Boarding boat for handicapped - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > The Catfish Lounge
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
BobBobber
BobBobber

BobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to Pirate
Fish Boarding boat for handicapped

Finally, after approx. 10 months in hospital and skilled nursing, Surgeries healed and strength returning. One day last week, caught some cats in canal at home, But Conroe lake level dropping and cats swam out of canal.

Looking for advice on boarding our trailered boat from land. Before operations, used step ladder to get from ground level to boat gunnel, swung leg over and got in boat. Now not as agile until more strength returns, so asking for ideas from forum members who have faced similar problems. Plenty of grab-holds once in boat, so after I'm in boat, all is good!

Ready to fish again! Hospital confinement drove me nuts!
BobBobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Tigerhead52
Registered Users-pm+

Tigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Looking for advice on boarding our trailered boat from land.
BobBobber,

I want to make sure I understand the situation. Are you saying the boat will be on the trailer when you board?

If so, where will you be boarding? At a public boat launch?

The reason I ask is that it sounds like you live on a canal that runs into the lake. I don't know if you have a private ramp that launches into the canal or if you have to drive to a launch.

Would a set of steps with a handrail be navigable in your present condition? Say something with a small platform at the top that was the same height as the gunnel? If so, how high is the gunnel?

How much help do you have? Do you pull your boat with a truck? What I'm thinking is that if this is happening in your yard and you have someone launch you, then a set of wooden steps with a platform might work. But if you have to transport the boarding device to a ramp, it would have to be aluminum so it could be loaded and unloaded as easily as possible.

Can you give us a clearer picture of your overall situation? Might be able to help.
Tigerhead52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
BobBobber
BobBobber

BobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to PirateBobBobber has been promoted to Pirate
BobBobber,

I want to make sure I understand the situation. Are you saying the boat will be on the trailer when you board?

YES

If so, where will you be boarding? At a public boat launch?

HOME AND LAUNCH

The reason I ask is that it sounds like you live on a canal that runs into the lake. I don't know if you have a private ramp that launches into the canal or if you have to drive to a launch.

LAKE LEVEL LOW & CANAL TOO SHALLOW FOR BOATING NOW

Would a set of steps with a handrail be navigable in your present condition? Say something with a small platform at the top that was the same height as the gunnel? If so, how high is the gunnel?

WE LIVE IN RV PARK. WOODEN PORCH WITH 5 STEPS TO GROUND FROM OUR 5TH WHEEL. I CAN HANDLE STEPS AND HAND RAIL TO GO UP AND DOWN.

How much help do you have?
MY WIFE. BUT WANT TO BE INDEPENDENT.

Do you pull your boat with a truck?
FORD 350 PU

What I'm thinking is that if this is happening in your yard and you have someone launch you, then a set of wooden steps with a platform might work. But if you have to transport the boarding device to a ramp, it would have to be aluminum so it could be loaded and unloaded as easily as possible.

ALUMINUM BEST, YES.

Can you give us a clearer picture of your overall situation? Might be able to help.

SURGERIES AND MONTHS OF HOSPITAL INACTIVITY SAPPED MY STRENGTH. WOUNDS FINALLY HEALED/CLOSED UP. I WALK W/ WALKER OR HOLDING ONTO SOMETHING ANCHORED TO FLOOR. HOPE TO TOSS AWAY WALKER WHEN STRENGTH BETTER. MY WIFE AND I BOTH HAVE ARTHRITIS AND "OLDSTERITIS." Many handholds added to boat interior. Pedestal seating higher than most boats. Center console has grab bar. Sturdy aluminum bars to assist stepping on/off fore and aft decks.

Saw one lift device on YouTube. Sent email for info. Waiting for reply from company.

Thanks for responding!!!

Multiple surgeries and recovery, because surgeon screwed up. Nicked an artery. Vascular surgery team then saved my life, but carved heck of a hole to access my plumbing. Surgery predicted to be 1-1/2 day in hospital became nearly 9 months healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
BobBobber
BobBobber

YouTube link

Here's link to one device I mentioned in my reply. Hope it's not too expensive. Note how it attaches to trailer. Looks like fairly simple job to weld receptors onto trailer frame. Better yet, bolting would be best, because trailer would be difficult to weld onto if aluminum. Mine is galvanized hot-dip steel.

Last edited by BobBobber; 06-07-2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Tigerhead52
Registered Users-pm+

Tigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to PirateTigerhead52 has been promoted to Pirate
He didn't mention anything about welding that I picked up on. But he did say in most cases you don't have to drill any holes that would cause rust problems on your trailer. My guess would be that the receiver u-bolts to the trailer. Even if you did have to drill holes, if you only launch into freshwater, a little ZRC should prevent any serious rust problem.

I hope the lift is your answer and isn't cost prohibitive. Think it through before purchasing. When you say that your wife helps but you would like to be independent, I'm assuming you mean you would like to be able to manage without your wife's help. The only way I see this device making that possible is if the device is actually mounted in the boat. That way you can launch the boat and then use the device to board the boat from the dock. He makes it sound like that may be possible, depending on the boat. It's a big hill to climb without help. My heart goes out to you. Keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
BobBobber
BobBobber

Boat trailer retrieval

Here is what we came up with making boat trailer easier for my wife. I did the video. My wife is the star.

Last edited by BobBobber; 06-08-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
Tigerhead52
Registered Users-pm+

She's not just "the star", she's a treasure! You won the lottery when you found her Bob. Good wife, good life!

I'm 10 years younger than you but I'm already experiencing the limits that aging puts on us. I often fish alone (my wife wouldn't be caught dead fishing). Last year I had to build a ladder that mounts on the tongue of my trailer so I could climb down over the bow when I pull the boat onto my trailer. I use to be spry enough to use the spare tire holder and whatever to get down. But that got way too risky.

I'm a little more than an hour from Willis, but if you decide to buy that lift and need help mounting it on your trailer or whatever, I will gladly make the drive to Willis to help. Again, keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
BobBobber
BobBobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerhead52 View Post
She's not just "the star", she's a treasure! You won the lottery when you found her Bob. Good wife, good life!

She's a fabulous cook too and loves to fish. Had it not been for her, at age 78, I was ready to cash in my chips when facing all the pain and doctoring.

Quote:
I'm a little more than an hour from Willis, but if you decide to buy that lift and need help mounting it on your trailer or whatever, I will gladly make the drive to Willis to help. Again, keep us posted.

DEAL! THANKS!
Old 06-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
BobBobber
BobBobber

Cost is expensive!

Finally spoke to the company today. Cost for boat trailer lift device we saw on YouTube is $6,900 . . . with 8 to 10 week delivery. HOLY SMOKES!

Too expensive for me. Wonder if I could arrange a GoFundMe campaign. I have seen lots of things paid for by that which amazed me.

Might be able to jerryrig homebuilt with power source plug into trailer power and lift device motor from China-boy source like boat trailer winch. Lot of design work for somebody skilled.

Last edited by BobBobber; 06-09-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
BobBobber
BobBobber

electric winch

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7535_200737535

Possibility?

Last edited by BobBobber; 06-09-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add