Lets talk scopes - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
RandyM
Registered Users-pm+

RandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to Pirate
http://www.vortexoptics.com/
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
housewolf
Registered Users-pm+

housewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack3476 View Post
Really liking my nightforce shv, I’d throw that one in for a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of the ones mentioned so far, this is the only one I know of that’s available FFP but it’s 4-14 so I don’t believe anyone has mentioned a scope that meets all OP’s criteria.
housewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
RandyM
Registered Users-pm+

RandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to PirateRandyM has been promoted to Pirate
VIPER® PST™ 4-16X50 FFP RIFLESCOPE — First Focal Plane

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #14
housewolf
Registered Users-pm+

housewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post

Illuminated reticle too. Problem with most FFP scopes is the really fine reticle isn’t what I’d consider “optimal” for hunting (YMMV) particularly in low light. The illuminated crosshairs help out with that significantly.

FWIW; the NF SHV FFP 4-14 has an illuminated reticle also
housewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

I have two of these Vortex and a NF SHV and 3-4 other Vortex HS scopes. The PST FFP are excellent scopes, not quite as good as NF but are 1/2 the cost. I like the HS scopes for hunting. I was a Leupold guy for over 40 years on mostly hunting rifles. Also excellent glass.

IME, the Vortex as the best value on the market today.

For the record, are you talking about buying ONE scope and move it around on several rifles? If so, that would NEVER work for me. I love to shoot, but I hate sighting in rifles. IMO, you will wear out the screws on the rings and the notches in the turrets switching one scope between 3-4 rifles. I have 3 rifles now that I need to sight in due to a scope "trickle up" due to a recent purchase. As soon as it dries up some and isn't 18 degrees I will shoot them in.

Also, IME, most hunting does not lend to ranging and doping. You need to zero the scope for a yardage, all of my hunting rifles are zeroed at 200 yds. MEMORIZE the hold overs or dope on the reticle to the various yardages you might need to shoot. When a trophy buck walks out, he normally isn't there to eat corn, he is there chasing a doe or just crossing. You generally have just seconds to decide if he is the one for you and shoot.

Last edited by RB II; 11-14-2018 at 08:17 PM.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

I run a PST gen1 6-24x50 FFP on my Ruger precision rifle, it’s a good scope for the money.

Still think the Leupold VX5 CDS is a solid option. Benefit of first focal plane for me is accurate holdovers using a reticle. Downside is how small the reticle gets at lower magnification. With the SFP Leupold, the proper CDS turret and a range finder, you just dial the range of your target and send it.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
First off thanks for all the replies, I was interested in hearing what has worked for others so i greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I got one Zeiss HD5 and ditched all my other scopes. 3-15x have hunted plains game in Namibia, south Texas, East Texas. Long range work on paper out to 1000 and kill shots on game out to 700. No turrets needed. Get the RZ800 or RZ600, the Zeiss app. Sight in and use the app and it is immediate and intuitive. Accurate as a range finder as well when you learn how. $800 per scope and spend the other $ on working up bullets or another caliber.....or on booking an actual hunt. I made kill shots on game at over 500 yards in a fraction of a second....

I have em on a dozen rifles from .204 to .416. The app is dead on.

Over the years you have talked about this scope so much they should be paying you. And I have looked at it a hand full of times because of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
Leupold VX5i with the CDS turret option.

Find ammo that the gun likes, whether it be handloads or factory ammo, get the required data for it(find someone with a chronograph if you don’t have one, majority of manufactures can give you the BC of bullets if you can’t find reliable data online) and send it in to Leupold. They will make a custom CDS turret and send it back to you. Install, zero the rifle, reset the turret to ZERO. Need to make a 300yard shot? Dial it to 3. Need to make a 500yd shot? Dial it to 5.

They are sweet. My buddy has one on his 204 ruger, and after we got the data(he shoots factory hornady ammo) and he installed the turret, it’s within 1-1.5in or so out to 400yds, and that could easily be us causing the slight deviation. I believe they have both FFP and SFP options in the VX5, and with the CDS, you really don’t need FFP.

