2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Which I-Pilot?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Freefron 
#1 ·
I have a Nautic Star 214 XTS SB, 24V system in place. I don't need the auto deploy, manual deploy is fine. 95% Saltwater use. With so many options and features what should I go with? I will be getting it serviced next month and want to get it installed.

#2 ·
Here is my take on the topic. Look at the difference between the iPilot and CoPilot. If all you are going to do is navigate using the remote buttons, then CoPilot is perfectly fine. If you find that you will be using it and pairing it with a chart plotter to navigate a track or using the memory functions to navigate a back over a recorded track or using anchor lock, then go with iPilot.
You can always add iPilot at a later time. CoPilot comes standard.
Lastly, the iPilot remotes are heavy.
Don’t get me wrong the technology is great and I would buy the system again. Just make sure you are going to use all the features before you spend the additional cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Here is my take on the topic. Look at the difference between the iPilot and CoPilot. If all you are going to do is navigate using the remote buttons, then CoPilot is perfectly fine. If you find that you will be using it and pairing it with a chart plotter to navigate a track or using the memory functions to navigate a back over a recorded track or using anchor lock, then go with iPilot.
You can always add iPilot at a later time. CoPilot comes standard.
Lastly, the iPilot remotes are heavy.
Don’t get me wrong the technology is great and I would buy the system again. Just make sure you are going to use all the features before you spend the additional cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The anchor lock is important to me. I don't think I will be pairing it to the chart plotter though. I like to have the option down the road though.

#5 ·
Riptide Terrova i-Pilot. Saltwater version.

Since you already have 24v in place, it's easy to install a 24v, 80# TM. I had an 80# unit on my previous 18' boat and it worked well. Your boat is bigger and heavier. The 80# should be fine for your boat, but the 36v 112# unit will pull your boat around with much less effort, work less hard to hold your boat in place when on anchor lock, etc. Perhaps others with boats of similar size as yours will chime in on the 80# vs 112# thrust option.

Bottom line is that it is very nice to have a TM with strong thrust when the wind is blowing and the current is flowing. Think jetties, hovering over deep reefs in the middle of the bay, hovering at just the right spot near a platform, or you just finished a drift and you want to circle back for another drift but rather not fire up the big motor and you don't want to take forever on the TM either....80# will work but the 112# will do it better and with less effort.

I purchased only the Terrova i-Pilot TM and no additional accessories. BTW ...anchor lock is a standard feature on i-Pilots. I don't personally have a need for the CoPilot option. I have a 24' boat now and I moved up to the 36v, 60" shaft, 112# unit. A 24' boat absolutely needs a 112# unit. IMO, your 21' boat can go either way. Like an outboard, if you can afford the bigger one, you probably won't regret it and it will be a notable feature when you sell the boat.

Boatwerx installed my Terrova i-Pilot and some new Deka batteries. Very satisfied with their work and I highly recommend them.

#6 ·
Riptide Terrova i-Pilot. Saltwater version.

Since you already have 24v in place, it's easy to install a 24v, 80# TM. I had an 80# unit on my previous 18' boat and it worked well. Your boat is bigger and heavier. The 80# should be fine for your boat, but the 36v 112# unit will pull your boat around with much less effort, work less hard to hold your boat in place when on anchor lock, etc. Perhaps others with boats of similar size as yours will chime in on the 80# vs 112# thrust option.

Bottom line is that it is very nice to have a TM with strong thrust when the wind is blowing and the current is flowing. Think jetties, hovering over deep reefs in the middle of the bay, hovering at just the right spot near a platform, or you just finished a drift and you want to circle back for another drift but rather not fire up the big motor and you don't want to take forever on the TM either....80# will work but the 112# will do it better and with less effort.

I purchased only the Terrova i-Pilot TM and no additional accessories. BTW ...anchor lock is a standard feature on i-Pilots. I don't personally have a need for the CoPilot option. I have a 24' boat now and I moved up to the 36v, 60" shaft, 112# unit. A 24' boat absolutely needs a 112# unit. IMO, your 21' boat can go either way. Like an outboard, if you can afford the bigger one, you probably won't regret it and it will be a notable feature when you sell the boat.

Boatwerx installed my Terrova i-Pilot and some new Deka batteries. Very satisfied with their work and I highly recommend them.
Thank you. This is Great info.

#9 ·

Looks like the 80# thrust is the way to go.

As stated earlier, i-Pilot remote is kind of heavy to wear on the neck all day, especially during the summer. I made this handy holder and I wear it clipped to a pants belt loop. It takes the load off my neck and it gives me quick access to my power pole remote and clippers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.