Stocking History of Striped Bass for Lake Livingston - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Reel Time
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to Pirate
Stocking History of Striped Bass for Lake Livingston

Stocking history of Striped Bass for Lake Livingston
Just in case anyone was interested, I copied this from the TPWD site.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...p?WB_code=0451

Bass, Striped 2010 1,938,340 Fry
Bass, Striped 2009 814,606 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2008 206,090 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2007 796,122 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2006 746,278 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2005 526,148 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2004 437,508 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2003 1,032,104 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2002 1,392,893 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 2000 900,264 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1999 913,952 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1998 689,849 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1997 985,431 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1996 207,158 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1996 233,921 Fry
Bass, Striped 1995 900,833 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1994 674,449 Fry
Bass, Striped 1994 1,114,221 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1993 405,370 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1992 351,750 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1989 766,205 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1989 139,482 Fry
Bass, Striped 1988 599,100 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1988 300,515 Fry
Bass, Striped 1987 898,585 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1986 448,485 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1985 896,996 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1984 1,424,455 Fingerling
Bass, Striped 1983 189,265
Bass, Striped 1982 341,357
Bass, Striped 1980 283,584
Bass, Striped 1979 224,000
Bass, Striped 1978 117,091
Bass, Striped 1977 884,726
Reel Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Boomhauer75
Adrenaline Junkie Redneck

Boomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to PirateBoomhauer75 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the info. Looking at the numbers seems that 2010 was the highest number vs. previous years.
Boomhauer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Reel Time
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to Pirate
I wonder what the survival rate of the fry is compared to the fingerlings.
TPWD has certainly put a lot of stripers in the lake. My Dad and I were discussing the other day what the effects of this have been on the large mouth bass. I believe when they introduced the stripers in 1977 that the LMB population has been hurt. Stripers have no predators in the lake and I think they feed on any fry they can find, including LMB.
Reel Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Sunbeam
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL

Sunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to Pirate
Reel time, according to my pal Mark Webb,LL biologist, The stripers do not enter the the LMB habitat. The striper is a open water eating machine that takes lots of bait fish to survive. Mark said that if there were no bait in the open areas the stripers would just swim around out there til they died of hunger. The LMB spawn and one & two year old fingerlings are strictly a shallow water structure oriented fish. Until the LMB gets up to 12 to 14 inches it does not cross paths with the striper. The real killer of LMB off spring is the carp & Buffalo that feed on the LMB eggs in the nest. Livingston has a much higher population of rough fish than most Texas lakes. Mark said the non game fish in LL are about 95% of the total population of the lake. Most are shad but a more than normal number of carp.
Sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Sunbeam
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL

Sunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to PirateSunbeam has been promoted to Pirate
It is interesting that after 14 years of only stocking fingerlings TP&W has used nearly two million fry this year. The only survival numbers I can find on fry is from Arkansas. About 7 to 10 percent make it though the 1st year then about a 10% annual lose for the next four years. I have no idea if these numbers would apply to LL. The Arkansas striper do much better there than in LL. I would think the LL mortality rate would be higher.
Stocking fry instead of fingerlings is going to have an impact on the legal striper catch in about four years.
These fry were from this years hatchery production. The fingerlings come from last years production. So if there were no one year old striper this year we will have a gap in the population. 2012/2013 we will have legal fish that are four years old that were stocked in 2009. Those fish were one year old at stocking plus the three years in the lake. There will be no just under size fish since the 2010 fry will be two years behind the class of '09 in age.
An interesting concept.
I have not talked to Mark in a while. Maybe I'll call him and ask why only fry. It could be they lost last years fingerlings in the severe cold in north Texas last winter. Those feed-out ponds are shallow. Might have frozen solid.
Scanning the stocking records of the large "popular striper lakes" it appears that all of the July striper stockings this year were fry. Only Possum Kingdom got fingerlings but only about 25% of the normal annual stocking.
Just some of my useless trivia. But when you are hanging around Pine Island at day light in July 2013 and all the stripers are 12 inches. Remember what ol' Sunbeam said. LOL<G>

Last edited by Sunbeam; 08-02-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
markbrumbaugh
Sea Hunt Triton 188

markbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
Reel time, according to my pal Mark Webb,LL biologist, The stripers do not enter the the LMB habitat. The striper is a open water eating machine that takes lots of bait fish to survive. Mark said that if there were no bait in the open areas the stripers would just swim around out there til they died of hunger. The LMB spawn and one & two year old fingerlings are strictly a shallow water structure oriented fish. Until the LMB gets up to 12 to 14 inches it does not cross paths with the striper. The real killer of LMB off spring is the carp & Buffalo that feed on the LMB eggs in the nest. Livingston has a much higher population of rough fish than most Texas lakes. Mark said the non game fish in LL are about 95% of the total population of the lake. Most are shad but a more than normal number of carp.
How come they don't stock any hybrids? I hear our wipers are natural crosses between the stocked male striper and female whites.
markbrumbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
markbrumbaugh
Sea Hunt Triton 188

markbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Piratemarkbrumbaugh has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time View Post
I wonder what the survival rate of the fry is compared to the fingerlings.
TPWD has certainly put a lot of stripers in the lake. My Dad and I were discussing the other day what the effects of this have been on the large mouth bass. I believe when they introduced the stripers in 1977 that the LMB population has been hurt. Stripers have no predators in the lake and I think they feed on any fry they can find, including LMB.
Its the silt and lack of cover, IMHO.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrumbaugh View Post
How come they don't stock any hybrids? I hear our wipers are natural crosses between the stocked male striper and female whites.

Mark this was covered in the past, but before you became a regular on the forum. The TP&W don't want to stock hybrids because it would be competition for their stripers in the lake. The TP&W consider Livingston important for striper brood fish, with ALL of their striper brood fish coming from below Lake Livingston dam. These striper brood fish are not only for more stripers, but for hybrids to stock elsewhere also. They can't gather brood fish from below Texoma because Oklahoma legally owns the whole river there, instead of the line being down the middle.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
markbrumbaugh
Sea Hunt Triton 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebassfisher View Post
Mark this was covered in the past, but before you became a regular on the forum. The TP&W don't want to stock hybrids because it would be competition for their stripers in the lake. The TP&W consider Livingston important for striper brood fish, with ALL of their striper brood fish coming from below Lake Livingston dam. These striper brood fish are not only for more stripers, but for hybrids to stock elsewhere also. They can't gather brood fish from below Texoma because Oklahoma legally owns the whole river there, instead of the line being down the middle.
makes sense. thanks