Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
jcaceem
Registered Users-pm+

jcaceem is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Help with motor please!

I have a 90 hp 1999 Mercury Force that has been basically trouble free for the last 8 years (since I bought my boat). A few weekends ago it would not start--no spark.

Doing some research it seemed like it was either the switchbox or the stator. I ordered both. Replaced the switchbox but not the stator and it fired right up.

Went out today and by the end of the day it would not start. Same problem. It has new spark plugs but there is not power to the plugs.

When checked, there is power to the switchbox. Could it be the switchbox again? This one did not come with a ground wire so not sure if it went out or I bought a dud. It is from CDI electronics.

I don't live at the coast but took this entire week off to fish with my family and after day 1 we have no working motor. Would really like to have an answer so we can salvage the week and fish if anyone has any ideas to help get us back on the water before Friday.

Thank you!
jcaceem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
rglide09
Registered Users-pm+

rglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Pirate
Replace the stator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rglide09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
jcaceem
Registered Users-pm+

I should also mention that the original voltage regulator has 4 wires (grey, red, and 2 yellow) with one black ground wire.

All the replacements, including the one I bought, have two red wires, a grey wire, two yellow, and no ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
Check your emergency kill switch if you have an intermittent spark issue, as well as the other items you mentioned
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
jcaceem
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Redwing View Post
Check your emergency kill switch if you have an intermittent spark issue, as well as the other items you mentioned
The kill switch has never been tripped/toggled since I've owned the boat. Would there be any reason it would act up?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
Yes, it could have internal issues that can prevent the ignition system from functioning Thatis it’s purpose! In case you get ejected from the boat. It stops the xspark and kills the motor. Thus the common name
“ Kill Switch.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

You might flip that switch ooff an on about 20 times, then see if that changes your no start situation. It may have internal corrosion causing you problems. That switch has to work, by the way. New law last september
Old 12-04-2020, 02:26 AM   #8
HoustonTexas
Registered Users-pm+

HoustonTexas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
in order - kill switch neutral switch -- ignition switch
HoustonTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

if your engine will spin over when you crank the key, its not the neutral switch
Old 12-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
Check the starter solenoid, I had a similar issue last year and that solenoid was going out which caused intermittent starting issues.
Rockfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message