Basis question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Investments and finance
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
meross
Registered Users-pm+

meross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Basis question

BACK in 2000 I purchased some Van Kampen Prime Rate Income Trust Fund Stock. Last year I cashed it in. I can not find any record of what I
I paid for it in 2000 and Pershing says they only keep those records for 6 years.
With out a basis the IRS wants to tax all of the proceeds.

How can I find historical data on this stock or is there an acceptable way to estimate the cost?
meross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by meross View Post
BACK in 2000 I purchased some Van Kampen Prime Rate Income Trust Fund Stock. Last year I cashed it in. I can not find any record of what I
I paid for it in 2000 and Pershing says they only keep those records for 6 years.

How can I find historical data on this stock or is there an acceptable way to estimate the cost?
If you know the date you purchased it you should be able to estimate your cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Kampen_Investments

Check with Morgan Stanley

Last edited by fishingcacher; 03-10-2018 at 11:30 AM.
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
LaddH
Registered Users-pm+

LaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by meross View Post

Type in the symbol.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MSFT/history?p=MSFT
LaddH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
meross
Registered Users-pm+

meross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateermeross has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Basis

LaddH Thanks for your help, I looked on the site you posted but I didnt find what is was looking for. My purchase was Oct 1999 and the symbols are ACEIX XRPTX AND MITTX. Thanks again
Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
LaddH
Registered Users-pm+

LaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to Pirate
Try this site .

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...ttx/historical
LaddH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/XPRTX?p=XPRTX Go to max. It looks like is was 9.35-9.20 n October so 9.22 might be a fair number to use.

Next link takes awhile to load but it is for the month of Oct 2000. BTW there was a settlement class action for overstating the calue of the fund.

Abrams vs. Van Kampen. It is probably too late to file for a par t of the settlement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/chart/XPRTX...YXJ0In19fX0%3D

Last edited by fishingcacher; 03-12-2018 at 02:00 PM.
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
meross
Registered Users-pm+

thanks for your help..
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
monark
Registered Users-pm+

monark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Piratemonark has been promoted to Pirate
If you did dividends reinvested, your cost basis will not be the original price. You have probably been paying taxes already on the reinvested part. Don't pay the IRS twice. Do you keep old tax returns? Info may be there.
monark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message