Jh outlaw , tran SVT shoalwater cat or haynie cat - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Captainkirk23
Registered Users-pm+

Captainkirk23 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Jh outlaw , tran SVT shoalwater cat or haynie cat

Getting ready to purchase a boat , trying to decide which one has the dryest and smoothest ride in chop. Mostly fish east matagorda bay so nothing to rough maybe 2 footers on a bad day. My question is does anybody have any experiences they'd like to share about any of the boats above ?
Captainkirk23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
WJB
Registered Users-pm+

WJB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkirk23 View Post
Getting ready to purchase a boat , trying to decide which one has the dryest and smoothest ride in chop. Mostly fish east matagorda bay so nothing to rough maybe 2 footers on a bad day. My question is does anybody have any experiences they'd like to share about any of the boats above ?
I just picked up my Outlaw 230 this past Friday. Had it out in East Matagorda Saturday and it handled the choppy water very well, rode dry, and I was happy with the way it performed. I had only been in one on a horrible (30mph wind) day in West Bay and one other time when it was calm.

I test drove the Tran Cat 24SVT on a day with a little chop. It seemed to be somewhat smoother than outlaw and it was was a dry ride as well.

I have not been in the other two boats mentioned. I would definitely take the time to ride in all four of your choices and then make your decision. It was a tough choice for me between the Tran and Outlaw, both are outstanding boats.
WJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Court
Registered Users-pm+

Court has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to PirateCourt has been promoted to Pirate
The family behind JH Boats are fantastic-That would be a huge advantage IMO-I believe all of the mentioned boats are well built & perform well.
Court is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
WJB
Registered Users-pm+

WJB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
The family behind JH Boats are fantastic-That would be a huge advantage IMO-I believe all of the mentioned boats are well built & perform well.
X 1. I forgot to mention the excellent service from John, Lindsey, and staff.
WJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
fido98
Registered Users-pm+

fido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a JH Outlaw over the ShoalCat 23 specifically because it rode better in chop and had much better handling. I also preferred the layout, but, that's more subjective. I had planned on testing the Tran, however, after I met with John at Sport Marine I put a deposit down the next day.
fido98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
98aggie77566
Stepped in what?

98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate98aggie77566 has been promoted to Pirate
Put me in the JH camp as well....had mine for about 4 months now and love it!

Rides well in a chop, considering it is a shallow water boat that is...certainly doesn't ride like a big V-hull....we are mostly in East Matagorda as well and it does really well for us.

Rides dry as well.....only spray (very minor) I have seen is in a following/quartering sea you get a touch of spray in the back of the boat.

Lots of room on the bow and stern, tons of storage......runs shallower than I want to go, but definitely not a speed boat (50mph is about it).

John/Lindsey and the gang have been awesome to deal with.....both before the sale, during the build, and post delivery.

Others you mentioned seem to be building a great boat as well...I don't have enough experience with them to speak positive/negative.....don't think you can go wrong with the Outlaw if that is the design you are looking for.
98aggie77566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
M&M
Registered Users-pm+

M&M is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I know it is a bit of a drive...but...as others will verify.
Do yourself a favor and go to Waypoint Marine and talk with Jared Poole about the Shoalwater. Best thing you can do!
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
fattyflattie
Registered Users-pm+

fattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Piratefattyflattie has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court View Post
Haynie and Tran are both great examples of customer service as well. I've done enough with all 3 to not hesitate with any of them. Cant speak to the shoalwater but people speak well about certain dealers, I just cant remember which ones.

What a problem to have!!
fattyflattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
jreynolds
Hangin at the Point

jreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Piratejreynolds has been promoted to Pirate
lump me in to the Tran crowd. I've had two Tran boats, the second being an SVT. While it's not the size you are looking at, it's still a dang fine boat. I keep doing business with the Tran family because of the outstanding product and also the customer service. Once you talk to Donny, TV or Frank, you'll know what I mean. They just treat you like family.
jreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
Texaspainter
Registered Users-pm+

Texaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to PirateTexaspainter has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreynolds View Post
lump me in to the Tran crowd. I've had two Tran boats, the second being an SVT. While it's not the size you are looking at, it's still a dang fine boat. I keep doing business with the Tran family because of the outstanding product and also the customer service. Once you talk to Donny, TV or Frank, you'll know what I mean. They just treat you like family.
I'll 2nd JR's comments.....
But will add that the SVT comes in an 18, 20, 22 & 24 Foot version, so you have lot's of options for size of boat.
Texaspainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message