Beginners question- strike indicators - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
Spinky
Registered Users-pm+

Spinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to Pirate
Beginners question- strike indicators

So I have a question about using strike indicators in saltwater. Don't see it at all on searches as well as here. Why? We use popping corks all the time, why not use an indicator to keep an imitation shrimp or baitfish fly suspended. I'm speaking basically about use in the surf and/or jetties.
Just curious.

And the followup question- how DO you fish these flies in those situations?
Thanks for for your info and patience..
Spinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I really haven’t done much of any indicator fishing, but I never enjoyed fishing popping corks all that much. Still, no reason it wouldn’t work. I’d say fish it like you would a DoA shrimp or something.

I do like to drift shrimp and baitfish flies in current, they are suspended by the floating fly line. Let them drift, mend enough to maintain control of the line and drift.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
Spinky
Registered Users-pm+

Spinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
I really haven’t done much of any indicator fishing, but I never enjoyed fishing popping corks all that much. Still, no reason it wouldn’t work. I’d say fish it like you would a DoA shrimp or something.

I do like to drift shrimp and baitfish flies in current, they are suspended by the floating fly line. Let them drift, mend enough to maintain control of the line and drift.
I was hoping you would chime in, thanks. Yeah, I figured letting them drift like freelining shrimp would be the way to go, was just thinking a flotation device might keep them from sinking too far down, wasn't sure how much the line would keep them suspended. I know it might not be a "purist" way to go about it, but it was just an idle thought I had the other day.
Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I see no reason you cant use a strike indicator(float). The only concern I have is most saltwater flies well hang vertical. Unless you give it some action. It will also be somewhat harder to cast.
My suggestion is to rig one up and see what it looks like in the water, you may come up with a new way to fish. Experimenting is the only way to find out if it works.
Good luck , and let us know how it turns out.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
One of the issues I see is lack of action. If the water is clear, the fish might be sight feeding but we don't get a lot of really clear water on the upper Texas coast. Unless you use scent on the fly, it might be hard for a fish to even find your fly much less trick it into taking a bite. The other issue is casting with an indicator will suck in windy conditions. If you can find a fly pattern that sinks level and slow with some good movement from the material you could be on to something. I suspect that it has been tried before and there is a reason no one is doing it...
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Spinky
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
One of the issues I see is lack of action. If the water is clear, the fish might be sight feeding but we don't get a lot of really clear water on the upper Texas coast. Unless you use scent on the fly, it might be hard for a fish to even find your fly much less trick it into taking a bite. The other issue is casting with an indicator will suck in windy conditions. If you can find a fly pattern that sinks level and slow with some good movement from the material you could be on to something. I suspect that it has been tried before and there is a reason no one is doing it...
Me too

Thanks for the input guys. I have some shrimp and crab patterns that I may play with a little. Not sure how the baitfish pattern clousers/small streamers would work, though. Never know until you try. And yeah, making casts with the early summer winds might be an issue.
That's why I'll have my conventional setups and arties along!
Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
2thDr
Registered Users-pm+

2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate2thDr has been promoted to Pirate
strike indicators in salt

Strike indicators are generally used in freshwater trout fishing to suspend an offering near the bottom in moving water and to let you know if you have a customer. Popping corks in salt are generally used for the same reasons, along with the sound generated attracting fish. Problem is flycasting an indicator rig is not so much casting as it is chucking and ducking. Not so much fun, but effective. Much of the joy of salt water flyfishing is the casting part, especially sight fishing. I'm sure you could suspend an offering under an indicator at the jetties and be effective. Perhaps even under lights with a moving tide. Surf? Likely rig would be overwhelmed by current and breaking waves. Most salt fly fishers adjust depth by weighting flies and using various sinking lines. But who knows? You might start a new trend. Good luck!
2thDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
easoutdoors
Registered Users-pm+

easoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirateeasoutdoors has been promoted to Pirate
Bobber

Fishing in moving or still water. Fishing to fish rising or fish suspended.
In fishing a river with fast or barely moving water it depends on if the fish are rising or suspended. Either way the most important thig is to get the fly to match the bug the fish are eating. So the fly selected is important. The dead drift making it look real is just as important or more. A strike indicator in salt water would have to be a good idea in the right application. But the size of the indicator would have to match the weight of the fly to allow it move naturally.
Fishing the mouth of a back lake drain with a lot of water moving would be a great spot for this. I think it would be better to match the hatch and adjust the sink rate with the weight of the fly. Unless there is no way to keep from getting snagged then add the strike indicator.
If we looked at fishing a cork with jig head and gulp or tail. The cork keeps it from snagging and keeps the bait in the strike zone. By popping the cork it adds movement and noise. You have to have the right cork that will grab water and not move to far with each pop. You have to have a rod with the right flex in the end of the rod to not pull the cork too far with each pop.
A fly rod is not designed to work like this.
easoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
noise.boy
Registered Users-pm+

noise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunnoise.boy has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I recommended this technique to a friend a while back. He was stuck casting from a dock. The Flymen Co even markets a foam popper for this for fly rods. IMO not a back technique for blind casting. I’ve never used it sight fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
noise.boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #10
Worm Drowner
Registered Users-pm+

Worm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to PirateWorm Drowner has been promoted to Pirate
Seems to me that tying a dropper in a shrimp pattern from a gurgler of some sort might just work.
Worm Drowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message