2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Good surf options for a poor sap without a 4x4

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chimster 
#1 ·
I really enjoy fishing Sargent by Mitchell's cut. But I get tired of having to leach off my buddies with 4x4s. Can someone share some good options that are accessible with a 2wd? Yeah... I know... Just buy a 4x4. I will when I get to stop paying rediculously inflated prices for my kids' college.

#4 ·
Surfside

I've been driving my elantra down there for 7 years and have only been stuck once. As said, Surfside isn't as good as other places for catching big reds or shark, no clue why that is. If you go as far down towards the pass as possible you will find slot reds and bulls.

#5 ·
It isn't good because no structure. No mud no shell it's just flat stale sterile beach. I still fish there and we put bull reds and sharks on the beach but nothing like down in matagorda. So like.you mentioned fish the passes, the currents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Surfside is my go to, I've caught tons of trout, flounder, reds and especially sharks there off the beach. Just stay out of the fluffy white stuff at the entrances when its dry,Quintanna beach is also good but had some storm damage that limits access further down now. San Luis Pass is just down the road and also produces alot of good fish. Bolivar is another great spot but a further drive for me. Each beach will have a variety of big 4X4s and small compact cars at any given time so just stay off the soft stuff and you will be good. Lots of good beach and jetty fishing around the are for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.