litest blank - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Rod building forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
teamfirstcast
Registered Users-pm+

teamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirate
I always look for blanks that are as close to 1 oz as you can get being approx 6'6" and suited for our inshore fishing style. the St. Croix SCV is very light and strong, there are some Castaway blanks in that range, the top of the line Rainshadow Eternity series, as well as most all the Laguna blanks. The Laguna blanks in that size are right at 1 oz, very strong and have a nice fast action. To keep the build light, use titanium guides, smaller sizes like 8 and under, minimal guide wraps size A thread, thin epoxy, no big deco wraps, carbon fiber split grips - length balance about 7". finished weight s/b under 2-1/2 oz . Lightest Laguna Ive seen was 1.7 oz with label and recoil guides.
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #12
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfirstcast View Post
I always look for blanks that are as close to 1 oz as you can get being approx 6'6" and suited for our inshore fishing style. the St. Croix SCV is very light and strong, there are some Castaway blanks in that range, the top of the line Rainshadow Eternity series, as well as most all the Laguna blanks. The Laguna blanks in that size are right at 1 oz, very strong and have a nice fast action. To keep the build light, use titanium guides, smaller sizes like 8 and under, minimal guide wraps size A thread, thin epoxy, no big deco wraps, carbon fiber split grips - length balance about 7". finished weight s/b under 2-1/2 oz . Lightest Laguna Ive seen was 1.7 oz with label and recoil guides.
what's something like that run??
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
CroakerJO
Registered Users-pm+

CroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to PirateCroakerJO has been promoted to Pirate
The lightest components are generally the most expensive due to the materials used to make them. High-modulus carbon fiber and titanium are the two starters for a very light rod and both are "the most" expensive components out there compared to everything else.
CroakerJO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #14
spoonplugger1
Registered Users-pm+

spoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerspoonplugger1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Titanium guides aren't the lightest guides, some of the smaller stainless guides are as light, or lighter and a bunch cheaper, well under a buck a piece. The question is simply will your build allow them to be used. There is only one rule that is consistent, build your rod with the lightest and least amount components to get the lightest, best balanced rod. Lighter powered and shorter blanks are always lighter, and better balanced, nothing is lighter, or cheaper than what doesn't exist. What is the bare minimum that will do the job?
spoonplugger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #15
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Keep in mind that other trade-off.

The lighter the blank, the thinner the wall thickness and more prone to shatter if you load it up, especially after you even tap it against a sharp surface.

High modulus doesn't equate to high toughness. Besides, I'd rather shatter a $50 AllStar than a $300 ___________(fill in the blank), even if the AllStar is a little heavier.

Just for a reference, I imported 4 piece fly rod blanks from Korea, 7' x 4 weight, and the blanks weighed 0.8 oz. They made a real sweet 4PC, 4WT fly rod, but I wouldn't want to build a flounder rod out of them. Maybe a back deck croaker rod...

My 9' 5WT 4 piece blanks weighed 1.6 Oz made from 43 million modulus graphite and 1.5 Oz made from 51 million modulus. Were they worth the extra money for 1/10 Oz? I wouldn't have paid it, but some customers were happy to. To each his own.

Last edited by impulse; 05-06-2020 at 12:55 PM.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
jpayne
Registered Users-pm+

jpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Piratejpayne has been promoted to Pirate
Laguna sells 6.6ft blanks and they weigh 1oz flat
jpayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Ltrichel
Registered Users-pm+

Ltrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to Pirate
Where do you get the Laguna blanks. I just retired and am getting back in the game. My last build over 20 years ago was fenwick glass blanks, so I have a lot of catching up and this forum is a great place to do it.
Ltrichel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #18
trevore
Registered Users-pm+

trevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Piratetrevore has been promoted to Pirate
Laguna Custom Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltrichel View Post
Where do you get the Laguna blanks. I just retired and am getting back in the game. My last build over 20 years ago was fenwick glass blanks, so I have a lot of catching up and this forum is a great place to do it.

Call Laguna directly. They will sell you a blank.
trevore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #19
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
litest blank

I recommend to pick an experienced rod builder before you buy the rod blank and the components and talk with them about what you want and how you fish. I have learned that what looks good individually, may disappoint you when it all comes together.

Long ago, I wanted to build the ultimate rod. Picked out a special blank first. Then the special eyes and finally the split grip handle. Then I let a builder put it together and the end result was a light rod that feels very tip heavy.

I learned a lesson from that exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2020, 01:04 AM   #20
teamfirstcast
Registered Users-pm+

teamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirate
lets get techinical if you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonplugger1 View Post
Titanium guides aren't the lightest guides, some of the smaller stainless guides are as light, or lighter and a bunch cheaper, well under a buck a piece. The question is simply will your build allow them to be used. There is only one rule that is consistent, build your rod with the lightest and least amount components to get the lightest, best balanced rod. Lighter powered and shorter blanks are always lighter, and better balanced, nothing is lighter, or cheaper than what doesn't exist. What is the bare minimum that will do the job?

Titanium is lighter and stronger than any stainless steel used to make guides, its just a matter of physics. Are there some SS guides lighter than some titanium guides? Of course but they arent the same size or style... a #12 titanium stripper guide will def be heavier than a SS #4 single foot guide, and yes SS is cheaper, but thats not the point of my earlier post.

"... nothing is lighter, or cheaper than what doesn't exist." no argument there, but you wont catch many fish with it.
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message