2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What would you have done with the cats?

Mocassin after cats

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BobBobber 
#1 ·
We a stringer of four cats onto our dock steps. Bit later, a moccasin had one firmly in its jaws. We figured it'd also bit the cat with poison fangs.

Our dilemma: Would poison be in one of the cats? And which one if the moccasin let the cat go?

We chose to let all the cats go.

Also, snake was gone when we came back with .22 rifle to kill it.

What would you have done? Eat the cats or let them go?

#8 ·
Looked like mocassin we beat to a pulp last week. Color and markings identical. That one was coiled up in our boat beneath a folding step stool. Pays to check the boat before boarding.
Also, we put the boat back on the boat trailer. We won't dock it here overnight again.

Saw 3 more sunning themselves on branches as we motored out of the canal. Strip of land on other side of canal is uninhabited, at least of humans.

Today, one cat was gone (no longer on the stringer); another was partially eaten; and the two left were dead. Normally, they will live on the stringer for a day or so until we have enough more to bother cleaning.

#9 ·
Coiled up in the boat@#$#$ - Alright I'm out of here! Time to sell the place.

Just curious, I checked pictures on line. Sure look the same to me. Grew up on a canal fishing and wasn't till I was older and seeing so many could I tell them apart.

Good luck with the snakes. Think I would rather spiders.

#10 ·
New to me. Transplant here from Michigan 7 years or more ago. We only had one Michigan snake with fangs. Big ones were 3' and they lived in isolated pine forests way up north. Fished entire Michigan for 40+ years and never saw one.

Lived in Corpus and Rockport for 3 years before moving to Willis. Not many snakes of any kind seen around Gulf saltwater when we were there.

However, now we live on Lake Conroe and many Natural born Texans here can I.D. snakes pretty good. Guess I'm taking their word for it. They did show us water snakes, and we leave them alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.