2020 Garden Produce Storage Thread - Page 6 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #51
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Those look yummy. Gonna have to fix me some now.

How long did you boil in the water bath? Less than 12 minutes?
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #52
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I did about 13-14 minutes, not so intentionally, but more about getting my canning act together being new to this.

The peppers aren’t soft or mushy at all, though, they have a great texture. Very pleased with the flavor and texture. My wife likes them very much and she’d let me know if they weren’t any good, that’s a certainty.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #53
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
They will get better tasting also for the next 4 weeks as those spices all get absorbed in the peppers. Glad you all liked them...we never buy the store ones anymore.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #54
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Final potato dig

With the forecast calling for big rains in my area, it was time to get the new potatoes out of the ground. Hot weather + heavy rains = rotten potatoes.

The final tally came in at a whopping 228 pounds as measured on certified scales. That came from 20 pounds of non chited seed potatoes planted Feb. 14.
That is a production ratio of about 11.4 which is outstanding in my book....and a real challenge at food storage.

The row has already been disked up and planted in purple hulls which will be there the rest of the summer acting as a cover crop and soil builder.

Next years' potatoes and onion rows are already a "work in progress" as shown in the last photo...covered in N2 fixing legumes until fall and then covered again until the next onion and potato planting.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #55
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Dill Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Tried my half sour pickles, not all that great, something is off, back to the drawing board.
This looked like a good recipe to try for dill pickles: "Grandmas Dill Pickles". Recommended by a friend and available onine.

It will take a few weeks to find out the true taste but they look ok going in.

My goodness but this must be the year of cucumber. They are producing like crazy.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #56
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Bingo Beans

After experimenting last year with these big, creamy, red streaked beans, they graduated past experimental to production this year. So easy to pick since its a climber and also easy to shell with the large sized pods.

The taste is delicious as a main dish or in soups and Italian recipes. Rather than let them completely dry for storage , pick them while still streaked with color and freeze them. This way the tremendous flavor is retained and the cooking time cut in about half from a dried bean. I get my seeds from Territorial Seeds and the Bingo is now a regular in my garden.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #57
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Those beans look good. I’ve frozen about a pound of Christmas Lima beans. Haven’t eaten any yet, want to get some more then cook them. Still a ton out in the garden. I want them just like the bingo beans above, not all the way dry, but colored up, mostly mature. A lot are in the filling out the pods stage, others still in the pod growing stage. Some flowering continues to happen as well.

Decided to pickle some green tomatoes. My dad remembers getting pickled green tomatoes as a teenager when he deckhand on the Weingarten family yacht. Knocked off a couple of large green tomatoes by accident so I went ahead and got a couple more to make 2 different recipes. One spicy, the other garlicky dill. Recipes on gardenbetty.com. Used the grape and cherry types to fill in the voids.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #58
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Interesting...did you put any peppers in with the greenies?
Old 06-03-2020, 07:33 PM   #59
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Interesting...did you put any peppers in with the greenies?
I started to, but the recipe called for red pepper flakes along with mustard seed so I used those.

Gardenbetty has 4 recipes, a “standard” pickling brine, a Curry type, and the two I used. I had the ingredients for the two.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #60
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

Last Sunday, I started these peppers in a ferment. Today, they smelled so very good I decided to make the sauce.

Those two jars of peppers end up making about 15 ounces of sauce. Hit 4.0 on the Ph meter, lactic acid created from the lactobacillus activity acidifies the 5% brine, so I didn’t have to add any vinegar or heat it up to kill the good bacteria, just bottled and put in fridge. Should continue to develop flavor in the fridge, albeit a lot slower.

Really loving the briny, yummy flavor. Fermented garlic along with coriander and cumin seed in with the peppers. Great heat and just a nice, rich funkiness from the fermentation. Would be great in a bloody mary or to spice up some mexican food. Blender broke down all the contents and then put that through a food mill to separate solids and seeds. Added enough brine back to make it liquid enough for the sauce bottle.

Good have a successful fermentation after the cucumber fermentation failed.