Pointers for catching Trout in the surf? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Drewtk
Registered Users-pm+

Drewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to GunnerDrewtk has been promote to Gunner
Dawn patrol. Get there early - I like to be on the water 30 minutes before sunrise. It won't be pitch black because there's enough light to see before the sun actually comes over the horizon. I've had the best luck catching from right at sunrise until around an hour after that. The trout I catch seem to get smaller and harder to come by later in the morning.

That's just my experience.
Drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
i fished for a few hours the other evening at bolivar pocket. Water weas dirty but it wa the only chance I had. I had four Small black tips jump and spin about 4 ft out of the water around me. Them croaker wont last long probably with these guys around.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
SurfRunner
Registered Users-pm+

SurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to PirateSurfRunner has been promoted to Pirate
When conditions are right and they are biting, shouildn't be a problem catching them. Getting there early gives me a lot of confidence, but I have had some fantastic catches anytime during the day. I caught a limit of trout a couple of weeks ago and people were giving it up and leaving about the time I started catching them - I have experienced this several times. Sometimes, They simply don't start to bite until later. Just be persistant and grind it out when conditions are right and 9 times out of 10, you will eventually catch some.
SurfRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Spectre5922
2COOL- My home away from fish...

Spectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to Pirate
I was in Bolivar all last week on vacation and hit the surf the first morning I was there. I was throwing a bone spook jr and I got a HUGE blow up on the second cast! It was a nice little 24" spec (Of course I caught mostly sharks that day). It was around 7:00. I was waste deep in the surf casting into the waves. That was my only trout, but I think if I had gotten out there earlier, I might have had better luck. The black tips didn't care though. I caught them and bonnet heads all week.
Spectre5922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
PutTheForearmOn_em!!
Grip and Rip baby!!!!

PutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to Pirate
The last two times I went I caught a limit and the second time 5 trout including a 26 1/2" trout. That day my first bite didn't come until 1130.... 5 in the box in 45 min. All over 22"
PutTheForearmOn_em!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
monkeyman1
Winter Hater

monkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Piratemonkeyman1 has been promoted to Pirate
You have a lot of good advise already. But just know that you won't catch trout every day you go at he time you go. Sometimes they're further out or just ave lock jaw. Fishing the morning after a bright moon is iffy...they may have eaten all night.

It's a tough choice to pack up and head for the surf sometimes. Been there, done it. You just have to choose the most optimum days and times that fits your schedule, which may o may not be the same schedule as when they're biting.

But surf fishing has always been my favorite method of fishing...and I have a boat.
monkeyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Cork & Jig
Registered Users-pm+

Cork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
Surf fishing for trout is usually best the first couple of days of green water. After a few days the action usually diminishes.
It didn't use to be that way.

Now, too many ignorant people run their boats down the beach, right next to the first bar. This drives the fish out of the first gut where they normally like to hang out.

And, you do not need to run your boat that close to "see" bait, ether. I've had countless of great trips where there was little or no "visible" bait. I'm talking about catching fish for hours, literally every cast, too.

The main thing to concentrate on is structure. You're looking for anything different than monotonous parallel running bars and guts. These are visible from way off the beach by watching the breaking waves. They will give away the location of good structure.

Visible bait is a secondary consideration to structure because good structure will almost always hold bait. This bait doesn't have to be visible cruising around, either. Sometimes they stay down, away from the surface. That's why I stress you don't have to actually see the bait while cruising in your boat, close to shore.

Too many people think this is the best way to find trout and it's not. What it is is the best way to run them off. That's why, when the "word" gets out, it only takes a few days before they "disappear".

Things would be better for everyone if they'd follow the "old" unwritten rule of running deep and fishing shallow. Unfortunately, though, through the years, this common sense approach to fishing has mostly been forgotten.

Last edited by Cork & Jig; 06-13-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Cork & Jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message