Vacation Rental Investment - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Investments and finance
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
TxChamp08
Registered Users-pm+

TxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to PirateTxChamp08 has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4 Vacation Rental Investment

I have been looking into purchasing a 2b/2b home in Rockport to use as a vacation rental investment. This is my first go at this so any/all information is appreciated.

I know there are a ton of variables but if you have knowledge/insight on the vacation rental game I would love to hear it.

Not expecting to get rich, just wondering if there is money to be made or should I just look into investing in stocks/bonds with the same money...

Thanks 2cool
TxChamp08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Lots of write offs with rental property. Coastal upkeep is greater than inland, salt air is tough on stuff. IME, unless you can build a year round clientele and rent 180+ days/year it is about break even. Even then, net/net hard to do better than about 5% ROI/year. And don't expect that you can sneak in much free "personal use" as this is a big red flag for the IRS. Best bet is to put it on VRBO or other medium as available full time.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
al_carl
Registered Users-pm+

al_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
And don't expect that you can sneak in much free "personal use" as this is a big red flag for the IRS.
This should only be an issue if it's owned through a self directed IRA. If it's just property you own and rent out then the IRS doesn't care if you use it personally but you could have trouble claiming the tax write-offs.
al_carl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Haynie21T
Registered Users-pm+

Haynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to PirateHaynie21T has been promoted to Pirate
Be sure and check out the HOA restrictions on where you are buying. Ours in Rockport doesn’t allow for rentals less than six months.
Haynie21T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
hooknbullet2
Registered Users-pm+

hooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Pirate
Best case scenario, it pays for itself.
hooknbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
I did it for a while ... short term is long term headache ... now I do unfurnished long term only ... better returns year over year and fewer headaches ...

Last edited by acoastalbender; 06-23-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: sp
acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
MikeV
Registered Users-pm+

MikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to PirateMikeV has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_carl View Post
This should only be an issue if it's owned through a self directed IRA. If it's just property you own and rent out then the IRS doesn't care if you use it personally but you could have trouble claiming the tax write-offs.
Yes, depending on the number of days of personal use versus the number of days it is rented, you can wind up getting to deduct only enough of the expenses to offset the income but do not get to deduct any loss on the rental.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
rcw
Registered Users-pm+

rcw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Piratercw has been promoted to Pirate
You can make more money doing short term rentals if the HOA allows it but you will have many more problems.

You will make less money doing long term rentals but have fewer problems to deal with as others have said.

You can't deduct rental property losses from your personal income unless you do real estate full time. We only dabble in real estate so the IRS considers it passive income and will not allows us to deduct any losses from our "real" jobs.

We've owned a 2B/2B on the water for 5 years and have done good to break even with a 40% down payment. "Special Assessments" or a new AC will erase most of your gains annually so make sure it's in a good location that will appreciate. This is a long term plan for us so we expect to use it once it is payed off.
rcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw View Post
You can make more money doing short term rentals if the HOA allows it but you will have many more problems.

You will make less money doing long term rentals but have fewer problems to deal with as others have said.

We've owned a 2B/2B on the water for 5 years and have done good to break even with a 40% down payment. "Special Assessments" or a new AC will erase most of your gains annually so make sure it's in a good location that will appreciate. This is a long term plan for us so we expect to use it once it is payed off.

I'm just a regular retired guy that has done short term for 4 years and long term for 4 years ... importantly the properties are located not far from each other so the comparison is apples to apples ... year over year the short term made less than 1% net greater returns than long term ... so far. The LT I pay taxes and insurance and repairs over $40 ... it is a 3/2/2 ... at purchase I did some repairs/upgrades amounting to $8K +- that should last 8-10 years (I do thorough BC's on all my renters) ... it's easy mailbox money (in the lease the renters are responsible for yard upkeep) ... I don't know where to start on the ST unit ... this one required a lot of involvement even though I had a rental management co. 'working' for me ... they are best at separating property owners from profits ... between their 'cut' of the rent and cleaning/ repairs and clerical 'work' they often made more than me and they get paid 1st ... then there are the utilities ... phone (emergencies I was told) and electricity and city water and of course cable ... all billed to you to add to the homeowners insurance that the HOA doesn't cover with the yearly $100/month increases to cover the yearly increases in taxes and TWIA/flood ins. Short term was one of the biggest headaches I've ever volunteered for and as good as $250-$300 a night looks, that only happens in high season which is just over 3 months a year ... fall bookings may end up being 1 or 2 weekends a month which puts you under for those months but the bills keep coming every month ... something not often mentioned is the return down the road when selling ... ST rental will be a lot more 'used' unless you've been sinking $ into it ... my LT'er is out appreciating the ST'er by about 5% a year, and that's worth consideration ... the only way to do short term in my opinion is first and foremost ... be young and able to work without a management company ... book/vet on your own ... repair on your own ... put profits into the bank note and pay off in 7 years at which time you'll be older and wiser and have long term properties ...

acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
I have looked into it several times and always opted against it. Not that you can't make money, it just was not for me.

A common theme here is you are lucky to break even. Which is not a bad thing considering renters are paying for your home and you will own it outright at some point. Plus appreciation.

I just always concluded that strictly as an investment… There we're better opportunities out there with higher upside and less hassles.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message