New aquarium thread - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Hobbies Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
locolobo
Registered Users-pm+

locolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Pirate
New aquarium thread

Haven't seen many recent aquarium threads So I thought I would start another.
I have had aquariums for most of my adult life. My present tank is a 55 gal std which I have had for 22 years. Started it out as saltwater. Got my water and decorations from the beach. Found out you do not want to use beach sand with an underground (gravel) filter. After I figured that one out I set about getting fish. Croaker, piggies, shrimp ( they didn't last long) mud minnows, small black drum, Even had a ribbon fish. The small flounder was the one that intrigued me the most. About 6" long but man could he eat some shrimp.
The tank is fresh now and has been for about 18 years. I have a school of Danios, couple angels, some neons, a chinese algae eater and a couple african cichlids. They are not causing trouble now as they are small but I may have to do something with them as they get bigger.
I am in the process of planting the tank as I have always liked that look.
So let's hear from some more of you aquarium folks.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

BrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to Pirate
Don't have many good pics on my phone, but will take some this evening after work. I got my 5th aquarium setup two days ago. I have a 93 gallon custom built tank, 48 gallon, 35 gallon, 7 gallon, and a 5 gallon. The 7 gallon is the fluva edge I just set up and will be my first planted tank. I will be stocking it with Cherry Red Shrimp...have 50 ordered already. My big tank was an all African Cichlid tank, but due to a power outage and plumbing malfunction while out of town I lost nearly all the fish. I would like to get a nice reef tank going, but know little to nothing about saltwater. I also don't have room for another tank, however I have entertained the idea of busting into a wall and making a built in tank.

I also have a 2500 gallon Koi pond in the backyard.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
locolobo
Registered Users-pm+

locolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Piratelocolobo has been promoted to Pirate
plants?

Brandon, or anyone, I am getting started on planting my tank. Have always wanted live plants as the plastics looked.....fake. I have purchased a 48" T-5 twin tube fixture (not HO) and added Seachem fluorite to the substrate. I have 4 plants at the moment, I bought an Anubias Nana and Java fern from Petco (I know. Not the best place but most convenient ). The Nana was a small one and while attempting to attach it to rocks the rhizome broke into 3 pieces. So I now have 3 little Nanas and a little java fern. The Nanas seem to be growing some (been 3 weeks) but the fern is shrivelling @ the top and hasn't grown. But it has greened up some. They are slow growing so maybe I'mjust anxious. Will be placing an on-line order for a few more soon, that maybe will grow faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
I have a new 44 gal ready to go...but figured out the lighting is not what I want for a saltwater.....my neighbor down the street has a bunch of new baby cichlids that I could have and watch grow.....

But watching the Mahi thread has me leaning back to saltwater......just can't decided
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
locolobo
Registered Users-pm+

If you are planning a reef/coral tank the brighter lights are needed but I had mine set up with natives many moons ago. Piggies, croakers,shad, whatever would fit. Even had a small flounder for a while. Would even go seining in the surf or Brazos @ the mouth just to see what I would come up with. Plastic coral and the flourescent light that came with the tank. Looked good and I never lost a fish due to lighting conditions. Got my water from the beach.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Tholchak
Registered Users-pm+

Tholchak is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I currently have a small 10 gallon Cichlid tank that I am wanting to upgrade. The fish I have are getting rather large and dont show any sign of slowing down. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a nice tank/cabinet combo?
Tholchak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholchak View Post
I currently have a small 10 gallon Cichlid tank that I am wanting to upgrade. The fish I have are getting rather large and dont show any sign of slowing down. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a nice tank/cabinet combo?
This place.

http://www.thefishgallery.com/houston
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

BrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingcacher View Post
I second this, but be warned they don't sell junk and the price reflects it. My second choice would be Aquarium World on 290. Now if you want a real bargain and still better quality than Petsmart/Petco I recommend Fishland located at Eldredge & Westheimer.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
That guy at aquarium world is a bu tthole.....can't stand him and refuse to pay him money so I can feel like I'm wasting his time

There is a wholesale tank maker in pasendena.... I will see if I can get his number....

He makes the matching cabinets too
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #10
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post
That guy at aquarium world is a bu tthole....
I agree with this, but I admit they do get some of my money. I can spend hours in a quality fish store.