Ulterra vs Terrova - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
smith04
Registered Users-pm+

smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04 smith04
Ulterra vs Terrova

I have ordered a new boat (Outlaw 230X). Johnny at JH Performance Boats recommends the Terrova trolling motor so that is my default.

However, I fish alone a good portion of the time and the self deployment capability of the Ulterra seems like it will help with launch and retrieve of my boat.

I am concerned by what I hear that the Ulterra has more problems. Johnathan at Gulf Coast Trolling Motors said they did originally, but they have fixed the design.

Do you have experience with the Ulterra and can offer feedback?
smith04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I love my Ulterra and have had good luck with. I have it serviced and fixed up annually by choice. I have many many many days and hours of experience and trust using it.

I would never ever ever ever never ever dream of launching or retrieving unmanned and relying on any trolling motor. Not ever. Unless you are prepared to take a swim and not blame the trolling motor.

It is awesome. I use it many times a week as a full time guide. But that is not at all what it is to be used for.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Mbond
Registered Users-pm+

Mbond is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have one on my Illusion and love it. I have had zero issues in 2 years. I think it is important to have a ram mount to stabilize it when trailering the boat or running in rough water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mbond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
brickbat
Registered Users-pm+

brickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunnerbrickbat has been promote to Gunner
Smith,

I have two Ulterra's and both have been in the shop. I have an older 24 volt 80# Ulterra that was repaired twice under warranty and once out of warranty. The newer model, about 3 years old now, was repaired once under warranty. My son has the 36 volt 112# thrust and has had no issues. I can tell you they are sensitive to low battery charge and to rough abuse.

I have a tower boat and I will always, or at least hope to have an Ulterra, just so I don't climb down to deploy the trolling motor then back up the tower to fish. I fish by myself regularly and I will tell you that I fish more areas from the boat, when before I would not stop because I was too lazy to climb down.

I do not believe that they are as reliable as the Terrova.

brickbat
brickbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Jkmoore03
Registered Users-pm+

Jkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve got the Terrova. There’s a lot of bad reviews about the auto deploy not working/going out on the Ulterra, and two people that I know had continuous problems with theirs. Plus the Terrova is about a grand cheaper and very easy to deploy and retrieve. I just don’t see the added benefit for the worry and the extra money over the Terrova.

As Grem stated, I would never ever buy one with the main intention of using it for launching and retrieving your boat. That’s a pretty big chance if/when something goes out. Just use a longer dock line and it’s no problem launching a boat solo.

I will admit that I have used the Terrova to bring the boat to me while wading. I deploy the TM when I get to my spot and point it straight off the bow so I know where it’s facing and anchor the boat with my PP’s. When I’m done wading I use my remote to lift the PP’s and with the TM remote I turn it in the direction needed and kick it in gear. I’m only brave enough to do this on calm days and not in big open water where I’m not worried about a failure and the boat being blown to the other side of the bay.
Jkmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
Coastaldiy
Registered Users-pm+

Coastaldiy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have an Ulterra on my Shallow Sport. I’m glad that I have it. It has been great. I use it about 6 days a month. You just need to maintain it like all the other equipment on your boat. I regularly put lubricant on both the shaft of the motor and the screw drive that deploys and retrieves the motor. I would make sure that you install a quick disconnect mount for any trolling motor you decide to install. Other advice, trim the motor up at the end of the day before deploying again in case you deploy it the next time in shallow water. Although, you do have the option of pausing the motor when deploying it. Last .02, the Ulterra is great at doing one thing at a time. Let it finish any operation before trying to do something different, i.e. don’t try to do anything different while deploying or storing it.
Coastaldiy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Totally Tuna
Registered Users-pm+

Totally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to Pirate
I launch the boat by myself when alone and when taking people who are less experienced. You will get in a rhythm and take less time at the ramp than about 1/2 of the people who have a gaggle of folks with them helping.
Totally Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
yellowskeeter

yellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirate
Don’t get an ulterra, and if you do just come back to this comment unless you are in the lucky 2 percent that don’t have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yellowskeeter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
I haver the Ulterra and love it. Yes its been to the shop but I abused the hell out of it for a good while before I broke it. I strap it down now and its been good. My remote did recently **** out though
For fishing solo its a must (in my book).
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #10
Halffast61
Registered Users-pm+

Halffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to PirateHalffast61 has been promoted to Pirate
I have an Ulterra that's 3 and 1/2 years old and I have had a few issues, but nothing I haven't been able to fix myself. I fish by myself a lot and I wouldn't dream of not having the Ulterra. The best part to me is using the motor on spotlock or on a track to keep me from getting too shallow while I start the big motor and stow the Ulterra as I put the outboard in gear and take off. Plus with my bad shoulders I really appreciate not having to lift a trolling motor over and over.

My son and my BIL both have Ulterras on their boats, both about 2 years old, and neither one of them has had any problems.

Hope this helps.
Halffast61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message