Bringing a reel back to new - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #11
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drundel View Post
Try to polish the bearings. Basically, get a dremel and rig up something to get them to spin VERY fast and then repeat the cleaning in acetone.

It helps remove small junk that may be stuck in there.

Also what impulse said is correct, a lot of the older shimanos come with grease in the spool bearings.

I like this idea.

Tiny specs of grit can remain in a bearing after only a soaking. The high speed spin is a physical way of obliterating any remaining grit.

Another bearing subject to geek out on. ABEC5 vs ABEC7.

I’m in the camp that ABEC5 is right for baitcasters. This is because we operate them in conditions where the bearings do get dirty over time. ABEC7 specs are tighter than ABEC5. Plus, they often cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanerojooz View Post
I like this idea.

Tiny specs of grit can remain in a bearing after only a soaking. The high speed spin is a physical way of obliterating any remaining grit.

Another bearing subject to geek out on. ABEC5 vs ABEC7.

I’m in the camp that ABEC5 is right for baitcasters. This is because we operate them in conditions where the bearings do get dirty over time. ABEC7 specs are tighter than ABEC5. Plus, they often cost more.

ABEC5.

ABEC7/9 are absolutely overkill for reels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABEC_scale

https://www.f1ceramic.com/ball-abec-ratings/

I could go on. Here is a chart I found in google.

===============================
ABEC 1 less than 25,000 rpm
ABEC 3 less than 32,500 rpm
ABEC 5 less than 37,000 rpm
ABEC 7 less than 43,000 rpm
===============================

In short, if anyone says ABEC5 casts further than ABEC7, they are a bearing salesmen.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #13
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just for comparison purposes take the reel or reels you’ve been cleaning and lubing yourself to a professional reel repairman. Over-lubing and/or the type of lube used is the next worse thing to no lube.
^^^^^THIS
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #14
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Bringing a reel back to new

Here’s an explanation of what too much oil does.

Only use only 1 drop of oil on the roller bearing. If you add too many drops, oil will gather inside the bearing races. To much oil and the ball bearing is pushing a tiny wave of oil inside the race like a water ski pushing water. That extra bit of resistance will slow the bearing down.

Oils for roller bearings. Lot of good ones on the market. Hot Sauce was my original favorite. I switched to TSI 321 for its high tech performance and penetration capabilities. You won’t find TSI 321 on the shelf or in a store.

Not many carry a bottle of oil in their tackle bag. Oil never stays in those bottles and gets on everything. I bought one of these to address that issue... https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCEiAQAvD_BwE

Last edited by habanerojooz; 05-22-2020 at 06:25 AM.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
HWS
Registered Users-pm+

HWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of RiggerHWS has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Gun Oil

I have a 3 year old Shimano Chronarc CI4+ 150HG that started short casting after about 6 months of use. I have acquired a lot of very nice reels over the years and service all of them. I cleaned this one up and thought I screwed up when I did not get any improvement in casting. Basically, the Abu Garcia and Penn reel oil was too thick so a soaked it with a lot of gun oil, drained it. Casts like new. I maintain performance by removing the spool once a month in the summer and add a 3 or 4 drops of gun oil to both ball bearing areas and the level wind, takes about 90 seconds.

I still use Penn reel oil on my spinning reels and offshore reels ( I have a big bottle). I did not use Shimano reel oil because I used up or let leak out all those annoying small vials of oil that come with the reels. Shimano oil might work and some of the other oils mentioned might work but gun oil is cheap and works great.
HWS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2020, 06:17 AM   #16
That Robbie Guy
Registered Users-pm+

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
I just need an address where I can send / drop off for reliable service.
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
j4577
Registered Users-pm+

j4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Piratej4577 has been promoted to Pirate
Bringing a reel back to new

I recently used Matthews reel repair in San Antonio. Good service and reasonable I thought. 210-343-0589 10851 Vandale St, San Antonio 78216
j4577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #18
Mike in Friendswood
But, I live in Bayou Vista!

Mike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to Pirate
It has been mentioned, but I would also suspect overlubing. If it is great for a trip or two then fades, the lube is getting into places it shouldn't be. Those places would be: inside the pinion gear, one the spool shaft, behind the spool bearing, inside the frame rims next to the spool. Clean any lube from these areas (doesnot require a reel break down) with a qtip and a wedge of paper towel inside the pinion gear. I have seen this 3 minute procedure instantly bring many a reel back to life.
Mike in Friendswood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #19
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
This video and its sister video (Part 2) will give you a lot of cleaning tips that I've used to maintain my reels for years. I do also pay a pro to give them a complete break-down once every 20-25 trips.

ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message