Older heavy mako 284 question for prop experts - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
unc_jaws23
Registered Users-pm+

unc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirateunc_jaws23 has been promoted to Pirate
Older heavy mako 284 question for prop experts

Getting ready to repower, currently twin 250 ox-66 counter rotating. Been fight problems on one moter, with that motor tilted I can’t get on plane. Going to takeof problem motor and test run on single 250 without the 550# hanging of the transom. Should I change props for test? If so what direction? I think they are mirage 17 rs. If I can run reasonable than I’m going to buff tc a Suzuki 350 or Yamaha 425. Only time I’ve had a duel failure was from bad gas. They seem to ru no matter what as long as you have lots of fuel
unc_jaws23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Careful, seen many a power head burnt from loosing a motor and running to the dock on the good one. Yes, you should pitch the prop down when running one as it doesn't lug the motor and will keep you from burning a power head. When running twins, always carry a spare set of props that are properly pitched to run on one motor...yes it's a pain to change it off shore but better that than burning another power head to leave you dead in the water. I would run twins on an offshore boat, and running a single is not even in the realm of things. You might look over on the Classic Mako Forum website to get more information on that hull and/or motor combo...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
You could drop to a 15 or 13 pitch for the ox-66.

Not sure what you are trying to prove? Repowering with bigger twins in case of an offshore failure - so you can get back on plane, or just one big single (with / without a kicker)?
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Capt_Gilligan
Trust me, I'm a professional.

Capt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
It’s less weight to repower with twin f200s or 225 4stroke Mercs than a single 425.
Capt_Gilligan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+

Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
Mako 284cc report I saw with twin 300 Merc v-8(4.6L)...

cruise 30mph at 3500rpm......15X19P Mirage

top 54mph

at 8000lbs

I am going twin 300 (3.4L Etec) on our 28' Grady-White(7000-8500lb) when I re-power up from twin 200's....which have performed very well over the years with 15 x 17p wheels...one motor will plane it under ideal conditions(WOT) ,ie ICW no wind....otherwise not .....prop change to 15 x 15P is needed (L or R hand) ...still require WOT

a single 300 should plane it on a re-turn from offshore weight, wind and wave from the stern with a 15 x 17P....probably not with a 15 x 19P...surely not with a 15 x 21P......

No way I would go single 350 or 400 on that Mako
Momma's Worry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Agree Boat is too heavy for one motor...425 is crazy expensive. Also a lot of torque delivered to a small area on transom. I had a 261 with twin 225s. Most of the 285s from 80s had same motors. The 284 I think is the old 261 with the transom platform. I would find a good used 4 stroke pair of 250s if I could. A 350 will not be adequate IMO. A 425 will be a waste of money if you try to sell it. Everyone wants twins on boats that big and up if they fish a long way offshore. I sold my 261 to a guy that tried to run from a huge storm over 60 miles out at night in the 90s..., blew one motor and then swamped and sunk it when he could no longer run faster than storm. Engine failures seem to occur at the worst times Just my opinion. That boat would not come close to planning with one 225 fully loaded and probably would have stressed a 250. And you cant get in the water in a storm and change a prop. Second motor allows you to keep safe headway into seas. He sunk because he had a bilge pump failure and aft hatch was allowing water into bilge. That storm was a monster and killed 3 guys from Port Arthur...never found their boat.
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message