2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

TPWD wants your input for the 2019 Red Snapper Season

11K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  Kenner21 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Hi guys
When do snapper spawn ?
Should we give them a break during this time so we can have more for later ?
I was thinking a split season.
Maybe all of May to catch Memorial day.
Skip June.
All of July to catch July 4th.
Skip August.
All of September to catch Labor day.
And then all of October to catch some cool days and flat seas....

Just a thought...

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
They actually spawn May June July and August which is prime time for charters which is an issue because that is when charters make $ and tourists want to fish. Follow the $$. If they were to close snapper during those months then not only the charters lose out but so do the seaside communities that rely on tourists. So there you have it.

#11 ·
I just wanted to note that this is for the private angler only. Federally-permitted charters will remain under federal management with likely a June 1 start date. TPWD is highly interested in offering flexible dates and will value any input by recreational anglers. Comment period begins December 11th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Charlie,
This has been considered but since these larger fish are found in deeper waters, there would be an extremely high mortality rate due to barotrauma. These discarded dead fish would still be counted towards our landings total so it's probably better to keep them.
The Vision 2020 document suggests that we should just enjoy the "experience" and go to total catch and release by 2020. Some say that this would open the door for total closure of access due to excessive release mortality.
Best,
Tom

#15 ·
Targeting sows, that’s no bueno. Now by happenstance and knowing abysmal mortality rates with catch and release in deep water, might as well put them in the fish box. The meat is alittle tougher l, doesn’t fit so good in a pan like the slightly smaller ones.

#27 ·
I think the number of fishable days in each month goes into the equation for determining how many days in our season, so if we skip June, it may reduce the number of season days, which may or may not be a bad trade off.

Please attend the meeting Tuesday night and these type of issues can be answered by TPWD personnel.

#34 ·
Yes. Credit to TPWD for listening and taking our comments into consideration for year 2 of the EFP. Passing amendment 50 is critical for red snapper seasons after 2019.

http://gulfcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/Amendment-50_FINAL.pdf

We need lots of participation from private rec anglers. Rest assured the CFH component will be in attendance.

Meeting dates are Jan 14-16

Monday, January 14, 2019
3955 N. Expressway Brownsville, TX 78520

Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Omni Hotels Corpus Christi 900 N. Shoreline Boulevard Corpus Christi, TX 78401

Wednesday, January 16, 2019
League City Civic Center 400 W. Walker Street League City, TX 77573

#38 ·
I was out of town and couldn't make the meeting. I chose Option B. June is a bust as far as I'm concerned and I would rather have Labor Day and Sept to try and get kids out than May and Memorial Day. I also suggested that after Labor Day they use remaining TAC allocation to extend season for a Fri-Sun (only) into Sept -Oct (closing would extend past Sept 16).

#39 · (Edited)
The turnout was relatively small, since there is no longer the urgency of a 3 day season hanging over our heads - kudos to TPWD for their hard work in getting us the 82 day federal season last year and what looks to be even more days in the years to come!

I like "A" since it gives us 97 days. At some point, I would like to see a fall season as October is really my favorite time of the year to fish. Let's see if we can get back to the April 21 to October 31 season each year - the fishery was rebuilding at that time with that 194 day season (with 4 snapper limits) and I don't see why it wouldn't continue to rebuild with 194 days and 2 snapper limits. BTW, 97 days is exactly 1/2 of our former 194 day season.

Texas fishermen have been subsidizing the fishery over off of Florida and Alabama for too long - AM 50 is a great first step in correcting that BS. Since we have over 40% of the snapper offshore of Texas, why are we only getting 7% of the fish in the allocation?

Texas charter captains are getting the royal shaft by being forced to fish under the federal Sector Separation program which manages Florida/Alabama fishermen EXACTLY the same as Texas fishermen despite enormous differences in effort, biomass, and ecosystems. The recent headboat and charter AP meetings exposed the reasoning for managing the Gulf for-hire separately, since they are still wanting to go to "rights based management". The ONLY reason Sector Separation was implemented was to provide the platform to implement IFQs for the for-hire boats and fish tags for private recs. The headboat AP voted to recommend to the Council that they want IFQs. The charter AP finally came to the conclusion, after I have been telling them for 8 YEARS, that Catch Shares will not work for the Gulf charter boats as it would DRASTICALLY reduce their customers' access. There are still some Galveston charter captains who still want Catch Shares even if it means reducing their fishing days (since they would be given OWNERSHIP of the fish - $$$$$$$). They now want to be managed by season days/bag limits and increduously, still believe that ELBs (electronic logbooks) will allow them to relook at Catch Shares in the future. Once ELBs come into play, the true Texas and FL panhandle CFH landings (hundreds of thousands of pounds of red snapper) will be added into their allocation, again further reducing their days.

#40 ·
I like option A. It provides the most fishing days and provided for the best economic impact to coastal communities because it covers the full school summer school vacation.
March would definitely see bigger fish, closer in, but the odds of getting out aren't very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.