RC Boat to run lines in the Surf - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #21
MoneyAg
Registered Users-pm+

MoneyAg is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Can't wait to see the updates. Deployment could be as simple as installing a downrigger clip and giving the line a yank depending on bait and weight size.
That's what I was thinking. Make it a manual release.
MoneyAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
Sea-Slug
Registered Users-pm+

Sea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to PirateSea-Slug has been promoted to Pirate
About 15 years ago Shane Davies used to run baits with a RC boat from the no tresspassing cable below Possum Kingdom Dam right up to the wall. It was about 150 yards or maybe 200. He had some kind of a jerk release system on the RC boat. He was trying to beat the state freshwater striper record. He caught several over 35# in a 2 year period and finally nailed The apparent State Record at 52#. He was usually using freshwater drum 1 to 2# in size as bait. But TPW disqualified his 52# when they found a rainbow trout in its stomach and jailed him for using illegal baits. He was a heck of a fisherman but I guess he got overzelous in his quest for the record. Im not sure if it is true but I heard TPW will not let anyone run baits to the wall with remote control boats below PK anymore. The Golden Algea blooms on the upper Brazos the last 8 years killed most of the big stripers anyway. I saw his boat and it was smaller than yours and had a homemade clothespin looking latch on the back he jerked his mono leader out of after he got it up to the wall. That release system might not work in rough surf, it would come of on the way out I bet. Good luck on your project and keep us posted.
Sea-Slug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #23
marlin50lrs
Registered Users-pm+

marlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Piratemarlin50lrs has been promoted to Pirate
Either a downrigger clip or rubber band and put the reel in gear and keep driving the boat foward to release
marlin50lrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #24
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
There's several companies in China making RC boats to drop baits. They're too small for the surf, mostly being for the European carp fishing market. (Don't snicker, carp fishing is big money in Europe) I've been watching them every year at the big Beijing Fishing Show, but nothing has shown up yet even close to big enough for the surf.

If it were me, I'd have started with a cheap roto molded sit-in kayak and used a plastic welder to build a closable hatch where the cockpit is. But it wouldn't look anywhere near as cool as the aluminum beast, so I like yours better.

Out of curiosity, what's the absolute 100% reliable range of the RC controls? I'm thinking it would be affected by wave action and the fact that both you and the beast would be at sea level (and salt water conducts electricity???). I'd hate to see my $1000 prototype floating away because it lost communication. Perhaps augmenting the signal with a tall antenna would be wise? I'm no RC guy, just curious.

Keep posting back progress reports!
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #25
McBeast
My Water My Rules

McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)McBeast has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
It may not have enough power/mass to avoid getting pushed back onto the lines by the surf and getting wrapped up, probably wait for nice days.
McBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #26
johnmyjohn
Registered Users-pm+

johnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Pirate
I worked with an RC guy and I asked the distance thing. He said on a good RC controller with an airplane as far as you can see it.
As far as the amount of thrust, a standard trolling motor puts out 20-35 pds. Should be more than enough, most trolling motors are multi speed and the slide controller on the boat will probably cost some if you don't go one speed on and off.
johnmyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
Matteo
Banned

Matteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to PirateMatteo has been promoted to Pirate
You said that it was sitting low in the water for your preference.

You could get an old surfboard and cut a hole in it that will fit the hull of your boat. Then glue it in. That would look crazy but add stability and bouyancy. You might also want to fill in any un used areas with foam in case the aluminum hull gets a leak att some point. it would be a shame to sink that baby.
Matteo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
ujoint
Registered Users-pm+

ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint ujoint
I know you are not the first one to try this, there is a guy in winnie that did it several years ago. I thank he used down rigger release to hold the line, when you get where you want it just give it a good pop and it will release the bait.
ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
sharkbait-tx70
Registered Users-pm+

sharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Piratesharkbait-tx70 has been promoted to Pirate
I have done the airplane thing launching off the beach with a servo to release bait. It gets expensive fast. Servos dont like saltwater. the beach better be empty. Lines like to break and airplanes hard to control. To get the plane off the ground with extra weight you have to go w/o and line comes off the real so fast it makes a huge arch and it is almost impossable to control. We did make many good deployments though. There is a company in Australia That makes a rc boat for deploying baits in the surf. Dont remember the name or I would send a link.There was a guy in Corpus who bought one. They have to have a super strong motor like 3 hp to keep line streight in current and a super strong radio.
sharkbait-tx70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
rugger
Registered Users-pm+

rugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Piraterugger has been promoted to Pirate
What about attaching a rope to it so that when the boat gets as far as you want it you can just pull the rope/string and bring the boat back in without wasting any more power.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message