best baitcaster recommendation?? shimano, lews or others - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Extremewaderdude
Registered Users-pm+

Extremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to GunnerExtremewaderdude has been promote to Gunner
Thumbs up best baitcaster recommendation?? shimano, lews or others

Im looking to buy a new shimano baitcaster that can hold up in saltwater...Im old school and i love shimano curado 100b, citica 200e, curado 50e, chronach 50e, 50mg, list goes on...Those are hard to find nowadays, been looking all over and cant find any of those. So i guess its time to buy something brand new that is up to date. I mainly fish for trout, redfish and flounder...Any helpful advices would be greatly appreciated. I could go for another brand such as Lews. Just dont know much about lews like i do with Shimano.... Also i prefer 6:2:1 to 6:4 for gear ratio but over 7 is optional. Thanks everyone

tight-lines
Extremewaderdude aka Ryanlovesfishing

Last edited by Extremewaderdude; 05-12-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Extremewaderdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
My son fishes with the Curado K and the DC. He prefers the cheaper K. You probably won't find any reel these days that hold up like the old greenies, but they all work great when newer. I have a new Lews lite, but it just doesn't feel right in my hand, but most love them. I'm stuck on a Concept C, it just feels good.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
LSUALUM
Geaux Tigers!

LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)LSUALUM has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
You are going to open a can of worms with this question and get a million different opinions. All of the main manufacturers make reels that work great and hold up to saltwater(relatively speaking). I have reels from Shimano, Abu Garcia, Lews, & 13 Fishing that I use for inshore fishing. I have multiple in each brand that work great and when I grab a certain one or 2, it has nothing to do with the reel and more to do with the rod they are on. Just pick one and enjoy fishing. I'm not saying you can buy a 50.00 reel and be happy with it, but from my experience, if you pay over 150.00 for a reel, and that is not a requirement by the way, it will be fine for what you need it for. Maintaining, cleaning, oiling, etc. all play a key factor in that also.

Last edited by LSUALUM; 05-12-2020 at 02:53 PM.
LSUALUM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
I have a Curado DC, Lews Inshore custom and a Diawa Coastal.
The Diawa is my favorite. It has a magnetic controller that just seems to work well for me. The Lews has a magnetic controller as well but cant really see any differences when making an adjustment like I can on the Diawa.
Davidsel47 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
kurtkov
Registered Users-pm+

kurtkov is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have the Lews custom inshore and it was my go to, but since I tried the new Diawia coastal 150 it seems a little more friendly casting into the wind and no thumbing it. It also seems very easy to dial in in comparison to the lews. I use both when going out on most occasions.
JMO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
kurtkov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Jkmoore03
Registered Users-pm+

Jkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to Pirate
I’m a die hard Shimano guy too. My main go to reel is a Curado 200HG, but I recently bought the Shimano SLX DC and it’s sweet for the money. I got it thinking it would be good for my wife and to teach my son how to throw a bait caster, but man I love it. It and my Curado are now my two favorite soft plastic reels. The digital control (DC) on the SLX is very forgiving even when throwing light plastics into the wind. It’s almost impossible to backlash once you get it set right.

And as an FYI, they also make the Curado DC. I’ve heard good things about it but haven’t personally used one.

Oh, and mine are used in the salt at least 3-4 times a month.
Jkmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
I’m a fan of the curado K
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 PM   #8
thirdcoastangler
Registered Users-pm+

thirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunnerthirdcoastangler has been promote to Gunner
The Lew’s Custom Inshore is what I would recommend. A little higher gear ratio, 7.5, than you’re looking for, but it’s a very nice reel. If I tinker with the breaking system and spool tensioner I’ve been able to throw any sized lure any distance that’s needed. Birdnesting hasn’t been an issue either, even into the wind. It’s very light weight and the Dri-Tec handle knobs are also nice.
thirdcoastangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
fisheye48
Registered Users-pm+

fisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Pirate
Ive thrown alot of reels and keep going back to my shimano curado k. I picked up a diawa tatula that i really like. im gonna start throwing the diawa more this year to see how it holds up.
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye48 View Post
Ive thrown alot of reels and keep going back to my shimano curado k. I picked up a diawa tatula that i really like. im gonna start throwing the diawa more this year to see how it holds up.
My son is the same way, he loves that reel, and he has more expensive ones to choose from.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message