How to use mullet in the surf - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
TxBrewer
Registered Users-pm+

TxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
Unfortunately, sizing is left up to the manufacture and they can call a certain hook any size they want. Even different styles of hooks made by the same manufacture can be different sizes. The good news is all the hooks will have a style# or reference # that people can go by. So, if I say I was using a 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle #208418, or a 11/0 Mustad demon perfect circle 1x wide gap #39948NP-BN, you can get the exact hook.
If I remember an earlier post you use Troker Lancet 9/0 hooks correct? Was going to make a few leaders for my trip in August and wanted to order the materials off Amazon to make in advance.
TxBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrewer View Post
If I remember an earlier post you use Troker Lancet 9/0 hooks correct? Was going to make a few leaders for my trip in August and wanted to order the materials off Amazon to make in advance.
I've used Troker hooks before. They are good hook's, but overpriced for my liking . I've used almost every brand and size made at on time or another. The one I probably use most this time of the year is a 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle ST#208418. They are cheep, sharp ,strong, and have a very good hook-up ratio. I've caught everything from 20" reds to 6' sharks on this hook.
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #23
eliris
Registered Users-pm+

eliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Riggereliris has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdee View Post
you can dump those eagle claws in the closest trash can.

and no there isn't a standardized size for hooks, its different for each brand/model of hook. ballpark figures so to say.
Why are the eagle claws not good? Any experience with eagle claw anybody?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
eliris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #24
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliris View Post
Why are the eagle claws not good? Any experience with eagle claw anybody?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I've had several of the Eagle Claw Sea Circles break in half, not bend or twist, but break clean in half. I don't know if I just got a bad batch or if they are all like that, so I quit using them. Hooks need to be hardened to make them strong and keep them sharp, but then they have to be tempered down to provided some flexibility so they won't break. I'm guessing the ones that broke on me weren't tempered down enough.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #25
Lagavulin62
Registered Users-pm+

Lagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to PirateLagavulin62 has been promoted to Pirate
I have everything except the leader wire. I ordered some AFW Surflon in 135#. But the diameter is too thin for the smallest sleeve I found. (1)

I checked everyplace in Woodlands area but nothing. What should I look for in particular? Since its suppossed to rain all weekend I am headed to FTU tomorrow. Thanks to all.
Lagavulin62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagavulin62 View Post
I have everything except the leader wire. I ordered some AFW Surflon in 135#. But the diameter is too thin for the smallest sleeve I found. (1)

I checked everyplace in Woodlands area but nothing. What should I look for in particular? Since its suppossed to rain all weekend I am headed to FTU tomorrow. Thanks to all.
This is what I use for 120# to 150# coated cable. You can order them online, but I usually get mine at Marburger's in Seabrook.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #27
Nutnhoney
Registered Users-pm+

Nutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to PirateNutnhoney has been promoted to Pirate
Mullet are a great bait and most things swimming will eat them. My fishn buddy and I call the little ones, finger size as most folks do, and the 6-8" ones Snicker Bars. In Receint years I stopped trying to cast big horse mullet and tend to use the head half or third. Lots of sent released from a head.
If you get a day where you can free line a snickers about two feet under a float, the action can be good. Cut off the pectoral fins for eradic action.
Sometimes the bottom is full of crabs & gaff top. While the sharks do feed the bottom they also search the entire water column. Tough to cast a float far and the current needs to be cooperative. Thanks Shark Chum for these posts that should be stickies.
Nutnhoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #28
JRATexas
Registered Users-pm+

JRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to Pirate
Live Mullet

Quote:
I rarely use finger mullet, but when I do I cut them to. If all I can catch is finger mullet, I will put 3 or 4 on a hook to make a bigger bait. Smaller baits just don't last long in the surf.
The great and powerful SharkcHum,

As yall know, I have really taken all that SC has offered and made a valiant effort to learn how to surf fish. In the past 2 months, I have been able to real in some monster bulls. This is kind of a question, but also a personal twist on how to hook mullet in the surf. My second Bull red (first caught on a mullet), happened after we had zero success soaking fresh cut mullet for an hour or two (I typically fish after my little one goes to sleep and stay out for around 4 hours so I can have energy to play with him the next day... unfortunately I wish I could soak longer and at different times but 9-1am is usually all I am alotted to fish). I took the cast net out and snagged a few fresh mullet and decided to do the following (a hybrid cut mullet if you will):

- selected about a 10+ inch mullet (was the only one larger than 5 inches)(I have used anything from 6 inch to 12 inch mullet this way and caught fish)
- took filet knife and cut all fins off leaving the tail
- Cut a small hole in front of the back bottom fin to bleed it a little
- Made sure it was still alive and kicking before launching it
**I have had these mullet stay alive for over an hour doing it this way. I cant believe how hardy those fish are...obviously some last longer than others but very few have died and I usually let them soak until have a strike or the anchor weight moves and I need to recast.

10 minutes later the reel was singing and we landed a 42 inch bull red. I was surprised how a red could take down such a large bait and then opened its mouth (realizing quickly that it could eat a way bigger mullet than what I had thrown). All the while, NOTHING had taken any of the cut mullet rods. Since then I have fished both live mullet 6-10 inches (prepped this way) and cut mullet (prepped like SC says in the post)/soaking both baits at same time on 4 rods (2&2). Over the past 3 times I have fished the only thing to take a rod with the cut mullet was a small shark and gaftop. all the reds we have caught were on injured live mullet.

Question: Is this just a coincidence or do you think the area I fish (Pirates Beach) just does not hold the same amount and type of fish you catch out there in Sargent? I have caught plenty of trout in the surf there but never a slot red. Obviously judging by your pics your method of cutting and baiting fresh mullet works, but it hasnt worked for me yet. I guess it kindof did since I used a hybrid method and still prep and hook the live mullet like you show.

Thanks again for all your knowledge SC!

In the event any of yall are having a hard time finding fish throw a live one out there and see what happens

Last edited by JRATexas; 07-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.
JRATexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #29
Walleyewilly
Registered Users-pm+

Walleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to PirateWalleyewilly has been promoted to Pirate
Also good to keep the whole mullet alive, make him a flapper (take a fillet out of him about midline to tail, but leave it intact), and use him alive out there. The flapper gives more action, releases blood and oil and his being alive, well...

Works best for larger drop baits. To keep it off the bottom (alive or dead) and keep some of the crabs off, tie a popping cork onto your bite leader a foot or two up from the bait. If it rattles, all the better...
Walleyewilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #30
TxBrewer
Registered Users-pm+

TxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I rarely use finger mullet, but when I do I cut them to. If all I can catch is finger mullet, I will put 3 or 4 on a hook to make a bigger bait. Smaller baits just don't last long in the surf.
I lived this during my trip this weekend, we could only catch finger mullet but forgot your post about putting 3 or 4 on till rereading this thread today. And bait was constantly disappearing.

we were only catching little black tips 28 - 32 inch and when they were biting it was actually tough to differentiate between the bites and wave action some times, sometimes it was very clear but lots of bait was lost without a sign of a bite. I thought you had recommended, maybe someone else, to set the drag tight enough to keep your line tight but loose enough to easily pull when something grabbed it. I tried this but it didn't seem to work, bait was gone and no reel spin and that line was very light drag set.

Not sure if I was doing something wrong or those little sharks don't have the pull to do it?

Last edited by TxBrewer; 07-10-2017 at 05:06 PM.
TxBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message