Surf fishing crystal beach - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM   #21
Blueshoes
Registered Users-pm+

Blueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to Pirate
You would be very surprised what a 7-8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle will catch. MUCH better hook up ratio than the big mustads in my opinion. If you are kayaking baits out, which, i skim read this thread so you may be, but if you are then I would go with the 14-16/0 mustads, 20 is overkill for texas. Casted baits i would highly consider using the gamakatsus. They make them in a 4x strong but weve caught sharks up to 7'6" with the single x strong.

Unless you just want to get some fish on the board, i wouldnt bother with shrimp. Getting hard heads off all the time gets annoying quick haha. If you can throw a net, live mullet would probably be my go to. If the menhaden are in close enough to throw a net at then those would also be good. Sand trout, croaker...the usual coastal species are all good bait
Blueshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
etx fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

etx fisherman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I doubt I kayak anything out. Just gonna cast from beach and see what happens. I plan on using what I catch in cast net mostly. But the wife and kids just like catching fish so I will probably, the way it sounds, be taking off many hardheads. Maybe I will.hook something that will make the reels sing.
etx fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #23
matagordamudskipper
Registered Users-pm+

matagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Pirate
You'll also catch a lot more salty cats and pup sharks using small hooks. Personally I target quality not quantity when fishing for myself. If you really want a top notch hook up ratio build a kingfish leader with 3x VMC'S trebles, hard on all species fish and shark but it will bring in just about any torpedo or sub out there up to few hundred pounds. Hardheads get annoying but catch enough you can take them off for years no pliers or pokes necessary, depending on blood alcohol level.
More than one way to skin a cat or catch fish. I've caught some biggins on smaller tackle and vise versa.
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood, see yall on the sand or blue water...Poco is right around the corner!

Last edited by matagordamudskipper; 03-23-2016 at 06:53 AM.
matagordamudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #24
matagordamudskipper
Registered Users-pm+

matagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Pirate
BTW blue shoes 20/0 circles, 14/0 and 16/0 J hooks as well have been straighten off the Texas coast. Where do you come up with this stuff? Regardless it cracks me up, I thank you for that.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
etx fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

etx fisherman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Im not gonna get to technical when I go. Fish 3 poles. Build a shark rig out on mono and single strand and put a piece of cut bait on it. Fish a bluefish rig with dead shrimp. And throw plugs and spoons and rattle traps. Don't know enough about it to get into it deep.

But I figure a 20/0 can and will get straightened in texas. I've straightened 12/0 circles on blue cats here. But thanks for all the info.
etx fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #26
Blueshoes
Registered Users-pm+

Blueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to PirateBlueshoes has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by matagordamudskipper View Post
BTW blue shoes 20/0 circles, 14/0 and 16/0 J hooks as well have been straighten off the Texas coast. Where do you come up with this stuff? Regardless it cracks me up, I thank you for that.

i get it because my blood alcohol level is always zero when im dealing with things that can remove hands youll learn one day kiddo

I agree, I have a 16/0 mustad circle hook sitting on my end table right now that has been straightened out but i will argue all day that youre going to be more productive on smaller hooks here on the upper tx coast. After doing a bit of fishing from SLP to crystal beach for a few years, and having done NUMEROUS longline research trips, I have a pretty good idea of where the bigger sharks are. Most of them are not up here, sorry to break your heart. I dont even think ive seen a fish over about 9 foot caught inside of a few miles here on the upper coast. Think somebody entered a big tiger caught a few miles out in the tackle time last year or the year before but for the most part, i would be willing to bet 80-90% of our sharks up here are sandies, bt and spinners less than 6.5ft long
Old 04-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #27
matagordamudskipper
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshoes View Post
i get it because my blood alcohol level is always zero when im dealing with things that can remove hands youll learn one day kiddo

I agree, I have a 16/0 mustad circle hook sitting on my end table right now that has been straightened out but i will argue all day that youre going to be more productive on smaller hooks here on the upper tx coast. After doing a bit of fishing from SLP to crystal beach for a few years, and having done NUMEROUS longline research trips, I have a pretty good idea of where the bigger sharks are. Most of them are not up here, sorry to break your heart. I dont even think ive seen a fish over about 9 foot caught inside of a few miles here on the upper coast. Think somebody entered a big tiger caught a few miles out in the tackle time last year or the year before but for the most part, i would be willing to bet 80-90% of our sharks up here are sandies, bt and spinners less than 6.5ft long

Good stuff right here, can always rely on ole blueballs for a laugh. Hope you learned something from your longline trips like water temperatures and sharks!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
Ragecajun
Registered Users-pm+

Ragecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to PirateRagecajun has been promoted to Pirate
Anyone see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshoes View Post

I have a pretty good idea of where the bigger sharks are. Most of them are not up here, sorry to break your heart. I dont even think ive seen a fish over about 9 foot caught inside of a few miles here on the upper coast. ..., i would be willing to bet 80-90% of our sharks up here are sandies, bt and spinners less than 6.5ft long

Anyone see the 104" Bull Shark (8' 8") caught last year on the Texas Coast??? 2015 Sharkathon.com winner

1st Place Shark - Duke Washmon 104" Bull Shark

12.5 footer caught off Texas Pier...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ght-pier-texas

9' Bull Shark caught in Aransas Bay

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...c.php?p=610773

Texas State Record for a Tiger Shark is almost 16 foot from "the Gulf"..
Ragecajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #29
peckerwood
Registered Users-pm+

peckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
Trout, Spanish mackerel, skipjack and smaller blues than the East Coast are all topwater possibilities. If the smacks and blues are around you'll need some light wire leader.

Since you're a catfisherman you may want to ignore the previous advice regarding gafftops. They are a fun fish on light tackle and eat better than a channel cat. Their downside is slime. They make more of a mess than you can imagine. Most guys cuss them but there are a few of us who are happy to catch them.

You can reduce the hardhead catch by going with shrimp fishbites. Whiting hit those almost as well as shrimp. A 14" whiting on a light rod is a lot of fun. You can get away with very light gear for the small stuff since unlike freshwater you don't have to worry about snags.
Just had a huge plate of sail-cat fillets yesterday,and am so glad we put up with the slime.Just throw them in an old cooler with ice,and they won't be so slimy when you get ready to clean them.Learned that trick here on 2Cool.
peckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #30
Blueshoes
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragecajun View Post
Anyone see the 104" Bull Shark (8' 8") caught last year on the Texas Coast??? 2015 Sharkathon.com winner

1st Place Shark - Duke Washmon 104" Bull Shark

12.5 footer caught off Texas Pier...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ght-pier-texas

9' Bull Shark caught in Aransas Bay

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...c.php?p=610773

Texas State Record for a Tiger Shark is almost 16 foot from "the Gulf"..

are any of those from the upper coast....???? my point....

yes there are descent sharks down south but we dont see many of them up here from the beach...