Chronarch 50MG issues - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Reel repair, maintenance, and upgrade forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
Dipsay
Registered Users-pm+
 
Dipsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 28 2006
Age: 53
Posts: 2,686
Rep Power: 21482702
Dipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to PirateDipsay has been promoted to Pirate
My Money is on braid slip. Seen it more times than I care to say. "Hey my drag isn't working, what did you do to it? You put backer or tape?"
Dipsay is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
CROSBYMAN
Registered Users-pm+
 
CROSBYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01 2010
Location: baytown tx
Age: 32
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 800739
CROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the help everyone, Its not the braid slipping. I have had the reel sitting on my dresser for a while once it was acting up and I started messing with it this weekend and still not acting right and has a clunk to it now also when reeling it in. Pretty sure I need it serviced and Shimano does not service this model anymore so will use someone off of here to fix it for me. Excellent point about the drag not being backed off, I never used to do that but just recently started backing the drag off once done with the reel. I never was told that until about a year ago. I always just lightly from a far away distance spray mine with water house and wipe down with rag and thats it.

Anyone else have a better practice on what to do after a morning wade?
CROSBYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+
 
Drundel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 06 2006
Location: Friendswood, TX
Age: 42
Posts: 5,204
Rep Power: 21485300
Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROSBYMAN View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, Its not the braid slipping. I have had the reel sitting on my dresser for a while once it was acting up and I started messing with it this weekend and still not acting right and has a clunk to it now also when reeling it in. Pretty sure I need it serviced and Shimano does not service this model anymore so will use someone off of here to fix it for me. Excellent point about the drag not being backed off, I never used to do that but just recently started backing the drag off once done with the reel. I never was told that until about a year ago. I always just lightly from a far away distance spray mine with water house and wipe down with rag and thats it.

Anyone else have a better practice on what to do after a morning wade?
Hopefully the gears have all their teeth.

As far as after wade.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...highlight=salt
Drundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
Mike in Friendswood
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
 
Mike in Friendswood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 21 2004
Age: 57
Posts: 1,625
Rep Power: 3167602
Mike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to Pirate
Yikes. As Drundel pointed out, a clunk may mean some of the teeth on the aluminum main gear have been lost due to oxidation. Sadly, the.pinio/main gear for.that reel are hard to come by.
Mike in Friendswood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
FloridaFishinFool
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Apr 08 2019
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 215312
FloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROSBYMAN View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, Its not the braid slipping. I have had the reel sitting on my dresser for a while once it was acting up and I started messing with it this weekend and still not acting right and has a clunk to it now also when reeling it in. Pretty sure I need it serviced and Shimano does not service this model anymore so will use someone off of here to fix it for me. Excellent point about the drag not being backed off, I never used to do that but just recently started backing the drag off once done with the reel. I never was told that until about a year ago. I always just lightly from a far away distance spray mine with water house and wipe down with rag and thats it.

Anyone else have a better practice on what to do after a morning wade?
Shimano does still service these reels! I work for a Shimano warranty repair facility and we service old reels every day of the week we are open. The only problem is in getting parts for them. If a service shop can rebuild it without parts then you are good to go. However, our shop has an inventory of over 500,000 parts and piles of old reels we use for parts.

So check with your closest shimano warranty facility in your area who should be able to take care of this for you. Average cost is $30 plus parts if any for a complete tear down, cleaning, and rebuild.

Now as to cleaning after use, Shimano does NOT recommend spraying reels with water ever!

The water pressure can actually push salts deeper into the reels and cause more problems. Shimano recommends using something like Pledge cleaner, not wax, pledge cleaner on a rag and wipe reels down after use.

Spraying water is one of the worst things you can do to a reel. Spray it and push water and salts into deeper into reels, then wipe off exterior does not remove what was just pushed inside that will cause corrosion and rust.

Here is a perfect example of this problem... the following image is of a Curado 200i I just repaired under warranty when technically it should not have been a warranty repair but Shimano is very generous in this area...

The reel came in with complaint the thumb bar was stuck and would not budge. So what did the owner do? He squirted oil into the thumb bar and made a mess inside the reel I had to clean up.

The problem with this reel was the pinion gear was frozen in place in the pinion bearing and would not move in and out of the bearing due to salt water corrosion. You can see the green corrosion on the pinion gear where the yoke goes.

You can see a clean band around the pinion collar with corrosion above it and below it that completely froze up the entire reel mechanism. This person used the reel, spray cleaned it, wiped it down, and then let it sit. Next time he grabbed the reel it was frozen up and did not work.

This is a classic case of water being pushed inside of a reel along with the salts...




