New Bow Sight - Should I wait to install? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Soapeddler
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"

Soapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to PirateSoapeddler has been promoted to Pirate
Question New Bow Sight - Should I wait to install?

I bought a new sight for my bow yesterday - after having seen one last weekend that had the little built in-screw in fiber optic flashlight that illuminates the pins (my old one does not). Low light in a popup blind does not allow enough light to brighten up my old pins. I'm thinking I need every advantage I can get, given the eyesight issues I have mentioned on this board before.

Question is this (glad I thought of it AFTER I bought the thing )... do I really want to change my sight now? It's been basically 2 months since I bought this bow used off craigslist. In that time period I've broken 2 nocs, had 1 Robin Hood, and harvested my first deer with my bow. I'm pretty much dialed in up to 20 yards. The old sight has 3 pins, the new one has 5. Since archery is so much about training, instinct, muscle memory, and reflex action... and having your bow tuned to you... should I wait till after the season to change out the sight?

Also, the wrist strap that came with the bow is too short, but I've gotten used to it - so while looking around at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, I got a new one. Will that throw me off if I go ahead and change that now?

Thanks for your advice. I've gotten a lot of great stuff here.
Soapeddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
RussellG
Registered Users-pm+

RussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieRussellG has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
If you've practiced enough, you should be fine...key is your anchor point, and hopefully that will not change. As long as you're sighted in and confident with it, the new sight should only improve your accuracy since it is improving your vision or view. I'd change it before Muy steps out in lower light conditions that your old sight does not allow for. Every advantage helps. Best of luck.

rg
RussellG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
I would go ahead and change it as well.. just make certain that when you get ready to do the switch you have plenty of time.. no need to rush or shoot to many arrows at one time trying to sight in.. three shot groups just like a rifle..G-Luck Mr. Hood...Walker
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
chickenkiller
Registered Users-pm+

chickenkiller has disabled reputation
I agree with RR. Make sure you have plenty of time between hunts to sight in. So you don't shoot you're self out. Because you will be all over the place by that time anyway..
chickenkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
reelthreat
Do you know who I think I am???

reelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Pirate
I would change it also... it does not take long to sight it back in. To save yourself a ton of left/right adjustment, noc an arrow, look down it to align the string right down the center, and then line up your pins on the string. This will get you pretty darn close left/right. It will only take fine tuning then. be careful on the up/down, it can be off by many feet.
reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Main Frame 8
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.

Main Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to PirateMain Frame 8 has been promoted to Pirate
You know what's going to happen if you don't put it on.

Main Frame 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Bucksnort
100% BS

Bucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to Pirate
take it back and leave the old one on. confidence in equipment is a big factor. I have a small light I got at gander that is made archery. It velcro's to the riser. works great for those low light situations.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message