So this caught my interest. I guess I never thought the process through and realized that the FFP scopes are best suited for hold over recitals and SFP was just fine if you are using cross hairs and adjusting. I called a Leupold to confirm and he said FFP is beneficial to keeping poi the same across magnifications and if using turrets poi will not change with magnification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
I have two of these Vortex and a NF SHV and 3-4 other Vortex HS scopes. The PST FFP are excellent scopes, not quite as good as NF but are 1/2 the cost. I like the HS scopes for hunting. I was a Leupold guy for over 40 years on mostly hunting rifles. Also excellent glass.

IME, the Vortex as the best value on the market today.

For the record, are you talking about buying ONE scope and move it around on several rifles? If so, that would NEVER work for me. I love to shoot, but I hate sighting in rifles. IMO, you will wear out the screws on the rings and the notches in the turrets switching one scope between 3-4 rifles. I have 3 rifles now that I need to sight in due to a scope "trickle up" due to a recent purchase. As soon as it dries up some and isn't 18 degrees I will shoot them in.

Also, IME, most hunting does not lend to ranging and doping. You need to zero the scope for a yardage, all of my hunting rifles are zeroed at 200 yds. MEMORIZE the hold overs or dope on the reticle to the various yardages you might need to shoot. When a trophy buck walks out, he normally isn't there to eat corn, he is there chasing a doe or just crossing. You generally have just seconds to decide if he is the one for you and shoot.

No sir on the one scope for multiple rifles. More on the thought of having one model scope with different magnifications for different rifles. So on my sbr i could put a 1-6X, then on a hunting rifle something like a 4-16X and so forth. That way no matter the rifle or magnification you have the same scopes on all rifles and no matter what you pick up you just dial the custom turret to the desired range.

So it looks like for what my goal is I don't need a FFP scope.

Once again thanks for the replies, I asked because as we now see my criteria of wants has been better formulated. I need to look more at all the recommendations, then i will buy one and see if it is going to work out for me like i expect.

I just keep going away from the hold over recitals because i dont want to have to remember elevations for each gun even though I have a card on my current hold over gun.

Keep on with the input.
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #18
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
I’m not sure what you hunt and where but keep in mind that any CDS turret system will only be accurate for the environmental factors it was built around. For instance, if you hunt whitetails at home and base your CDS data off of this and then travel to Alaska to hunt Sitka blacktails, your CDS won’t be accurate bc you’ve changed elevation, temperature, humidity, etc. If you don’t travel and hunt, it may not be a big deal.

I like to stay with standard MOA turrets and just make a dope card for each rifle at differing elevations. This works for me whether I’m deer hunting at home or hunting the mountains in some foreign land.
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #19
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynoscion View Post
I’m not sure what you hunt and where but keep in mind that any CDS turret system will only be accurate for the environmental factors it was built around. For instance, if you hunt whitetails at home and base your CDS data off of this and then travel to Alaska to hunt Sitka blacktails, your CDS won’t be accurate bc you’ve changed elevation, temperature, humidity, etc. If you don’t travel and hunt, it may not be a big deal.

I like to stay with standard MOA turrets and just make a dope card for each rifle at differing elevations. This works for me whether I’m deer hunting at home or hunting the mountains in some foreign land.
100% true. If you are shooting in Texas, it may be dead on. Leupold prints the temp/altitude/ect that it was worked up with on the CDS dial. I believe they ask what the temps/altitude/ect were when you shot when making the CDS dial. Go to cold weather and altitude in Colorado... it won’t be the same. That is true for any dope chart, but it’s much easier to get a new dope chart off your new environmental changes than it is a new CDS dial. Where you may be going to hunt is another thing to consider, large changes can be enough to really throw off that CDS dial.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what the dial is worked up for. It will have your load data, the altitude and temp it was worked up for. I’m still somewhat green when it comes to how much change those environmental factors can have on your shots. Others who know can maybe chime in on what a difference going from sea level and 80*f to 5000ft and 45*f could have.
Attached Images

Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Temperature seems to have a greater affect than altitude in the calibers I shoot. The difference between 85 degrees and 40 degrees at 500 yards is a hair over 1 MOA in my 7mmRem SAUM This could be the difference between a good shot and a marginal shot or even worse, a miss. Add in the altitude factor and humidity and it’s a definite miss.
Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message