surf fishing - Page 10 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #91
JRATexas
Registered Users-pm+

JRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to PirateJRATexas has been promoted to Pirate
Nevermind... after reading the second post I take it that is was pretty cold and you wouldnt be in shorts and a T shirt fully soaked. Got my first bull about a month ago... approx 46 inches... I was kindof just messing around with an old surf rod setup my uncle had. I got hooked by that fish and have since used the posts on this forum to set up 2 surf rods...

Been having trouble with big strikes but no fish on the other end... and smaller fish eating the bait slowly. Needless to say, I need help haha
JRATexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #92
born to fish
Registered Users-pm+

born to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirateborn to fish has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRATexas View Post
Nevermind... after reading the second post I take it that is was pretty cold and you wouldnt be in shorts and a T shirt fully soaked. Got my first bull about a month ago... approx 46 inches... I was kindof just messing around with an old surf rod setup my uncle had. I got hooked by that fish and have since used the posts on this forum to set up 2 surf rods...

Been having trouble with big strikes but no fish on the other end... and smaller fish eating the bait slowly. Needless to say, I need help haha
Are you using circle hooks? If not, the next odds of getting consistent hookups in my own humble opinion is, # 5 or 6 circle hooks. Spider weights, chosen heavy enough to suit conditions. And just strong enough drag to allow the fish to run a little but tight enough that it will cause the circle hook to slip into the hinge (corner) of the fishes jaw, and basically if fished properly, the fish will hook itself. Also, if fishing with a circle hook, you don't want to "jerk" on the rod, as you would normally, just tighten up on the drag and cause tension, kinda just easily lean back on the rod. Circle hooks are easy to jerk right out of the fishes mouth. A little tension on the line will cause the circle hook to ease right into the hinge and your hookups will increase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
born to fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #93
TxBrewer
Registered Users-pm+

TxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to PirateTxBrewer has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by born to fish View Post
Are you using circle hooks? If not, the next odds of getting consistent hookups in my own humble opinion is, # 5 or 6 circle hooks. Spider weights, chosen heavy enough to suit conditions. And just strong enough drag to allow the fish to run a little but tight enough that it will cause the circle hook to slip into the hinge (corner) of the fishes jaw, and basically if fished properly, the fish will hook itself. Also, if fishing with a circle hook, you don't want to "jerk" on the rod, as you would normally, just tighten up on the drag and cause tension, kinda just easily lean back on the rod. Circle hooks are easy to jerk right out of the fishes mouth. A little tension on the line will cause the circle hook to ease right into the hinge and your hookups will increase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
What weight is typically needed on the spider weights? Also is there a recommended lb drag setting? I am very new only get out once or twice a year on family vacations to Matagorda. Have some friends coming down from Minnesota this year and they are very eager to catch some fish. I am now on the hook to deliver and as an amateur I am a bit nervous.
TxBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #94
TXSurffisher
Registered Users-pm+

TXSurffisher is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I'm also interested in doing this surf fishing workshop/seminar. Any chance for a repeat? Thanks in advance.
TXSurffisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #95
Vulash
Registered Users-pm+

Vulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to PirateVulash has been promoted to Pirate
I'd be interested as well
Vulash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #96
the toninator
Banned

the toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Piratethe toninator has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrewer View Post
What weight is typically needed on the spider weights? Also is there a recommended lb drag setting? I am very new only get out once or twice a year on family vacations to Matagorda. Have some friends coming down from Minnesota this year and they are very eager to catch some fish. I am now on the hook to deliver and as an amateur I am a bit nervous.
3, 4 and 6oz depending on conditions. Unless its just totally windy and chopped up I'll start low and if the weight doesnt set, move to a higher one.

I use a moderate drag, dont know the lb but it's not so light the waves pull it out but it's not so heavy it would take a 4x4 to get slack. Lightish to Moderate tug at the spool. Maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 of the overall drag.
the toninator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message