Surf Casting Reel Advice Penn 309M or Jigmaster 500L - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
BigArt
Registered Users-pm+

BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)BigArt has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Surf reel

In my opinion the 40 or 50 daiwa sealine cant be beat for surf fishing . They offer a fast gear ratio and large capacity of line and are just smooth reels . I would try to stay away from level wind reels for the beach . As for price they usually run around $130 but you can find some really clean* cheap* reels on ebay . I use a 50 daiwa offshore and have landed large AJ's,Snapper, Shark,cudas etc. They are in my opinion the best for the price !
BigArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
FishAddictEJ
Registered Users-pm+

FishAddictEJ is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I uas the jigmaster on a 8ft ugly stick and it can cast perty far.
FishAddictEJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
C-Rob
Registered Users-pm+

C-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to PirateC-Rob has been promoted to Pirate
From the initial list that you gave:

Jigmaster, they are easy to maintain and there is very little to fail.

If you do some ebay shopping and decide to stick with older Penn reel:

-Jigmaster 500--there are some older ones with stainless spools that are very affordable

-Jigmaster 505hs--same as the 500 but w/ higher gear ratio and ball-bearings

-Squidder 140--same as above but smaller and slower ratio (essentially)
C-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
pg542
Texas Rod Builders

pg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Pirate
If you can find one, the old Penn magpower 990 (or 980) is IMO one of the finest surfchunkers ever built.....I still use mine and most likely would never part with them. You can still see'em once in a while on Ebay.,,,,, But out of your list ,,yeah the JM is my choice too.
pg542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
troutless
Registered Users-pm+

troutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Piratetroutless has been promoted to Pirate
I would go with a Diawa 's sealine 50. You can go to Charkbait. Com. The price is $109.00, plus they will pay shipping. They cast awesome.
troutless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
scrambler
Registered Users-pm+

scrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Pirate
I started off fishing with jigmasters and they are a great basic workhorse reel. I have also used squidders but with the lower line capacity and very low gear ratio, the jigmaster is a much better choice.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Dennis M
Registered Users-pm+

Dennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of RiggerDennis M has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I got the jigmaster slammer combo for $122. Havent fished with yet except taking it to the catfish hole while my buddy and my bro set up trotlines. I can cast it 50 yards no problem. Casted a little farther with the spool tension loosened a little and the drag about halfway. Done good a couple times but I keep ratnesting for the most part. First baitcast I've owned so I'll get it down. Other than that I like what I payed for.
Dennis M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
ssmarinaman
I fish so there for I am

ssmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Piratessmarinaman has been promoted to Pirate
IMHO.. Jigmaster, and if you can find HS (high speed) even better..I have been use jigmasters surf fishing most of my life, I have a few 30 plus years old and a few just a two years old,, they cast the same and perform the same, the only way you can tell them apart is the handle, they are work horses and will last a life time, ( reels are only as good as the owner taken can of them) I have mine on uglys and american rod smith, all 10 footer stiffy. also. if you mag them it will help with casting. I'm just saying..
ssmarinaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message