Rockport - It's Worse Than I Thought - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #31
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
I have an unrelated question for you POC. Do you think if we parked at Fulton Harbor, will we be able to see the fireworks good enough from there, or try to battle the crowds and get closer?
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #32
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
I have an unrelated question for you POC. Do you think if we parked at Fulton Harbor, will we be able to see the fireworks good enough from there, or try to battle the crowds and get closer?

LOL. Thanks for breaking up the monotony and tension. Seriously.

I live just down the street from the Harbor. Like in the next block. (That should put the crazies on my trail. ) From my house I can't see the fireworks at all. I confess, I have never tried to see them from the harbor parking lot, but my gut response is that it wouldn't be good enough for me.

The fairgrounds are usually covered over with the Art Center's festival on the 4th. I posted elsewhere that they have had to cancel this year, so the fairgrounds will be wide open. I think that is probably your best bet, so long as you aren't in a hurry to get in or out.

It's funny. This week I have had 4-5 things come up that made me think of Clayton Williams' infamous comment, "Just lie back and enjoy it." I don't think that has crossed my mind in a couple of decades. I don't enjoy the press of thousands of people, and I don't like the aggressive rush to leave when the fireworks are done. But I think they are worth it. I will probably be at the fairgrounds myself. I'll come a little early, and stay a little late, and just enjoy it.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #33
Flat Nasty
Registered Users-pm+

Flat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to Pirate
If you are in the right spot you can see the fire work show in rockport and in port A at the same time. Pretty cool
Flat Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 07:38 PM   #34
shane.bonnot
Registered Users-pm+

shane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateershane.bonnot has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Here’s the entire GLO Coastal Resiliency Master Plan https://glo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cas...01ce0f8c96a790

R3-2 is the Fulton Beach shoreline project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shane.bonnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #35
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

Ryan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to Pirate
fish structure? might make shore fishing better
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #36
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
POCjetty, I am not arguing your many points on this or other threads and I know you have a lot of knowledge about the fishing and conditions in that area and I apologize if you covered this in previous responses. I did not read all of every response in the thread

We had a place at the yacht and racket club condos for almost 10 years & and I fished the area, including that shoreline, a lot from both the pier and wading. Also spent another 10 years since then with access to a house further south (aligned with the end of the runway). I never caught anything but crabs and a very occasional flounder that close to the shore. Most of the trout I caught were over shell in 3-4 feet of water or under the lights of the pier. The sand flat that close to shore was so shallow and bare, it held little cover but at the shoreline for a few mud minnows and finger mullet. It is all pretty homogeneous and I would think the wave breaks would add variety of structure and depth, increase cover for baitfish, and protect the shoreline from further erosion.

I will certainly admit that the early wave breaks and wetlands restoration projects built in the Galveston area either never panned out as advertised or took 10 years to develop, but the more recent projects have worked to restore grass habitat and protect shorelines. One recent wave break and grass restoration project near Virginia Point, where I was part of the grass planting effort a couple of years after it was built (they now let the silt fill in for 2 years before planting grass), has been quite a success. Even when the grass was being planted, there were lots of baitfish behind the break and I saw a few small flounder.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #37
RonE
Registered Users-pm+

RonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to PirateRonE has been promoted to Pirate
If you have been along the shoreline of Aransas Bay during a high water event whether tropical storm, high winds and high water or just high winds and driven along the shoreline, you will have noticed water in the road and the shoulder of the road washing away. These rock breakwaters are probably a good idea, especially the way they are broken and staggered. Seasonally there is good trout and flounder fishing from the shore and I cannot see where these structures will do anything but help the shore fishing.

Last edited by RonE; 07-02-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spilling mistakes
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #38
jas415
Registered Users-pm+

jas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Piratejas415 has been promoted to Pirate
"I own the land on the shoreline. If they accrete additional land artificially (and it obviously will) that land will not belong to me. It will be under the control of the local Navigation District, who has a history of land grabs. My home will no longer be able to be called "waterfront", and the loss of value to me is staggering."

I am under the impression the state owns all the beaches. I would think a landowner would own the land from the grass land inward and the state owns it outwards toward the water. So, if there was a lot more filled in areas behind he breakwater rock groins, then I would think you would benefit with more land. I am not any sort of expert on that but it seems logical. Also, follow the money! Which contractors are getting the contracts, local or out of state? See if you can get copies of the bids, they should be public information. Research the contractors and their political donations. Lots of times they are all in the same pot!

Hang in there!
jas415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 11:26 PM   #39
bfrog2
Bfrog2

bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bfrog2 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
POC, have you thought about being a commissioner for the Nav District? I mean this in all seriousness. You are obviously well informed and care about the area. Might be able to effect more change from within than without. Just a thought.
bfrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 AM   #40
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas415 View Post
"I own the land on the shoreline. If they accrete additional land artificially (and it obviously will) that land will not belong to me. It will be under the control of the local Navigation District, who has a history of land grabs. My home will no longer be able to be called "waterfront", and the loss of value to me is staggering."

I am under the impression the state owns all the beaches. I would think a landowner would own the land from the grass land inward and the state owns it outwards toward the water. So, if there was a lot more filled in areas behind he breakwater rock groins, then I would think you would benefit with more land. I am not any sort of expert on that but it seems logical. Also, follow the money! Which contractors are getting the contracts, local or out of state? See if you can get copies of the bids, they should be public information. Research the contractors and their political donations. Lots of times they are all in the same pot!

Hang in there!

So when land builds up ("accretes") naturally, it belongs to the landowner. If it accretes as a result of some human action, it belongs to the government. And if you read the court cases, there is a presumption that land never accretes naturally - so it is up to the landowner to prove it. One of the things they look at is that a natural accretion has to take place "imperceptibly, over a period of time". If some new sand or dirt suddenly appears? They are going to claim you did it. In this case, the presumption will be (always) that new land accreted as a result of a human action.

Things don't always go as expected in a courtroom, so there are probably some exceptions. But the government always has more to spend on lawyers than the rest of us, and this is one area where they will spend way more than the land is worth.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message