San Luis Pass Surf - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
aztec7734
Registered Users-pm+

aztec7734 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Planning to go to San Luis Pass for some surf fishing? Is it better at night or day time. It's going to be my first time on the beach. I have only used my surf rods on a pier. So any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks aztec7734
aztec7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #42
TexHepCat
Registered Users-pm+

TexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to Pirate
Aztec,

I've not had much experience fishing the surf at night, but from what I hear it is better than fishing during the day. Usually the wind lays down at night which is good for casting and bait placement, but bad for bugs. I stayed out just after sunset my last trip and thought I was gonna get eaten alive.

Looks like I'll be hitting Follet's Saturday morning instead of Friday. If conditions are right (and I don't forget the bug spray) I might try to spend the night.

Bait placement is probably the most important thing to get right when fishing the surf. You need to be able to put a bait consistently in the guts between the bars. Most of my early morning pre-dawn specs have come from the 1st gut. Sometime betwee 8 and 9 am I move to the 2nd gut. When I was younger I'd wade out far enough to put bait in the 3rd gut, but I rarely do that anymore. I now have better casting gear that allows me to cast farther instead of wading out to throw. Always fish where you see nervous bait. And make sure you have a good supply of fresh bait when the tides are moving. I never catch fish during slack tide.

If you make it across the Pass to Follet's and see me be sure to stop and say hello.

Good luck,

THC
TexHepCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #43
keithw
Registered Users-pm+

keithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Heading down!

I've been going down there for the last 3 months or so but I haven't been in about three weeks! Last trip down I caught my first redfish it was awesome. Thinking about heading down this weekend has anyone been there lately? Is the red tide affecting the area at all? Any info is much appreciated.
keithw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #44
TexHepCat
Registered Users-pm+

TexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to PirateTexHepCat has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw View Post
I've been going down there for the last 3 months or so but I haven't been in about three weeks! Last trip down I caught my first redfish it was awesome. Thinking about heading down this weekend has anyone been there lately? Is the red tide affecting the area at all? Any info is much appreciated.
I believe the Red Tide scare was more of a Red Herring. I ended up fishing there last Saturday and saw no indication of Red Tide problems.

I will be down there on and off for the next 7 days and will post my trips. The cool front coming through tomorrow might turn things on again.

Good luck,

THC
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #45
keithw
Registered Users-pm+

keithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerkeithw has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Thanks THC! I can't wait to get down there!
keithw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #46
AXLE
Registered Users-pm+

AXLE is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Heading down there in early am 2marrow. Plan on making a full day of it. I'll post the results when I get back.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #47
AXLE
Registered Users-pm+

AXLE is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Got back late last nite. We caught a total of 16 fish. started b4 daylight on Follets Ile-2fish=small Jack Crevelle, Black Drum(released). Pass Pier location=2 Ladyfish(released) 1 Red, 1 Black Drum both keepers on dead shrimp. Moved south to surf @ house on the point=1 Red on silver spoon(17" released) 3 Whiting or Sandtrout on dead shrimp. Moved to Galveston side @ bridge=2 Reds on finger mullet(released) 2 Flounder on finger mullet(both 17"). 1 Mack(released). We dont go very often so I consider this a good trip. Water was fairly clear. Wind got strong around 11am. I'll post pics when I figure out how to do it. PS-saw some guys catching Bull Reds.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #48
TexHepCat
Registered Users-pm+

Here are my reports for last Sunday (Oct 2) and today (Oct 4).

Oct 2nd: My wife decided to stay home so I was solo on this trip. I set up about 6:30 AM at Galveston West Beach near the last water tower. I'd stopped on the way and bought a few large dead shad to tide me over until I'd caught some mullet or other bait fish. Well about 5 minutes after I'd cast out a shad head a 40+ inch bull red (see pic) picked it up. Thought the day was going to be a good one, but this was the only fish worth mentioning for the entire day. A couple of tourists came by and asked what I was catching. I told them not much was biting. They replied it seemed like a lot of work for nothing. I sort of told them it dang sure ain't work and it absolutely ain't for nothing. They sort of quickly moved on down the beach and thankfully left me alone when they passed back by. I fished there for about 2 more hours and didn't loose another bait. The wind and current became so strong I couldn't keep my bait out with my heaviest surf weight (8 oz). So I moved to the Galveston side of SLP on the gulf side of the bridge. The outgoing tide was full of dead seagrass so I quickly got tired of reeling in the pounds of grass that collected on my surf rod's lines. I tried throwing some Gulp shrimp and caught a few undersized flounder but nothing else. Ended up reading a good book until about 5 PM then called it a day.
Name:  PA020368.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  56.4 KB
Oct 4th: Today my wife went with me so the picture quality is much better. Started out on Galveston side of SLP about 11:00 AM. Only fish caught was a near legal flounder (see pics) caught on Gulp shrimp. About 4:00 PM we went to Jamiaca beach and had dinner then returned to the surf near the last water tower. Threw a silver spoon and caught a few skip jacks but nothing else. The surf and the pass were both loaded with finger mullet (see pics). While I was out throwing the spoon I saw something floating out past the 3rd bar. There were 3 pelicans that kept flying tight low circles around it. I soon was able to make it out as a dead pelican. I like to think the 3 flying around it were paying their last respects.

Anyway we packed it in for the day and headed home.
Name:  IMG_7874.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  62.4 KB
Name:  IMG_7876.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  112.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7948.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  IMG_8277.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  44.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7852.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  39.4 KB

THC
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #49
johnmyjohn
Registered Users-pm+

johnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Pirate
I like SLP, I just wish the condo people would let the regular people have some more beach to drive on and fish. It gets crowded sometimes.
johnmyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #50
TexHepCat
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyjohn View Post
I like SLP, I just wish the condo people would let the regular people have some more beach to drive on and fish. It gets crowded sometimes.
Roger that! I remember when I could get on the beach at the west end of Seawall Blvd and stay on it till I hit he pass. I used to cruise up and down the beach in my old Volkswagon looking for nervous bait and working birds. Those days are long gone.

THC