2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Galv West end surf 7/13, 10 fish stringer

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jrabq 
#1 ·
OK, I cheated a bit, 7 specs and 3 sand trout.

Clarity was great, but it was a bit sporty with a few occasional large swells. At first my SS Jr was getting no love, switched to a larger yellow skitterpop and caught 3 trout, then it got slow again. Tried a few other lures and a Shadow Rap started working, caught 2 trout and 3 sandies, one almost 15". Lost several fish, you'd think with 3 treble hooks on a suspending lure it wouldn't happen much.

After that it got slow again, I tried another SS Jr in more natural color and grinded out 2 more trout between 9:00-10:00. Stuck it out for another hour then called it a day, my best surf outing in a very long time. Nothing huge but some nice trout in 16-18" range. Also had 4 or 5 throwbacks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback on this and other posts I made in July.

It's been two weeks since this report and this was the last good day of fishing on my vacation, which was almost over anyway.

I did get back in the surf in front of the beach house that afternoon (7/13) about 2:00, and it was "ON". I was hoping I would get 3 more keeper trout to get me to 10 fish for the day, which would have been my last 10 fish limit in probably forever (since I won't get back to TX before the limit drops in September). But for some reason I couldn't keep them on the hook, I landed 2 keeper specs, about 6 dinks, and one sand trout, ….and lost 7 or 8 fish. Also caught a handful of small bluefish. This was all on top-water, and the action died after about 45 minutes (I even caught the sand trout on a SS Jr). So I finished the day with 9 specs and 4 sand trout.

But it was a great vacation for me, with 4 days of mostly favorable conditions out of 7, I kept 22 speckled trout and threw back 60+ undersized, virtually all on top-water, my best trip in a very long time. Also got two nice trout at 25" & 26.5", so maybe that makes this my best trip in my 20 years of fishing Galveston (typically only 1 week a year).

With this fishing trip fading in the rear view mirror and hunting season just 3 weeks away (archery deer Utah) I will be looking at 2Cool less and less each day. Hopefully this site will still be here when I start looking again next Summer, until then,

Tight lines and stay safe!

JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.