2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Best catfish bait that will stay on the hook?

7K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  cva34 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't targeted Catfish before. However, I had to take a friend and his grandson fishing on one of our local lakes yesterday. They just wanted bluegills/brim and we caught a few.

There were three decent sized (20 /25 inches) catfish hanging around. I had purchased some "stink bait" from WalMart in anticipation of trying to catch one of those cats. It just melted off of the hook.

I did try again this morning and got lucky. The bait stayed on long enough for one cat, but the kid and his grandparent were no longer with me.

Any suggestions on something I can buy?

thanks, rich

#2 ·
The key with Danny king's punch bait is to put more on than you think. After several times baiting it each time the hook will get stickier and hold Bait longer. Don't get frustrated with the first few falling off (it's just extra chum). Certainly a treble hook is mandatory.

Obviously it is not meant for casting.

Or can try shrimp or shad. Shrimp hooks have the extra barbs on the shaft to keep from sliding down. Easy to find frozen but end up smelling almost as bad as the punch bait!

#7 ·
Based on a video that a guy on a TN. website put me onto, I have made up three batches of cut chicken with Kool-Aid; Pepper-Garlic; Vanilla; Scotch; Red wine and probably some more stuff.

Each batch is different and marked so I can know what might work or might not work.

Looks like I will have some fun this week.

Thanks for the suggestions. Depending on my initial results, I will go down each suggestion that I received here and give it a try. Just having some fun in my third childhood.

regards, richg99

#10 ·
Based on a video that a guy on a TN. website put me onto, I have made up three batches of cut chicken with Kool-Aid; Pepper-Garlic; Vanilla; Scotch; Red wine and probably some more stuff.

Each batch is different and marked so I can know what might work or might not work.

Looks like I will have some fun this week.

Thanks for the suggestions. Depending on my initial results, I will go down each suggestion that I received here and give it a try. Just having some fun in my third childhood.

regards, richg99
Just add Tequila and Hennessy to it and the cat will party on the baits! :)

I just dip my shads into punch baits.

#11 ·
Looks like this catfishing deal has a lot of nuances that I didn't expect!

Today, I'll go to the Dollar Store and buy nylons!!!! It is bad enough that I occasionally buy fingernail polish there for my ...no-longer-silver spoons... to fix them up.

Sheeesh...what are you guys getting me into??

Ha Ha
richg99

#18 ·
My catfishing buddy likes to use punch bait, and he brings along a spool of sewing thread. Put a nickle sized gob on treble hook and just wrap a foot or so of thread around it. Helps keep it on.

Later
R3F

#19 ·
CJ's

Try CJ's Punch Bait.

Never used a sponge or thread, but always fishing in colder weather, typically from Nov - Mar. Treble hook on end of leader or straight 20 lb test with bobber stopper. Cut off aluminum arrow or cross bow bolt, push hook down in bait by one hook on treble. Pull out at angle, cast as you would anything. Once you catch one, cast to same spot as you have created a "baited" hole after several casts. If it gets a little too thick (cold weather) add a little menhaden oil or gulp juice. Too thin, add some cat tails (plant not mammal). Don't bother with small container from Academy, order gallon from www.cjsbait.com.

SSNJOHN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.