Naples Fl tips or experience - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
CroakerChoker
Native Texan

CroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to Pirate
Naples Fl tips or experience

I will be heading to Naples Fl in mid March and staying at the Ritz-Carlton on the beach. I’ll be taking my 8wt and was wondering if anybody has had any DIY success there? What flies should I tie up and in what colors? Would I find some fish along the beach or should I head to somewhere like Clam Pass Park and rent a SUP and fish the back lakes from it? Also considering getting a guide, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
CroakerChoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I was down the road in Everglades city fishing the everglades in early December. Found lots of snook and small tampon. Averaged 20 fish a day over three days. I was fishing with a guide. You can try the beach but March is a bit early.
The fly of choice was the Redfish crack in white. See photo. Make sure it has a good weed guard, because if you aren't throwing in the bushes you aren't going to catch fish.I tied mine on a Gamakatsu SL11 3H in size 1.
The photo of the Snook is about average for what I was catching though I lost much larger one when he broke my leader (15#).make sure you have heavy bite tippet(30#) or larger.
Attached Images

Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
1fisher77316
Registered Users-pm+

1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate
You might also go to Microskiff.com and ask the same question. Lots of Florida based fly fisherman there. I'll be doing a DIY in February to the Miami area & then Grand Cayman.
Tight lines & Good Fishing to you..
1fisher77316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
CroakerChoker
Native Texan

CroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to PirateCroakerChoker has been promoted to Pirate
Popperdave, is that dumbbell or bead chain on your fly and what size? One challenge I have with tying is matching those up with hook size.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
Those are large size bead chain. I use both bead chain and dumbdell in various sizes. I want some of them to sink fast and others to sink slowly, this is a slow sinker, i work it just under the surface. What I do is tie up a couple of different combinations of hooks and eyes and take them down to the local pond and try them. What I look for, is how fast they sink and how they move in the water. Once you find a combination that works, tie up several of each.
I would also tie up some in black/purple with red body in case the water is murky.
They work great for Reds too, just use the ones that sink faster.
Have fun tying and good fishing.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
CroakerChoker
Native Texan

Popperdave thanks for your response, do you ever tie them up weightless and in what situations would you use them that way. I apologize for using you as a free source of knowledge. Once again thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Not a problem, I enjoy talking fly fishing and fly tying. Yes, I have tried tying them weightless,with plastic eyes. If you use a heavy wire hook they will work ok. But I found they wanted to skate across surface.
I want mine to sink slowly so I can control how deep they run. The faster you strip the closer to the surface it will run.