Pointers for catching Trout in the surf? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
jefferymac
Registered Users-pm+

jefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Pointers for catching Trout in the surf?

I'm new to fishing in the surf, and I haven't been very successful my first few times out. I was on Bolivar yesterday (the north end of the peninsula close to High Island) and only managed to pull a single Croaker out of the water from about 7:30 to 11:00. I read a couple of reports online that indicated it was *on* all day a lot of spots.

Anyway, any pointers y'all can share for catching Trout in the surf? Locations or times? Yesterday I tried throwing tops (top dog and popa dog), gulp minnows and some soft plastic shrimp. I had a few hits here and there but nothing came home in the ice chest.
jefferymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
hunterjck
Registered Users-pm+

hunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Pirate
I've had decent luck throwing a silver spoon (Mr. Champ) as far out as I can, letting it sink to the floor and dragging it back in slowly. Those big yellow mouthed trout will scoop that spoon right off the bottom.
hunterjck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
scrambler
Registered Users-pm+

scrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Pirate
Try to locate schools of bait. Active bait is more likely to mean trout. Come armed with multiple baits and try them. Sometimes they hit on top(especially early) and sometimes they want soft plastics, spoons etc. Sometimes they only want live bait, especially in late summer when the water gets really warm. If you are catching a lot of undersize trout use a larger lure like a mirrorlure as you can't catch keepers if you spend all your time reeling in small fish. Surf fishing for trout is usually best the first couple of days of green water. After a few days the action usually diminishes.

And sometimes I try all of the above and strike out and can't figure out why.

I've caught good trout in the area you were fishing but somtimes the water is better in some areas than others. If you aren't catching fish you should drive the beach and look for pockets of clearer water or bait. You should also try the bolivar pocket. It is fishable if the surf is marginal or not trout water. I've had my best luck in the pocket from now until the end of June. I usually use a do-nut basket instead of a stringer as sharks are bad at times in the pocket and I lost a lot of fish from my stringer before switching to a do-nut.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
iridered2003
RIDE RED,HONDA!

iridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirateiridered2003 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjck View Post
I've had decent luck throwing a silver spoon (Mr. Champ) as far out as I can, letting it sink to the floor and dragging it back in slowly. Those big yellow mouthed trout will scoop that spoon right off the bottom.
i throw alot of silver spoons, johnson sprite in 3/4 oz. trout seem to like them. ive killed the redfish on them in the bays
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
jefferymac
Registered Users-pm+

jefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjefferymac has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm gonna pack some spoons on the next trip. I have not tried the Bolivar pocket yet, maybe that's my next stop.
jefferymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
raiderfish
Registered Users-pm+

raiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirateraiderfish has been promoted to Pirate
#1 rule: if the water is not clean and green, you wont have much luck at all with trout. Better to chunk some bait on the bottom and catch reds and sharks. However if the water is nice: in the very first light of mornings fish the first little wade gut in the calf deep water. After that go fish on the 1st bar in knee deep water and fish the edges of the bars. Usually you will cast into the deeper guts, and the trout will hit as you get close to the edge of the bar. The trout cruise along these bars ambushing baitfish.
raiderfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
surfguy
Sum Beach

surfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Piratesurfguy has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Great Tips !! Looking at the surfcams and weather forecast, tomorrow may be close to good trout conditions. I may free line some croaker with rattle weights if I can find some at the bait shop. It's been scare lately. I will be out there at sunrise. If no trout, plan B is Whiting, Reds & Sharks.
surfguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
PutTheForearmOn_em!!
Grip and Rip baby!!!!

PutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to Pirate
Talking

Make sure the weather conditions are right to have minimal swells and wind. Also pay great attention to water clarity... I usually fish right on the color change.... throw out into the blue and haul my bait in towards the chocolate. (Usually a bite somewhere between everytime.) Another hint of advice.... Get some LIVE CROAKER and freeline them!!! <--- LOL, yes I said it.... if I start a war so be it, sorry guys... but it just WORKS IN THE SURF GREAT!!!
PutTheForearmOn_em!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Pelicans work better than pointers for catching trout in the surf...
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
PutTheForearmOn_em!!
Grip and Rip baby!!!!

PutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to PiratePutTheForearmOn_em!! has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Pursuit View Post
Pelicans work better than pointers for catching trout in the surf...
Lol true that ^ always a plus!!!!
PutTheForearmOn_em!! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message