Yamaha 2 stroke 115 intermittent trim down issue - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
Yamaha 2 stroke 115 intermittent trim down issue

We had some intermittent trouble with the 115 Yamaha not wanting to tilt/trim down (1999 S115TLRX) Engine has been very well maintained and has 530 hours.

Had to do the manual override to drop it right at sundown in gator infested marshland on Saturday

I have an aftermarket service manual and it says there are two relays that are on the port side, I found them, they are round, online parts diagrams show them. We had the cowling off and when you hit the trim button you hear the relays click

But there also two relays on the port side on the outside of the water jacket that look like regular 1" square relays that I can not find on any parts diagram for the engine.

We did have an issue with the thermostat covers that had cracked and spark plugs on both side were rusted so I know they had to get wet, At first I figured surely they had got corroded connections and sprayed contact cleaner and worked them in and out a few times

I replaced the thermostats, covers and gaskets and it is running great

When it doesn't want to go down I dont hear anything from the console, so, it's not like the trim/tilt pump engages and just isn't working leading me to think it is a relay issue, the challenge is which one is it?

If I had hauled the boat back I would just get out the multimeter and follow the test procedures. I am also not adverse to just proactively replacing them the next time I go down.

Thanks in advance
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
cclayton01
Registered Users-pm+

cclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Pirate
Had a 2003 same motor and model, it had random tilt issues and I found the battery connections were the culprit. Either slightly loose or little corrosion build up starting to form.
cclayton01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
hmm
well, I did do some minor electrical work recently. last week
in the center console there are 2 12x batteries and a battery switch. off, one, 2, both

I wired an LED wiring harness with relay straight to one of the batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Ronnie Redwing
Registered Users-pm+

Ronnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to PirateRonnie Redwing has been promoted to Pirate
the relays on the head area look to be for a jackplate. The fact that the trin relays click tells me the switch cicuit is getting power and sending voltage back to the trim solenoids. Make sure it is 11 to 12 volts. You can bypass the solenoids to see if the trim motor is bad.
Ronnie Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

thank you sir
yes, there is a jackplate and that would make sense why they don't show up in the diagrams from Yamaha!

well, to be clear, I don't believe the relay at the motor clicks when you hit the down button and nothing happens, I believe it is only when you hit the up or the down works.

We did a quick test the other day and went off fishing..

Would much rather replace a relay than the trim motor, that looks like a PITA and something I would take to a shop to do.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Sugars Pop
Registered Users-pm+

Sugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to Pirate
So it doesn't work using the switch on the shift lever? How about the one on the engine cover?
Had to replace my shift lever switch on a 2004 Yamaha 90 recently. The engine cover switch worked.
Sugars Pop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

didn't think to use the engine mounted switch, never even used it
Old 05-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
I just fixed a problem with my trim/tilt. It worked fine at the motor but had problems at the shift lever. I found a bad connection below the console where wires come from the engine to the shift lever. They used those blue flip-over type connectors which were very corroded. I replaced all three blue connectors with heat shrink type butt connectors. Works great. I would check all your connectors.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

yep, that is definitely the plan next time down, trace every contact in the tilt/trim circuitry

would have been nice if it did this when I had the boat at the house for a few weeks!