white bass 101 on Lake Livingston - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Spam white bass 101 on Lake Livingston

I have been getting many requests from 2coolers wanting some help with white bass fishing. So many I wrote this to cut down on typing time. I posted it as a reply recently but the thread has dropped down low so I thought I would bump it up for those who are interested. I wrote some similar info last year summer, but can't find that thread.
It is just MHBO, and I hope it helps those who are just learning the white bass ropes on the board. It is mainly Livingston specific

I have fished for white bass on the South end of Livingston for 10 years now. I have about 80 payoff white bass waypoints on my GPS. Some are places that everyone knows about, the Hump, the Lump, the Southwest end of the Pine Island, and the State Park jetty, others I keep to myself. The sweet spots I have were developed by always marking waypoints when I catch white bass or stripers, over time they cluster around certain areas with structure that hold fish most of the time. I also try to make myself try spots that I have never fished before to keep developing new spots. I fish mostly from Pine Island South on the lake because it is such a big lake that I was overwhelmed at first from the all of the reports from the 190 roadbed all the way to the dam. So I made a decision to concentrate on the South end and learn it well.
There is a screen on my GPS unit that will show all of the waypoints I have and the clustering around certain places is very evident. For some of those I edit the points that cluster tight around one point, and use it as starting place. When I go there I cruise around looking for the school that hangs around that spot. Knowing what white bass look like on my screen is a big help. I stare at the sonar screen all most every moment I’m fishing and since I always use my unit set on manual and 80% sensitivity and set to show pixels ( I never use fish symbols) I have learned to “read” it well. It gives me allot of information.
One of the best things to do to help to learn good spots is to take time to look at the screen when you are directly over and catching white bass. That way you develop an idea of what they look like on your screen, and how they appear when they are active and feeding hard.
It is especially helpful to know the area that you fish well enough to know that when a signal that appears as a rock/stump in a place where you know there are none, then it might be a school of white bass.
It is very helpful to know what shad look like on your screen and what schools of shad look like. Big “balls” of shad are great indicators of white bass or stripers nearby, because shad shape themselves into a ball when they are being chased by predator fish. If you see a ball of shad and some elliptical signals around the ball and above and below it, drop a bait, you’re in bass.
There are a couple of common denominators for white bass spots on the lake, one is a drop that goes from 9’ to 20’ quickly usually close to the bank, another is a rise that tops at 25’ with 40’+ water around it in open water.
Lake Livingston has a tremendous population of both shad and white bass. The trick to catching whites is to find where they ambush shad, like the places I mentioned above. These spots are great because the whites will hang around them and wait for a school of shad to swim over the rise or off the drop off and then they can ambush them.
I only troll when I can’t find a school on my usual spots and I troll at least 2 rods with jet divers and trailing pet spoons or crappie jigs. If I have them I troll one with a 10’ diver and another with a 20’ diver.
One of the best things to have in your boat is a couple of marker buoys that you can toss over when you find a school.
There are allot of finer points to white bass fishing, but these are pretty good white bass 101 tools.
SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome post SS. I hope to get up shortly and catch me a few. Been working alot lately and hate seeing all of these reports of the easy pickins..
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
randyrandy
Registered Users-pm+

randyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosunrandyrandy has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
Well done SS.
randyrandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
NitroNX898
I can't wait to go fishing

NitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to PirateNitroNX898 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks SS, you are a helpful man
NitroNX898 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
FISHNNUTT
Saved by Jesus Blessed by God

FISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to PirateFISHNNUTT has been promoted to Pirate
Marker bouys. Good idea!!

Good post SS
FISHNNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
tngbmt
Registered Users-pm+

tngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Piratetngbmt has been promoted to Pirate
wow, almost like structure fishing for the elusive snapper. i'm dying to take a boat to the lake. maybe i can get my deep water fix in shore
tngbmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
wareagle
Registered Users-pm+

wareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Piratewareagle has been promoted to Pirate
As usual, great post.
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
SaltH2oAssassin
Miami Dol-Phan

SaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to PirateSaltH2oAssassin has been promoted to Pirate
Bravo,bravo......

Great post as usual!
SaltH2oAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Corey270
Team Blue Runner

Corey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCorey270 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Very helpful info...great post
Corey270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
I put this info into play this morning as my friend from Kansas had not had enough yet. He brought his wife and son and we went right to where we slayed them yesterday, and,....blank screen on the sonar, no fish.
I "said they are still around we just need to look around a little." I let another boat that was patrolling around the same area leave before I got serious about it and soon found another monster school in 25'.

The boat had not even swung out on the anchor line before whites and stripers were hitting the deck. We stayed until we had a 4 person limit, my friend wanted to take some fish back home and I thought better him than me when it comes to filleting a 100 white bass!
Rachael asked me not to take a pic of her with the little yellow bass, so I did anyway, lol.
Poor Josh, he fished on the other side of the boat from Laureen, Rachael, and me, I swear he had to catch 10 stripers to one white bass on his side, must be that pirate thing he has going on.
We had to catch about 3 stripers that were 15" to every white bass. By the time we were done my hands were ripped up, as I forgot to bring some rags to handle those thrashing baby stripers, fun to catch, heck to unhook.
We had a great time and it was a beautiful morning, a good day to be on the lake.
SS
Attached Images

Last edited by shadslinger; 05-28-2009 at 12:22 PM.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message