Reef Recon for Garmin (and Lowrance / Simrand) - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
troutsupport
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Reef Recon for Garmin (and Lowrance / Simrand)

Well, it's been exactly a year since I realized that I had to do a completely different Reef Recon file for the Garmin Units. I don't have an updated video for Reef Recon but let me quickly tell you what is different about the file. This information is not on the website due to time constrictions and I'm traveling tomorrow. But the jest of it is that

Reef Recon is NOW Available for Garmin Chartplotters, Lowrance, and Simrad
Get it Here

A year ago when I put the original Reef Recon file into a Garmin unit it looked like this... Ooooppppppsss!!!! DagNabbit... Well, that's not really what I said.

For a couple months I did everything I could try to fix the code, ... nada. But there was one option left.. work with the machine. So I organized the connection lines and now the Garmin Map looks like this...

About a month ago I made a "soft" release and found I needed to fix a color glitch and make a couple changes for legacy units. So if you've already purchased the Garmin File, log back in and get this recent update. If you have not purchased the Garmin Reef Recon, it is now available. If any other glitches come up we'll just have to fix them as well. But it's good as I can make it for now.

The Reef Connection Lines. In deep open water you can litterally just follow the connection lines to the Next Reef. So I'm calling this Version Reef Recon with Next Reef. in shallow water most of the connection lines are on the dry land portion of your base map and shouldn't interfere.

On the original release for Lowrance and Simrad some asked what the layer meant and if there was a legend. So here is a brief synopsis of that. You'll get the idea anyway.
Layers are in ‘trails’
  • Shallow DNGR Danger - Brightest Red. These can be good for redfish late summer through fall.
  • Caution (Drk Red) These are reefs that might come into range of the lower unit on low tide.. particularly on winter low tides. On normal tides I wouldn't run right over them either. Good for trout spring and fall. Some in winter on moderate weather.
  • Deep (Purple) - These are the best substrate and best live shell areas left. The drought of 7 years killed a lot of reefs and some will never come back. These areas in the purple or 'Deep' have already started coming back or have good shell or the right conditions for regrowth or both.
  • Degraded or Dead.. these are reefs that were killed and decimated by the drought. Some will never come back / Some will. However, even though they are free of oyster shell and no live oyster, most of them do form humps or offer some relief off the bay floor so occasionally there will be some fish on them. I'd focus on the other reef types like Deep Best and Caution for fishing first though.. those have better oyster. If you see a trout slick coming from a dead reef fish it like we show in the Limits DVD
  • Edges (Blue).. these are edges of channels in select areas like Jones, Tiki, and Moses.
  • Scatr - Scatted oyster on mud bottom. These areas are not reef but have a mud bottom and scattered oyster shells.. they are good for trout when the trout are in those areas.

Abbreviations. 
  • Scatr - Scattered oyster shells on mud.
  • DNGR - Danger
  • DGNR - Danger with a typo (oops)
  • Dbris or DBRS - Debris in the water like parts of an old sunken boat or pipe under the water. Many times these will not be a navigation hazzard except at low tides but I would not run over them. 
  • SHLLW or Shallow - Shallow Areas 
  • Waypoints with 'L' such as 'L-308, L-409' These are names oyster leases. 
  • T-38, T-39 - Trinity Bay Well Pad Reefs
  • GB-38, GB-39  Galveston Bay Well Pad Reefs
  • RCK - Rock
  • RF - Reef 
  • REST, REST RF - Restoration Reef 
  • GBEP RFS - Galveston Bay Estuary Program Reef/s
  • TPWD - Texas Parks and Wildlife Reef Reef
  • CCA - Coastal Conservation Association Reef

No matter the reefs above, fish aren’t tied down anywhere, but Reef Recon let's you focus on the best structure there is and they'll show up there more often. Later this month we'll be ready for the best deep oyster trout fishing all year between late May and August; will you be ready.

Reef Recon is Now Available!!! for Garmin Chartplotter, Lowarance, and Simrad.

PS.. We're working on the Hummingbird and RayMarine brands next. Eating a digital Elephant is apparently a slow process; one byte at a time ;-)

For those needing the update, if you can't log back into the Reef Recon site where you purchased it (for update only) here then I'll help you on Monday when I return and we'll get everyone the updated file.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
acf83
Registered Users-pm+

acf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateeracf83 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Wow. I wish this was available for the area's I hang out in(Aransas Pass). Seems like a very good source.
acf83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks acf... AP, Corpus, Rockport is the next phase... but we still have some work for the Hummingbird and RayMarine Units. After those are going then we'll see if we can get down to Rockport and start scanning.. it took 9 months to scan and about 12 months computer time.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
Boat 2
Boat 2

Boat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to PirateBoat 2 has been promoted to Pirate
Tobin I just purchased the reef con for my Garmin 3 1/2 weeks ago and installed it. Do I need to purchase an update already.
Boat 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
troutsupport

No Boat2, your update is file is covered. It was a little glitch I hadn't caught before. I'll make sure all you guys that have already purchased it get the update.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
brian02
Registered Users-pm+

brian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Pirate
Any plans to do this for east marry?
brian02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
troutsupport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian02 View Post
Any plans to do this for east marry?
I love auto correct and especially talk to text with auto correct. LOL... even worse with my trucks blue tooth speaker.

Yes, but it will be later. I'm doing Corpus/Rockport Next after figuring out some technology requirements.

Ok Someone asked what is the difference between the Lowrance and the Garmin models.. are they the same. The Data (the reefs) is exactly the same. The Lowrance version was able to be coded so that there are no connecting lines between the reefs. The Garmin on the other hand required connecting lines between each reef otherwise it looked like the map above with all the random lines all over the place. The Garmin Firmware causes that, it's just different tecnology. We were able to code it to where there were organized connecting lines on the Garmin and you can use the connecting lines with the deep reefs to follow the connecting line to the next reef. Where as on the Lowrance you'd have to zoom out and set a course for the next one... there are pro's and con's of each one, but the reef data is the same.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
troutsupport

at least that is the plan.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
troutsupport

Ya'll should start seeing slicks showing up on the deep reefs. There's still a lot of fish on the shorelines but it won't be long.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
chief mike
Registered Users-pm+

chief mike is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
When will you come out with Reef Recon for Copano and Aransas Bay?
chief mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message