or miss occasionally.

So I get it back home and now it has no power to any items on the dash and the motor won't crank at all even if I move the harness around. I can jump the starter solenoid to get it to turn over but it's not turning over as fast as it typically does and won't fire up.

It does have a kill switch under the dash that I messed with, and thinking the first thing I need to do is bypass this and see what happens...just don't know which wires to connect together to accomplish this. I've also thought about the key switch and possibly neutral safety switch, but leaning more towards the key switch. I am puzzled that jumping the starter solenoid wouldn't get it fired up and running.
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to Pirate
You can disconnect the wiring harness under the cowling to eliminate the key and emergency kill switch, then jump jump the solenoid and see if it starts.
BFI-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to Pirate
Wonder if some of the wiring in the harness got hot when the tilt trim switch got wet and fried the motor?
BFI-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI-TX View Post
You can disconnect the wiring harness under the cowling to eliminate the key and emergency kill switch, then jump jump the solenoid and see if it starts.
Will be trying this first thing next week and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI-TX View Post
Wonder if some of the wiring in the harness got hot when the tilt trim switch got wet and fried the motor?
Good thought, I did see a wire that was loose right at one of the connections, but the other side had no wire.
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message