Let me show you the drag washers out of a Shimano stradic that came into the shop recently for repairs... notice how the drag washers have a raised edge to them? It is easy to see the person who owned this reel cranked down the drag and left it that way and this is the results:



No matter what the reel, baitcast, closed face, underspin, fly, spinning, whatever... always back off the drag so there is no pressure on the drag washers.

If you want them to be there ready to use the next time you go fishing, don't permanently compress them as shown here. Always back off the drag on every reel or pay the price eventually!

Last edited by FloridaFishinFool; 04-22-2019 at 02:46 PM.
FloridaFishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
CROSBYMAN
Registered Users-pm+
 
CROSBYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 01 2010
Location: baytown tx
Age: 32
Posts: 158
Rep Power: 800739
CROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to PirateCROSBYMAN has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the detailed pictures and info! I called a 1800 number online for shimano and waited on the phone for a long time for the guy to tell me sorry he does not see chronarch 50mg on his list anymore so they dont service them anymore . Thought it was weird because they repaired the same reel for my uncle not long ago and it was cheap and just made him pay for the shipping. How can I find my nearest dealer or who would I call?
CROSBYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
FloridaFishinFool
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Apr 08 2019
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 215312
FloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
You can look up the nearest service center on this website:

https://map.shimano.com/dealers/map/na-cycle/#/

My boss said SouthWestern in Dallas, Texas may be your closest service center.

https://www.southwesternparts.com/
FloridaFishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #18
c hook
Registered Users-pm+
 
c hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 06 2016
Location: Friendswood Tx
Posts: 3,130
Rep Power: 21479424
c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFishinFool View Post
Shimano does still service these reels! I work for a Shimano warranty repair facility and we service old reels every day of the week we are open. The only problem is in getting parts for them. If a service shop can rebuild it without parts then you are good to go. However, our shop has an inventory of over 500,000 parts and piles of old reels we use for parts.

So check with your closest shimano warranty facility in your area who should be able to take care of this for you. Average cost is $30 plus parts if any for a complete tear down, cleaning, and rebuild.

Now as to cleaning after use, Shimano does NOT recommend spraying reels with water ever!

The water pressure can actually push salts deeper into the reels and cause more problems. Shimano recommends using something like Pledge cleaner, not wax, pledge cleaner on a rag and wipe reels down after use.

Spraying water is one of the worst things you can do to a reel. Spray it and push water and salts into deeper into reels, then wipe off exterior does not remove what was just pushed inside that will cause corrosion and rust.

Here is a perfect example of this problem... the following image is of a Curado 200i I just repaired under warranty when technically it should not have been a warranty repair but Shimano is very generous in this area...

The reel came in with complaint the thumb bar was stuck and would not budge. So what did the owner do? He squirted oil into the thumb bar and made a mess inside the reel I had to clean up.

The problem with this reel was the pinion gear was frozen in place in the pinion bearing and would not move in and out of the bearing due to salt water corrosion. You can see the green corrosion on the pinion gear where the yoke goes.

You can see a clean band around the pinion collar with corrosion above it and below it that completely froze up the entire reel mechanism. This person used the reel, spray cleaned it, wiped it down, and then let it sit. Next time he grabbed the reel it was frozen up and did not work.

This is a classic case of water being pushed inside of a reel along with the salts...




Let me show you the drag washers out of a Shimano stradic that came into the shop recently for repairs... notice how the drag washers have a raised edge to them? It is easy to see the person who owned this reel cranked down the drag and left it that way and this is the results:



No matter what the reel, baitcast, closed face, underspin, fly, spinning, whatever... always back off the drag so there is no pressure on the drag washers.

If you want them to be there ready to use the next time you go fishing, don't permanently compress them as shown here. Always back off the drag on every reel or pay the price eventually!
so do you recommend wiping the reel down, and leaving the salt on the fishing line?
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
FloridaFishinFool
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Apr 08 2019
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 215312
FloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFloridaFishinFool has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
so do you recommend wiping the reel down, and leaving the salt on the fishing line?
No. I'd remove the spool if that is an issue and treat it separately. But keep in mind, rinsing the outer layers of line more than likely would not remove salt from the middle or bottom layers of line.

Quite often when we see reels that have been used in saltwater quite a bit, the spools corrode from about middle of line layers to inner core.

A quick rinse or light spraying would never get it out of there any way, only push it deeper into the lower layers- which is precisely where I see a lot of spools corrode.
FloridaFishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #20
irbjd
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Aug 11 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 2,166
Rep Power: 8255504
irbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirate
If you need a main gear let me know. I can help you out.
irbjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2CoolFishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chronarch 50Mg drag Extremecoastal Reel repair, maintenance, and upgrade forum 7 10-31-2013 12:48 AM
Chronarch 50mg R Little Reel repair, maintenance, and upgrade forum 4 08-18-2013 04:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2019
© 2013 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise