Tuna Questions - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
JS
Registered Users-pm+

JS is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Tuna Questions

Hey guys:

New to the forum and really enjoy the information shared here.

Questions for you tuna guys:

1. If fluorocarbon leader is sometimes needed during a chunk bite, why not just have a fluorocarbon topshot with spectra backing?

2. Can you guys recommend any stand-up rods in the $150 range that would match up with a TLD 50 2 speed?

3. If you had $200 to spend on a lure/hook/swivel/iron etc. lineup for non-trolling (i.e. stand-up) applications for BFT and YFT, what would your lineup consist of?

4. Other than the big Torium or Trinidad, what other reels (non spinning)would you recommend for casting plugs for YFT, assuming spectra backing would be used?

Thanks for the help!

JS
JS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
1) I suppose one could do that. I do not personally use flourocarbon - I have yet to find it necessary to get bit. I do carry it for if I ever do need it though - however in 2 or 3 years I've taken it along I have yet to use it.

2) A 50 size 2-speed reel, you are going to be fishing 60lb on it I assume...maybe 80lb. I wouldn't go above that on a factor TLD50II, they have been known to crack. I'd go to Bass Pro Shops and look at their store brand rods - I forget the name, someone else will post up but it will be apparent when you get there (Offshore Angler maybe?). If anyone has an all roller 60-80lb class rod for $150, that would be it. You might find a used Calstar or Seeker on the Allcoast trader board for that amount but you'd have to act very quick as it would move fast.

3) $200 won't get you very far in a world where a single trolling lure will set you back $25-40 easily. You'll want several sizes of circle hooks - 1/0 to 8/0 most likely. That alone can set you back $150 or so if you buy say 25-50 each. You'll want several iron jigs - be that 8oz Diamond Jigs, or Tady, Ironman, Salas, Kicker etc - scrambled egg, blue/white, blue/chrome, chrome, all white - those with glow backs are good. Each will set you back $10 or so. A pack of 200lb swivels - $25, Say a cedar plug or two for trolling - another $20. Each Yozuri Bull GT Popper will run you $20, $14 or so if you opt for the smaller Hydro Popper. If you want something such as a Yozuri Bonita or Braid Marauder - $25 or more (each). $200 just doesn't go too far.

4) For casting plugs, surface iron, jigs, etc. I see no need for recommending anything other than the Torium. It is reasonably inexpensive, casts better than just about anything else, and is a very good reel. I wouldn't consider the Trinidad (IMO) as it is nearly the same thing, only more expensive. You might cast an eye at a ProGear, if you go that route replace the drags with HT100s. My personal choice is a spinner, don't know why you preclude them (maybe you allready have one?)

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS
Hey guys:

New to the forum and really enjoy the information shared here.

Questions for you tuna guys:

1. If fluorocarbon leader is sometimes needed during a chunk bite, why not just have a fluorocarbon topshot with spectra backing?

2. Can you guys recommend any stand-up rods in the $150 range that would match up with a TLD 50 2 speed?

3. If you had $200 to spend on a lure/hook/swivel/iron etc. lineup for non-trolling (i.e. stand-up) applications for BFT and YFT, what would your lineup consist of?

4. Other than the big Torium or Trinidad, what other reels (non spinning)would you recommend for casting plugs for YFT, assuming spectra backing would be used?

Thanks for the help!

JS
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
mcgolfer
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
1.straight spectre with a short wind-on leader with flourocarbon will work great. i use flourcarbon religously.
2. try chaos rods or offshore anglers captain's choice rods.
3.chrome diamond jigs and ringed owner circle hooks in assorted sizes.
4. i use kaikons but you might look at avet if you are price sensitive. try charkbait.com for avet line of reels....rick
mcgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
Earl LOVES Avet reels.. I think he has 5 or 6 of em in every size..
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
BYTE your tounge! Notice they weren't in my reccomendation list

That will be a cold day in hell!

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo
Earl LOVES Avet reels.. I think he has 5 or 6 of em in every size..
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
txseadog
Registered Users-pm+

txseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetxseadog has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
1. I'm not sure if fluorocarbon makes that much difference and I mainly use straight tie mono.

2. Try one of BPS's Captain Choice standup rods for $129 http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
or for a little more money a Seeker BA 660XH-6' RS/RT from Charkbait for $169 http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrodskrEC.htm

3. Start simple. I'd spend about the following on these items
$40 on 4-8 oz diamond jigs
$50 on 4/0,7/0,12/0 Mustard demon circle hooks, assorted Eagle Claw live bait hooks (model 118)
$10 on few 25 yard spool of wire leader for toothly critter
$10 on sabiki rigs
$20 on big BPS Offshore Angler poppers
$10 on assorted weights (a few bags of 1 oz rubber core and some 4-8 oz bank sinkers)
$20 on jigs (Storm wild eyes, bucktails, curly tails)
$40 on trolling baits (a cedar plug, blue & white ilander sea, a tuna clone)

4. For about $100 look at the Penn 545 GS
txseadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
Earl is just trying to keep anyone else from buying them, he wants them all for himself. His secret weapons.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #8
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo
Earl is just trying to keep anyone else from buying them, he wants them all for himself. His secret weapons.
I think Earl was sleeping with one on this latest trip.
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:48 AM   #9
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Not of my own free will I wasn't! Don't make me into some sort of Avet ho'

Earl
Old 05-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Captn C
Reel Gambler

Captn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to Pirate
Bass Pro Shop carries one brand of "house rod" that I like and it maybe the one Earl was referring to....Ocean Master. I have 7 of them and the Capt. Stout uses the big bent butt rods for trolling.

I think for casting poppers the rod has a lot to do with your casting distance. I have so far out distanced everyone that has fished around me with my AV-80 Okuma and Billy Stix rod and I feel the rod is more the reason, not the reel. I have not had any problem with Okuma so far, but it is not built as well as the Penn spinners. So far by biggest problem has been bumping the bail on the rail, which closes the bail and breaks my popper off.

I know you didn't include a spinner on your list, but I would reconsider and look into the possibilty of using one.

Nothing good would come from picking a backlash and have 100lb YFT hit an idle popper.
Captn C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message