A different kind of smoker build - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #41
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersilverado View Post
Got it. So if you are telling me that a small hole in the top of the charcoal shoot will not cause any issues then I have an idea I believe will work.
That is what I am saying, keep in mind if you use a 3/8" rod the bushing should be .385 so you have movement of the rod. It's not like your just popping a hole in the top.

John
jtburf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #42
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
Well don't look like much but I got the compartment under the door done. Looking at the picture now I don't like the hinge spacing. I spaced them evenly but it would probably look better with the outlets closer to the edges. Need to adjust the hinges some and decide how I am going to hold it closed. Inside the door will eventually have a pocket welded in to hold the probes and guru. I also finished the ash box door but decided it would be easier to mount with the pit laying on its back.
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #43
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
Well did a little more fitting on the door for the compartment. I probably have the fit too close for paint. Cut the top and welded it out. Started making the plates for the castors and made a pattern/ template for the front legs. I based this pattern on 2.5" tubing then ended up not having enough. So for the hell of it I made a leg out of 2". Think I like the 2" leg better.

I originally was going to put the center pin of the castor 6" out bound of the corners for stability. But ultimately decided to put the center pin directly under the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #44
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

My goal was to get this thing on wheels but I got off track on insulating. I had some 1/4 rod laying around and I created little pins. I bought some push nuts and fender washers to secure the insulation. Everything fits up tight and probably did not need any tape but I went ahead and taped the joints anyways. On a good note I ended up with only about 24"x24" of insulation left over. Hopefully I will get the side closed up and the casters on soon.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #45
bordovskyrl
Registered Users-pm+

bordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbordovskyrl has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
You guys are unbelievably talented!! Please post pics when complete and fired up.
bordovskyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #46
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Slow and steady...
Got the side on and the lifting eyes. Welded the wheel plates on and then spent the rest of the day trying to come up with a way to add a support that would not look like chit.

Some mock ups of caster supports.

I am going to try and notch the tube where it will split the corner. That will probably take me a bout 3 more patterns to figure it out, or try some pipe.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #47
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

After about 5 hours of this

Spread over multiple days after work I finally got it how I like it. Cool thing about taking the time to make the pattern is after I get it to fit, it slips over the tube so you can mark the tube.

I laid it on its back for hopefully the last time and finished welding out the legs. Mounted the ash box door and built a bracket for the door latch.

It is heavy no doubt but rolls surprisingly good. Will have better control once I make handles for it.
Started working on the racks and supports this morning. Hoped to have them all complete and at least racked up.

Unfortunately I ran out of shielding gas. So I decided to putt it all to get her to feel like I have done something.

With no gas I decided to learn my self how to tig with this little thing.

Played around for a few hours and about the only thing I got better at is reducing the frequency I contaminated the tungsten. Turns out scratch start might not be the easiest thing to learn on.
This is the best I could do in the few hours I played around.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #48
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Well got all the rails welded in then put in some pieces above the rails to prevent the shelves from tilting forward. Built all the shelves then made a little door that looks like packman. The small door is to let the temperature probes pass through from the outside while mostly closing off the hole from the inside.

I think I am going to keep moving with the small details. Then once they are done I can fire it up to make sure it works properly. If all goes well then all it will lack is the back and paint.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #49
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Lots of work with little to show. When I bought all the door latches I planned on using one latch on the cook chamber door. The door is plenty stout that one latch would be fine but well.....
I spent half a day drilling and tapping holes for the latches. Then started making a tie bar for two latches I recently decided to put on the door. Took the entire day to get it 100% done but it looks awesome.

I came up with another design for the handles to move the thing around so hopefully next weekend I will have time to work on those.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #50
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
Looks great, now is the point where all the small tid bits eat at time and do not show a lot of progress.

Keep up the good work.
John
jtburf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message