2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

House phones ring when my wife's cell phone rings?

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  richg99 
#1 ·
Probably a stupid, or impossible, question but....

We presently have a multiple unit wireless phone system at home..similar to this...

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WHYS0...&pd_rd_r=0314c8df-cff9-11e8-ab44-9143b7b890b1

It is connected to a Comcast modem and works OK. Multiple phones ring when the home number is called. We can answer any one of them. They also provide an answering service with the package.

However, I'd like to just have one "home" phone number, using my wife's cell number. Presently, she is 281-793-xxxx our home phone number is 281-537-xxxx.

I'd like to get rid of the Comcast modem and buy my own. The issue, when I look at a number of modems, is that most of them won't work with the Comcast telephone setup. i.e. I'd like to get Comcast out of my life as regards to telephone service.

I am already paying Verizon for cell phone service. I'd like to have one "main" telephone number that rings on both my wife's phone and in the house at multiple locations.

I believe that I am paying Comcast something like $17.00 a month for the modem, which includes wifi, and another $10.00 a month to have phone service with them. I'd still be paying Comcast for the wifi service, but it would be connected to my own modem.

The question is, can we drop the 281-537-xxxx number completely, and, when her cell rings.... 281-797-xxxx.... is there an app or a method to hook up the four or five wireless phones that we have scattered about our house so that they would ring all at the same time, or even just be forwarded to after the cell rings?

I can't figure out what the wireless phone system would be plugged into to make this work????

Any input or suggestions would be welcomed.
richg99

See less See more
#2 ·
Just break it down.

Go to the xfinity website (or one of their store front services), then you can find modems that are compatible and work with the phone/voice service enabled. That's one way or you can go inperson to Fry's electronics or Best Buy and hope you get a salesperson to give you selections. I would still wait to purchase, just get the choices (write them down). Don't waste time going to walmart, might be a great price but low chance getting help with anyone

Then shop around for the best price of your selection. Online will give you the best low price.

Once your choice arrives, write down all the info (may not need it but best to have it just in case) and connect the choice (modem, router, gateway ect). Follow the instructions. Can not stress that enough, follow the instructions (hardest part for males...not knocking us, just living in reality :))
Once it's setup, then you can connect any device (laptop, cell phone..whatever you want to the new wifi at home)

You are going to still need the verizon for cell phone service (unless you drop verizon and pick up a different carrier).

You can then decide what cell phone number you want on the call forward.

I think that's all, been a while since I setup a home service.

#3 ·
As always, thanks, Bill. I am fine with your suggestions up until the part that says....

It is the "You can then decide what cell phone number you want on the call forward." part that I am still confused on.

The present house setup is 4 or 5 wireless phones. None are cellphones. The number they have is the 281-537-xxxx. They are all connected, wirelessly, to one master station. That master station is plugged into my Comcast modem.

If I fire Comcast, and the master station is then plugged into my new modem, does it still have the 281-537-xxxx number?

When my wife's cell phone rings, what tells the Master station phone to ring?

I can see that, if somehow the master station had its own (old or new) number, then I could have all calls on my wife's phone forwarded to the home station automatically and simultaneously, I guess???? I have read that Google voice can automatically forward calls to any number.

My question is.... How do I get that Station number to be functioning without Comcast or some other phone company being involved?

Any further help appreciated.
rich

#5 ·
Your home phone service (comcast, vonage, ooma or google voice) whatever, they all are Voice over IP (VoIP). I was guessing since you have comcast (xfinity) they are the ones providing the home service.

I had vonage for years with the comcast providing internet. I switched to comcast phone service because it was actually a few dollars lower.

If you go with the ooma, there is no fees (other than tax) involved. You do pay more for the device but in time you save. It works just like all the others. Several 2cool members have ooma and I have not heard any negative.

You do not have to have call forward (my mistake, thought you wanted that on the Wife's cell)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.